SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    9 Days in Oregon what to do with a family of 5?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 Days in Oregon what to do with a family of 5? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Deposit Bay is an interesting harbor. Very small entrance directly off the ocean as access to the harbor.
Walking the beach, any beach, in the evening is very nice also.
Cannot remember when the whales are passing through the can be seen from the deal promentories.
Been many years since I lived in Oregon.
Had razor clams with eggs for breakfast at a small place in Lincoln City.
Just viewing the scenery along the coast is great.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Was thinking:

Portland --> Astoria --> Lincoln City --> Salem --> Bend --> Back to Portland...this may be too optimistic.

Another option, but we'll miss the coast: Portland --> Salem --> Eugene --> Bend --> back to Portland.
You might want to include Tillamook in your list--they have a very famous cheese factory there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Was thinking:

Portland --> Astoria --> Lincoln City --> Salem --> Bend --> Back to Portland...this may be too optimistic.

Another option, but we'll miss the coast: Portland --> Salem --> Eugene --> Bend --> back to Portland.
You might want to include Tillamook in your list--they have a very famous cheese factory there.

flashguy

Also really good ice cream (same factory as the cheese).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Here's another option: Portland, baycity (tillamook), Lincoln City, and then Salem

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll drive past Tillamook on the way to Lincoln City/Newport anyway.

I'd consider Portland > Astoria > (S. on 101) past Cannon Beach, Tillamook, to Lincoln City/Newport > Bend > back to Portland.

This is not too ambitious IMHO for 9 days at all. Consider overnight in Astoria and Newport, definitely not Tillamook. A few nights in Bend is nice, lots to explore around there. If you prefer spirits to beer http://www.bendistillery.com/ They have awesome Gin (among other things). One of them is barrel aged and I sipped it neat like whiskey!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
If you want to get away from the crowds of tourists, go to Pacific City and drive on the beach, or go for a hike on the sand dunes. It's a very quiet and laid back place. It's just south of Lincoln City.

Pacific City is actually 20-30 minutes north of Lincoln City.

Pelican Brewery in Pacific City has both really great beer and very good food.

Oops! Yeah, maybe I got Depoe Bay on my mind which is south. Another neat spot for hiking and beach combing. There are a couple of places to eat there as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
How far can you guys hike with the kids?

Start at Ecola state park, hike north to Seaside, take Uber or the bus back to your car.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10918 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
If you want to get away from the crowds of tourists, go to Pacific City and drive on the beach, or go for a hike on the sand dunes. It's a very quiet and laid back place. It's just south of Lincoln City.

Oops! Yeah, maybe I got Depoe Bay on my mind which is south. Another neat spot for hiking and beach combing. There are a couple of places to eat there as well.

Jim

It's easy to mix up the little towns on the coast. Smile

I think "Tidal Raves Seafood Grill" in Depoe Bay is the best seafood restaurant (and one of the best restaurants in general) between Newport and Tillamook. It also has a great view.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jim

It's easy to mix up the little towns on the coast. Smile

I think "Tidal Raves Seafood Grill" in Depoe Bay is the best seafood restaurant (and one of the best restaurants in general) between Newport and Tillamook. It also has a great view.

Good recommendation on that restaurant. Get the Razor clam plate if you go there Dave. A little bit of heaven.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
How far can you guys hike with the kids?

Start at Ecola state park, hike north to Seaside, take Uber or the bus back to your car.

Not to brag, but my 7 year old girl is a rock star. She's done an 10 mile hike with me, while her brothers were eating her dust Smile

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Skip Salem, not really a place I'd take tourists. It's not really a crime issue, it's a not-whole-lot-here issue. This is coming from a Salem resident Big Grin

Hood River is a cool town, on your way out there, stop at Multnomah Falls.

You can also visit Bonneville Dam.

On the Washington side, hike Beacon Rock.

If you stop in Cascade Locks, go to the East Wind Drive-In & get a soft serve!

In Hood River, get a sandwich at New York Sub Shop: http://www.nycss.com/#hoodriver

Drive up to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Who needs tripadvisor!

God, Family, Country.

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I live in Newport and say the Oregon coast is a must see. I'd forget Salem and Eugene. Book a charter fishing trip or whale watching tour out of Depoe Bay, relatively inexpensive and worth every penny. Visit the aquarium in Newport, crab off the pier, go to the sea lion docks, visit the lighthouses, drink some beers, eat some seafood, walk the beaches, see the tide pools, fly kites on the beach, enjoy the sunsets.

PS,

I'd offer to show you around, but we're moving sometime toward the end of June or first part of July.

http://www.docksidedepoebay.com/fishing-report.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6qHiAwnvXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnap-Bh4Lo

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
There's a cool air museum in McMinnville (they have the Spruce Goose) and there's a nice indoor water park next door (not too far off of Highway 18 between Portland and Lincoln City).

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

https://wingsandwaveswaterpark.com/

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bet your Orange County raised kids would get a kick out of river fishing with a guide while you're there. There should be fall salmon, trout, and summer steelhead fishing when you're there.

A couple Sigforumites post pictures on here of their river fishing adventures and I'm green with envy. Perhaps they'll see this thread and comment.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I visit Portland probably every 8-9 months or so as we have Family over there.

I've taken several people to OHMSI to tour the Sub and EVERY one of them really enjoyed it. It's a real eye opener regarding the Submarine Service.

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is another must see IMHO.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is not an option. The coast is a must.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
How about a visit to the Spruce Goose Airplane in McMinville, the Evergreen Aviation Museum.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Drive up the Columbia River valley. Beautiful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Garibaldi for the Oregon Cost Scenic Railway, and the Tillamook Cheese factory with the world's BEST ice-cream, bar none, except maybe Umpqua.

Unusual stuff is there a'plenty, including the only boat-lift dock in the PNW.

Hood River Scenic Railway is great, with a fine picnic spot at the lumpy end.

Cannon Beach is a great place to visit if you are bit arty-crafty, and the Pig-n-Pancake is a great place to eat....
Inland, as noted, can get hotter than hell - last time we were in The Dalles it was hitting 104F - NOT funny. The Steens Mountains are a great, if out of the way place to visit, as is Fort Rock. The Wallowas and Joseph, up in the top right corner, are wondrous, as is the cable car up from the lake. Hell's Canyon is a short drive away - the deepest river gorge in the entire USA that makes the Grand Canyon look like a roadside ditch - at 8500 feet. Apart from absolutely thousands of other places to see, that's about it. Oregon tourism information is sublime in its scope and generosity in providing stuff for visitors.

We are there every year, and never fail to find something new, make that LOTS of things that are new to us, every time.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post