SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Houston Area Members: Where Best To Donate?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston Area Members: Where Best To Donate? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
My wife and I wish to donate to the Houston-area victims of Hurricane Harvey. But where best to donate? I figure y'all that live down that way perhaps know best.

My wife found this: Charity Navigator: Hurricane Harvey: Charities Providing Assistance in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey, and it has "ratings."

The page specifically suggests

quote:

If you're looking for a local charity to support in the wake of Hurricane Harvey please consider Houston Food Bank, Food Bank of Corpus Christi, Houston Humane Society, Houston SPCA, or San Antonio Humane Society. These highly-rated organizations are located in the most-affected areas and are providing support to individuals and animals.

We want to maximize our donation going to the victims, rather than the organizations.

Thanks and God Bless.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Star Of Hope and Goodwill. I can't believe they weren't even mentioned.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I donated through UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee On Relief. They are often one of the first responding agencies to such calamities.

If I want to make other donations, it's usually to the Salvation Army.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operation BBQ Relief, yes it's a serious charity feeding more people per dollar than most others.

www.operationbbqrelief.org

I have a very good friend that has been involved since the beginning. He owns a BBQ restaurant here in DFW and is leaving his business, hauling his mobile trailer to Houston right now to feed displaced residents and first responders.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Any giving I do will be to SIGforum members first, other charities second.

I'm serious. I spent the morning balancing my checkbook and if there is a member in need because of the flooding, let me know.

I haven't got a lot to give, but you're welcome to it.

(First come, first served)

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can personally vouch for Southern Baptist Disaster Relief and Star of Hope (focused on the homeless).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Will discuss with my wife and make a decision.

Personally, I'm kind of leaning toward OBR.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Salvation Army for me. I've been a donor for a very long time and trust them to use the money wisely. Unlike The Red Cross, their administrative costs are low and they rely on volunteers far more than other charity organizations. I'll be sending them a donation every month till things get back to normal in Texas.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Salvation Army for me. I've been a donor for a very long time and trust them to use the money wisely. Unlike The Red Cross, their administrative costs are low and they rely on volunteers far more than other charity organizations. I'll be sending them a donation every month till things get back to normal in Texas.

Jim

Salvation Army for me, too, for the reasons mentioned above, and in another recent thread on charities.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We have a pickleball friend who has been flooded out. We donated directly to her gofundme site and also the Salvation Army.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Operation BBQ Relief, yes it's a serious charity feeding more people per dollar than most others.

I have a very good friend that has been involved since the beginning. He owns a BBQ restaurant here in DFW and is leaving his business, hauling his mobile trailer to Houston right now to feed displaced residents and first responders.

I was impressed with that operation and so was my wife. After looking at all the suggestions, here and elsewhere, she agreed with me: Operation BBQ Relief it was.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks, everybody else, for your suggestions, too!

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
gofundme takes a cut, why not direct deposit into her account?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
We have a pickleball friend who has been flooded out. We donated directly to her gofundme site and also the Salvation Army.

Direct relief is good for those that need it.

The Salvation Army is good about being frugal with costs - I don't know how attuned to disaster relief they are. I don't know - they may be good, or they may not be.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

I was impressed with that operation and so was my wife. After looking at all the suggestions, here and elsewhere, she agreed with me: Operation BBQ Relief it was.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks, everybody else, for your suggestions, too!

ETA...

quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Star of Hope or JJ Watts relief: https://www.youcaring.com/vict...rricaneharvey-915053

We decided we like JJ Watt's effort, too, and the need is great.

posted Hide Post
I've added onto the operationbbq as well as salvation army. I'll look at those other websites as well. thanks

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:

Direct relief is good for those that need it.

The Salvation Army is good about being frugal with costs - I don't know how attuned to disaster relief they are. I don't know - they may be good, or they may not be.

You can earmark your donation to their effort in Texas. I go to their local website because I have an account with them, but I assume that you can do the same on their main site.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post