SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was gifted a Telescope setup (Meade DS-127).
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was gifted a Telescope setup (Meade DS-127). Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
Other than having looked through several over the years that belong to other people or schools and having an appreciation for astronomy and the universe and such, I don't know a thing about owning and operating something like this.

A quick Google shows it's an entry level setup that costs about $500 (it has the motorized base and big tripod and all that, and is apparently computer controlled. Is anyone familiar with these units? Any particularly good online resources for digging deeper?

I'll be researching things online in greater detail later, but any links or tips or information would be great. Taking photos with it is something I'd like to do.

Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taking photos with it is something I'd like to do.

Astrophotography is a deep dark hole lined with lots of time and $$$$. Wink

I haven't delved into that yet and don't have a Meade (mine is an Orion of similar size and setup).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have only small knowledge about telescopes.

But you should have some fun viewing with that telescope. The mirror isn't very big, which is a limiting factor.

I don't know if the mount is capable of astrophotograpy, but my guess would be that it isn't. It may be usuable for short exposures of bright subjects - namely the moon, or the sun (with the appropriate filters). It's size will also limit its ability to be good for photography.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you check if there is a local astronomy club, that'd be ideal.

Good luck and enjoy.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Perhaps get in touch with nhtagmember?

If I remember correctly he just set up and observatory in his backyard. He might be able to give you some tips.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The accessory catalog shows a camera mount that accepts any standard 35mm SLR with removable lenses for about $50 retail, so that's cool.

Apparently it's a Newtonian type, 127mm/5", f8, 1020mm focal length, etc. Most reviews seem pretty meh/average, but whatever, it was free, so I suspect it'll work well enough to be fun.

It came with:

a Dual-Motor Electronic Control box
the Autostar Computer Control setup with its own remote
a non computer controlled Remote for the Motor box
a 9mm Modified Achromatic eyepiece
a 25mm Modified Achromatic eyepiece
a 40mm Super Plossl eyepiece
a 2x Telenegative amplifier/magnifier (Barlow Lens?)
a DVD with the Object Database/control software
and the big Tripod

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who is into taking pics through his telescope. Some of them are majestically amazing almost Hubble-like pics of stars and nebulae etc. I don't know how much he has invested in it but he is basically dead broke between buying guns and telescope /camera gear. He goes on camping trips way way out to get pics with as little light pollution as possible.

Posts: 4761 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I would pick up a beginner astronomy book. I have two dobs, the one a little 4.5" that I love to take out and show people. A couple weeks ago I showed a few people Jupiter and moons and our moon after work, they loved it even though we have a lot of light pollution from the parking lot.

If you have dark skies, learning the constellations and star hopping to find objects has it's rewards.
I wouldn't be in too big of a rush to use the computer and camera mount.

Night Watch and Turn Left at Orion are two good beginner books.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post