SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    9 Days in Oregon what to do with a family of 5?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 Days in Oregon what to do with a family of 5? Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Hi all,

We have a family trip planned for the middle of August, 9 days in Oregon. Please share your recommendations for a family of 5, my kids are 10, 8 and 6. Thank you!!!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
What part of the state?

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I just spent a week in Portland and surrounding areas... lots to see in Portland and the Columbia gorge is cool... but I'm an old geezer and so don't have a clue what kids would like.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Where in Oregon will you be? There's all kinds of different stuff to do in all kinds of different places.

I spend a fair amount of time (a minimum of 2-3 weeks a year) on the Oregon coast with my family. We mostly just relax and enjoy being there.

The coast in the summer is nice, because it's never hot. It does get plenty hot away from the coast.

There are great hiking locations all over the state, and a number of great places on the coast to explore tide pools at low tide (full of all kinds of weird sea life that you don't see most places). For tide pools, we've always gone to Boiler Bay. If you are going to be near there and decide you want to do that, let me know - the way to get down to the tide pools is not obvious and I can send you details about where to park and how to get down.

Clam digging and crabbing are popular activities on the coast. I've yet to go clam digging but I've gone crabbing a few times and it's an entertaining way to catch your own dinner (there are places all up and down the coast that rent out crab traps and little boats by the half-day, and will even cook your catch for you when you're done if you're not up for doing it yourself). There are also a variety of different types of fishing.

The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville is amazing and absolutely worth going to. The centerpiece of the museum is the Spruce Goose, Howard Hughes' flying boat that still has the largest wingspan of any airplane that has ever flown. They also have a Titan II missile, an SR-71 Blackbird, and dozens and dozens of other airplanes and helicopters.

If you're in Portland, the OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) is a very cool museum, and one of their exhibits is the USS Blueback, which was the last diesel-electric submarine to be decommissioned by the US Navy. It floats in the river next to the museum. The Oregon Zoo in Portland is also a cool zoo.

There are great breweries and wineries all over the state if that's your thing.

I've always wanted to go to Crater Lake but haven't made it yet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
We land in portland, some I'm thinking of making a circle around there, a couple of locations 2-3 hours away is ok.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What part of the state makes a difference for sure. South central: Crater Lake for sure. Around PDX, the gorge, Mt Hood, the coast. (Down near Florence are the dunes and you can rent ATVs and dune buggys. Did it with my group of 4 and had a blast. Mt Ranier NP is also a reasonable drive. Or, stay in PDX and count the homeless. JK. Sorta. You could probably charter a fishing trip too, if into that. Bend is also a great town with lots of outdoor recreation.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Was thinking:

Portland --> Astoria --> Lincoln City --> Salem --> Bend --> Back to Portland...this may be too optimistic.

Another option, but we'll miss the coast: Portland --> Salem --> Eugene --> Bend --> back to Portland.

God, Family, Country.

posted Hide Post
Take a day trip up north to
http://mountsthelens.com/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Seaside is ok for kids. Also Oaks park, but it's pretty cheezy.

Middle of august might be County fair season. If you're into that sort of thing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newport is a great coastal town to visit and has a nice Aquarium. Within a mile of said Aquarium is the Rogue brewery!

Crater lake is pretty neat.

You could start in the south, hit Crater lake and stay a night in the Lodge, then head over to the coast and just work your way up to Astoria. A night in Newport and the Aquarium, check out Cannon Beach and Seaside, maybe another night in Astoria then the balance of days in Portland area, check out the Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls, do some hiking.

We also have a family of 5 with similar age kids and did an "in-state" vacation driving around OR a few years ago, it was a lot of fun.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do NOT skip the coast

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Boiler bay (tide pools) is very close to Lincoln City - 20-30 minutes south.

Cascade head is a really beautiful hike on a headland (picture a little mountain ridge that sticks out into the ocean) about 10 minutes north. I've seen elk, whales (probably need binoculars for this one, you're not very close to the water), bald eagles, and a variety of other wildlife on that hike, plus the scenery is amazing - unbelievable views down the coast.

Fair warning, Lincoln City itself is touristy. There are a few good restaurants, though.

I've never stayed in Salem, although I've driven through a bunch of times. I get the impression there isn't a lot to do there.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, do not skip the coast, arguably the best part of the state...and I'm not even a "beach" person.

Unless there is something specific, you can skip Salem and Eugene. Bend is great, especially if you like beer.

It's a decent size state, but the distances aren't too bad. Bend is 3.5-4hr drive from Portland, coast is 2-ish hrs from Portland, N to south (WA to CA) is about 6. So, in 9 days you can easily do PDX, the gorge, the coast from Astoria to Newport and Bend.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,
There’s a sternwheel paddle boat excursion you can take on the Columbia River. Kids would love it!

http://portofcascadelocks.org/...eler-columbia-gorge/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tanner,

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My wife and I spend 7-9 days on the Oregon coast every year. We're in our early 70's so how we spend our time and what we do probably won't work well for you and your family. The Aquarium in Newport should be on your list. It's kid friendly and a lot of hands on exhibits. Lincoln City has a great beach where kite flying is a big pastime. If you like seafood, go to the mom and pop type restaurants/cafe's for clam chowder and excellent seafood. We never go to chain places.

If you want to get away from the crowds of tourists, go to Pacific City and drive on the beach, or go for a hike on the sand dunes. It's a very quiet and laid back place. It's just south of Lincoln City.

If you get to Astoria, be sure and go to the Columbia River Maritime Museum. It's a must see and the kids will enjoy it as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crater Lake, seaside, see the redwoods.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures I took of Boiler Bay a while ago as added inducement to go. (You do have to go at a low tide, or there's basically no point, and the lower the low tide, the better - ideally, look for a "minus tide" where the tide level is a negative number.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Newport city or lincoln city? Is salem worth it?

God, Family, Country.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
If you want to get away from the crowds of tourists, go to Pacific City and drive on the beach, or go for a hike on the sand dunes. It's a very quiet and laid back place. It's just south of Lincoln City.

Pacific City is actually 20-30 minutes north of Lincoln City.

Pelican Brewery in Pacific City has both really great beer and very good food.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Newport city or lincoln city? Is salem worth it?

Lincoln city is touristy. Newport is SUPER touristy, but the Oregon Coast Aquarium (in Newport) is very good and there are some other interesting things in the area.