SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Top Fuel Dragster--First Time Reaction: ETA, Horsepower Calculation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Fuel Dragster--First Time Reaction: ETA, Horsepower Calculation Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
These are pretty amusing. A couple of people who experience Top Fuel drag racing for the first time. It's a big step up to nitro-burning, 11K HP, 300+ MPH in 330 yards, dragsters.

I believe this first video is in Sydney, AUS.

By the finals after dark, she's a seasoned pro--big grin on her face

Edited to add this video from the NHRA's website on calculation of this era's 11,000+ HP

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Those were great!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Those were great!

It's a hell of a thing to experience. Sight, smell, hearing, physical movement of your body (muzzleblast best explanation), all senses are impacted brutally.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is good stuff. I've never been. I would do the same thing

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Always liked this bit of info.

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster’s supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow… The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G’s. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G’s.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher, at Pomona,CA). The top speed record is 336.15 mph as measured over the last 66′ of the run (05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at Hebron, OH).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter ‘twin-turbo’ powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the ‘Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The ‘tree’ goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

…… and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It’s not your ears.
It’s the shocking impact to your core.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
15 or so years ago I took the Jr DFs to the night of fire here in Ut. It is an end of season event featuring jet and nitro methane cars as well as some novelty drag vehicles. It is a remarkable spectacle. We had been going for years, but this was the youngest DF's first time at the drags. He was 6. The cars were thunderous so each of us had hearing protection.

As is typical for him, he had to pee right before the final run of jet cars. REALLY?! GEEZELOUISE, SON! So as the cars were flaming and puffing great clouds of smoke and staging to the tree, I fast-walked the boys to the finish line where the restroom was so I could at least watch the finish while he used the terlet. As I took him into the cinderblock and concrete building, I told him to leave his hearing pro on his head while he did his doody.

He was safe in the metal stall, so I trotted out to watch the race. The cars were huffing and puffing and blowing the house down with magnificent walls of flame. The other boys in their excitement were nearly extruding themselves through the chain link fence that separated us from the track with a 20ft no man's land. I skidded up to them and had enough time to feel briefly relieved I hadn't missed it before BOOM!, they were off!!!

In an instant they reached and passed us with such force and noise, we staggered back and giggled with delight. I looked back just in time to see my youngest emerge from the potty building eyes wide and shaking in shock. He had removed his hearing pro and experienced what we heard and felt in the echo chamber of the masonry and steel enclosure. lol

I invited him to go with me to the drags this summer since Rocky Mountain Raceways will be closing forever after this season. He politely declined. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Even though I'm not a "car guy" I could have watched an hour long much more in depth special on how they work.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Took my brother in law and his 12 year son/my nephew to the Mopar nationals last summer at Bandimeer. I watched them instead of the race. They had the same look and expressions. The punches in your chest from the exhaust are amazing.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Very cool. Even though I'm not a "car guy" I could have watched an hour long much more in depth special on how they work.

Good stuff. Among the statements that caught my ear: “The diameter of the fuel line is 2 1/2”! The fuel pump capacity is 100 gallons/minute!

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a A-10's rotary cannon.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Always liked this bit of info.

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION
Those are very interesting!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before... The shortened version of one of my favorite drag racing videos:

https://youtu.be/uB934ndMjII

The long version:
https://youtu.be/S7m3xyW5hbE

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

Of all those stats this one makes no sense on its face. Not sure what WOT which but I assume ~8000K. 4 seconds would be 533 revs, plus burnout at less. Pretty remarkable.

This thread got me watching and recording NHRA again this weekend!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ll never forget the first time I saw a top fuel dragster at the strip. The sound and feeling is like nothing else out there. You feel the concussive force of the engine shaking the stands as it screams by. The way you feel the energy and sound of those dragsters is something you just cannot understand until you experience it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Watch a slow motion of a finish in Top Fuel Dragster, one that shows the entire car. You'll see that the rear tires aren't even close to round when the car is under power.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

Very, very interesting. Great video!

Hard to imagine spark plugs getting consumed and becoming superfluous in a few seconds, and pistons being one-use only. Transmission parts welding themselves together.....wildly different design concepts.

I bet rebuilding the engine between each run must be hot work.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Hard to imagine spark plugs getting consumed and becoming superfluous in a few seconds, and pistons being one-use only. Transmission parts welding themselves together.....wildly different design concepts.

I bet rebuilding the engine between each run must be hot work.

I bet that stuff wasn't by design, just what started happening as the HP limits kept being pushed. Now, the design takes it into account. Get her 1000' down track before she 'splodes!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
This thread got me watching and recording NHRA again this weekend!

That’s actually true for me too. I haven’t been to a drag racing event live in a long time. I suppose one of these days I need to partner up with someone and go down to Bandimere for another try. It’s a brutally long day though

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Exploding engines, although spectacular, have become a major problem in the NHRA. Not only does it litter the track with parts and fluids, they've had spectators injured. Not only that, if you're driving a top fuel funny car, an explosion in front of you is a bit of a distraction while driving somewhere between 150-300 mph.

This season sensors are installed in the engines, if they detect a pressure spike in the pan and valve train it shuts the fuel off to prevent an explosion and the car coasts to a stop under control.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post