SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you’re over 50 and never smoked …
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you’re over 50 and never smoked … Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Why didn’t you?

I’ve often wondered why I never fell into that trap myself. My parents were heavy lifelong smokers and I was around more smokers than nonsmokers during my entire Army career, so it wasn’t due to lack of role models.

All I can think of were two reasons: I’ve always been a bit of a contrarian who instinctively avoided following the crowd, and that’s what not smoking in my younger years was to a degree.
In addition, as I was growing up I read many of the books about POW experiences that were written after WW II and Korea, and I remember being struck by how desperate how some prisoners (and those in combat zones) became for tobacco. There were accounts of how some literally traded away their food for cigarettes. At the time I was too young and ignorant to really understand the power of addiction, but I do remember thinking, “I wouldn’t want something like that to have so much control over me.”

I’m curious about others’ experiences.
Were you actively discouraged?
Did you decide on your own it was an unwise idea?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I couldn't afford it and it smelled like hell.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Both of my parents smoked and i hated it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another member here, that fits your criteria. Smokin' is da debal.

I can see getting addicted to alcohol, or pain meds, but how do you get addicted to engulfing your lungs with thick smoke, ash, and tar?

Never understood it myself.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm not over 50 yet, but I'm in the neighborhood.

I tried a cigarette when I was 5 (found one of my older brothers smoking with a bud, and he gave me one). I inhaled. Didn't touch the stupid things for 13 years.

Then, when I got to college, I noticed that excessive alcohol consumption game me the urge to smoke. I never inhaled, but we puffed on the Swisher Sweet cigars. After I quit drinking, the urge to smoke went away.

I went to Alaska after I quit drinking, and I used cigars to keep the mosquitos away while I was fishing (again, I never inhaled, but would blow the smoke at the skeeters to keep them away). I quit that soon, as I didn't like how they made me drool.

Today, I abhor smoking (I'm allergic to the smoke). I do know it's a cultural/peer pressure thing. I know a really smart kid in nursing college who smokes, but that is because his father and maternal grandfather both smoke. So, I guess he does it to fit in/look cool? Stupid habit.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

Same here.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I included the over 50 age criterion because anyone that age and older would have been exposed to pro-smoking pressures when young. When I was old enough to start smoking there were even still significant claims that smoking posed no health hazards. Why anyone would start smoking today, however, is unfathomable. I recently learned that the 20-something son of a good friend just started. He is brilliant and a financial success, and I was left flabbergasted by the news.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

This. I hated, despised the smell and being forced to ride in a car in winter with the windows rolled up was pure torture.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm 62 and never touched a cigarette.

I don't really know why. I just was never interested in it.
Both parents smoked two packs a day until well after I was an adult; they both finally did quit.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
good start on the springtime of being septuagenarian, never needed to smoke, plenty of the damned cloud floating around from others;

tried a couple cee-gars in the late 60s & discovered I was actually allergic to the stuff

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up around smokers (one parent and all four grandparents, various aunts & uncles) but I never had any interest. Even my wife smoked for about the first 10 years we were together. I think the sum total of all the cigarettes I smoked in my life is under a half pack.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never saw the appeal of sucking hot toxins into my lungs. Just another filthy worthless habit.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My dad smokes like a freight train, and just listening to him wake up in the mornings was enough to keep me from ever wanting to try it. I'm 50 and never put one in my mouth, and never will.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I was into sports in high school and college and the coaches were always saying, you get caught smoking and you're out and the guys I hung out with didn't smoke so it wasn't too hard to stay away from it. Also, my mother smoked and as a young kid I was always being sent down to the corner grocery store to get a pack of cigarettes for her, that in itself soured me at a pretty young age against smoking.

Today, with the cost of cigarettes and all the medical data against it, I can't understand why people still smoke.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
63 and never did cotton to the taste smell. My Dad smoked until our early childhood and gave it up for both health and cost reasons. The Surgeon General's report of 1964(?) made an impact as well.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad smokes like a chimney and that's what turned me off.

I had a dalliance one night of heavy drinking. I was at a bar with a buddy who was a smoker playing arcade games and drinking heavily. All of a sudden, something came over me and I asked for a cigarette. I smoked it, then another, then another, then another, then another. Then we left and went to a store and I bought and pack and smoke 4 or 5 more, close to 10 in all over the course of a few hours. Got deathly ill and puked everywhere.

I have no idea what came over me. Never had the urge before or after.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Bad for health.

Never understood the supposed pleasure of it.

It stank to high heaven.

It cost money that was considered a luxury, not a necessity (important when on a budget).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Mid-fifties and I've never smoked a cigarette.

My family moved back to our family farm when I was eight after my grandfather, a heavy smoker, was diagnosed with cancer. I got to spend almost four years with him as he fought it, but what I saw as he declined was enough to turn anyone off from smoking.

Besides, it smells awful, too.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom was a lifelong smoker. I saw the hold it had on her and never wanted to be addicted to anything like she was to cigarettes. I also got onto fitness & sports at a young age so smoking never appealed to me.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well I don't really fit the criteria. I am 44 and smoked for about one year when I was 16. I really only smoked when I drank at parties and one day I looked at the cigarettes and wondered what the hell I was doing. I threw them into a field and never smoked again in my life. I am very glad I did not end up being a smoker.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post