SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you could have any car you have previously owned back again...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could have any car you have previously owned back again... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1969 Corvette Coupe, 427 Tri Power, Automatic and side pipes. Something was wrong with that car however, the first set of back tires only lasted one week. I think it was the alignment. Big Grin

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
I had a four door version of the Heart Doc's car. Mine was kind of a silver gray. I don't remember what year it was, but it was definitely a few years older than the pictured 1970 model, as I bought it used when I was working in Puerto Rico in the late 1960s.

It was a 2002 Tii, a very fast car that looked like an ordinary family sedan.
V-Tail, if it was a four-door and older than 1970, would likely have been a 2000 model; that was the first of the "New Class" sedans. If it was a 2002 Tii, then it was newer and a two-door. The Tii was the "Touring Injection International", used a Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection system, and (apart from the rare 2002 Turbo) was the fastest of the 2002 models.
In any case these were the cars that started BMW on the road to riches, having barely survived the financial drain of previous models such as the glorious 507, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Oh and by the way I did finally locate a 2002, right year, right color, good condition but for some reason the jerk who was selling it did not call me back as he said he would, I was ready to buy. Canyon State Classics in Arizona.
I wonder if I'm mistaken on the model designation. I know for sure that it was older than 1970, as I bought it while I was working in Puerto Rico and I returned to the mainland toward the end of 1968, just in time to catch the aftermath of the 1968 Chicago riots.

It was not injected. Four (Weber?) carburetors, one per cylinder.

It was running fine when it was turned over to the shipping company in Puerto Rico, it would not start when I received it in Chicago. Had it towed to the local BMW dealer, a very small operation at the time. Hans, the head mechanic, told me that the particular model was not sold nor supported in the U.S. and said that it would take quite some time and some back-channel dealing to get the necessary repair parts. This was fifty years ago, so I might have lost some details.

I needed a car right then and decided not to wait, so I sold that to the dealer and bought a new 1600, which went to my wife a year or so later in a divorce.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I would love to have my 2006 Pontiac GTO back.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
First car, 66 Mustang coupe 289 4 speed.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, check out this Wikipedia page and see what model seems to have been yours. There was a 2000Tii but it did have Kugelfischer fuel injection, not Webers.

Wikipedia: BMW New Class

Video of 1967 2000ti being driven in Welsh time trial

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a car I could claim I wanted back, but given that my cars have included two Ford Pintos, a '81 Ford Mustang (not one of the "cool" years, to say the least, and one that had to be coasted to the dealer for trade-in at 40K miles), a Toyota FX16 (that was almost as much trouble as the Mustang), a Toyota Tercel, two Nissan pickups (the latter of the two wasn't bad, but that first...yikes), a Dodge Caravan family van, a gutless Buick Rendezvous, and so on...I can't say I'd want any of 'em back. There was a Toyota Celica that was kind of sporty, and a Volve S60T (Turbo), both of which were kind of fun to drive, but both required major engine repairs (valve boring on the Volvo, as I seem to recall) that shook my confidence in each...plus that Volvo had the turn radius of a ocean liner. We still have our '06 Acura MDX that has served our family for a long time without problems, and I have a lot of great family memories in that one...so I will miss seeing that one go (right now it's parked full-time in the driveway, used for the kids' car when they come back from college for the summer and Christmas). I'm presently driving a '16 Acura TLX, and it's also a terrific car that I've been very pleased with. But until these last two Acuras (and my wife has a Mazda CX-5 that's been fine), my luck w/ cars hasn't been very good (though to be fair, the Caravan was actually a flawless performer, but I do not want the van back!).

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually wish I bought a Pinto or two when they were new. A friend had one that accidentally got ordered with a handling package ($12, I think) and it made a tremendous difference.

I raced them in SCCA Showroom Stock (both of my driver's schools plus my first Regional), then in IMSA's BF Goodrich Radial Challenge. They were reliable and easy to work on, and if not guaranteed First-Place finishers, they made up most of the pack. I even beat Janet Guthrie the one time I raced against her.

(Not mine!)

For street use, they were good basic transportation, but wouldn't keep up with highway traffic until you learned to keep the throttle down, at which point you even got better mileage! The classic example of an under-rated car, in my opinion.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
'72 Mustang Convertible, bright red with white top and a big V8

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
V-Tail, check out this Wikipedia page and see what model seems to have been yours. There was a 2000Tii but it did have Kugelfischer fuel injection, not Webers.

Wikipedia: BMW New Class

Video of 1967 2000ti being driven in Welsh time trial
It was 50 years ago. I really do not remember whether it was a 2000 or 2002, nor do I remember whether the suffix was Ti or Tii. Year of manufacture was probably mid 1960s, certainly nothing later than 1968, probably 1965 - 1967. I do know for sure that it was carbureted, not injected. This photo, found on Google images, looks pretty accurate, if my memory can be trusted:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold 1978 Pontiac Trans Am

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel stupid typing this, but for me it’s a 2007 6-speed V6 Honda Accord. That thing would snap my head back going up to 100 mph in third gear on the highway on ramp. I miss it.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I still have the one I would want back. It has been in the family since new, 43k miles on it. It has just been sitting since I have been building the new engine. I need to get it dropped in and go race.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
1969 1/2 Dodge Six Pack Superbee A-12 Package car. 440 Six Pack, Hemi 4 speed, 4.10 Dana 60 Suregrip Rear, Black Bucket seats with center console, Black Vinyl top, Medium Green Metallic Car. Ran 13's at 104 mph quarters on bias ply street tires. She'd be worth $120K now but sold her for $4500 in 1984. You can't keep everything...sigh.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post