SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Having Difficulty Shaking This One Today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having Difficulty Shaking This One Today. Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
I was with the family at a music festival this weekend, but got up before dawn to make the 2 hour drive home for an 8 AM tee time. I had been driving about 45 minutes, it's still early, so very little traffic on I-64, when a trooper about 1/4 mile ahead appears out of the treed median lights flashing, and merges into the left lane. I figure he caught somebody speeding, but he passes the only likely candidate, and disappears over the crest of the next hill.

As I reach the top of the hill, what little traffic there is on the highway comes to a stop. The trooper is up there, it's obviously an accident, but there are about a dozen or so cars ahead of me, so we all wait while responders make their way past on the shoulder. Traffic stopped on the interstate is not a good omen, we wait for about 10 minutes and folks start to get out of their vehicles and mill around a bit. One lady says she called the State Police, and they told her to expect to be here for hours. But, surprisingly, after about 40 minutes we start moving, and are routed to the right shoulder single file. There really not very many of us. It's apparent traffic behind has been re-routed.

It's bad. I deliberately refuse to be a rubber necker in situations like this, but I am creeping by and the first responders are all standing around quietly waiting. There's a blue tarp over part of the area where two vehicles have come together. I slip by quietly, thinking about this for the rest of my drive.

Later news reports indicate 32 year old Winston Smith II was reported driving recklessly in a green Isuzu pickup on I-64 westbound when police apparently began pursuit. In an attempt to evade police, Smith took a left onto an emergency pass through in the heavily treed median, popped out on the other side and took a right onto the east bound lane of I-64, headed the wrong way.

His truck slammed head on into a Hyundai sedan, killing the driver, 30 year old Bethany Franklin a Bedford County Firefighter and paramedic. The impact collected another vehicle, an F-150, but the driver of the F-150 sustained only minor injuries.

As you might have guessed, news reports are that Smith had been drinking. I am heartbroken for the family of Bethany Franklin, and furious at Smith for his actions that caused her needless death.

It is by the grace of God, I suppose, it wasn't me. Had I left 4 or 5 minutes earlier or not stopped for a biscuit, it certainly could have been. I'm not sure how you guys on the forum deal with this regularly. I think this will be with me for a while.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It's terrible when I think about the friends I have lost to wrong way drivers, all innocent victims going about their lives the the ordinary way.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Frown

I suppose the driver was not injured?

A terrible tragedy and so senseless. I pray for her family.

I am sorry you had to be there and see it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The suspect also died at the scene, according to news reports.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The driver of the pickup truck, Winston J. Smith II, 32, of Staunton, died at the scene. He was wearing a seatbelt.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn drunk drivers usually survive, but the innocents are taken.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the papers are filled with these stories of irresponsibility every day.

Hug your wife, your kids, your dog and thank God for another day.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I don't know why we as a society put up with these shit head drunk drivers. They need to be sentenced to YEARS behind bars not a weekend and a fine.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with the fire fighters family, members of her department, and those on the scene.

This is yet another example of reckless stupidity resulting in the death of a good person

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
16 years ago now a friend and his wife were killed in a head on collision by a drunk driver.

For extra bonus awfulness - they were on vacation.

Yeah it bugs you, and it stays with you.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
In no way am I condoning impaired driving.

I figure being clipped by a drunk is about the same as lightning, tornado, house fires, an infectious disease, or cancer. I do what I can to reduce risks but in the end you can't protect yourself from everything.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I don't know why we as a society put up with these shit head drunk drivers. They need to be sentenced to YEARS behind bars not a weekend and a fine.

Why are you so kind?

I think drunk driving equates to attempted murder, and in cases where a drunk driving accident results in a death it equates to actual murder. Therefore drunk driving should get the same penalties as attempted murder and murder, as applicable.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
I think drunk driving equates to attempted murder, and in cases where a drunk driving accident results in a death it equates to actual murder. Therefore drunk driving should get the same penalties as attempted murder and murder, as applicable.

I agree. First Degree, premeditated Murder.

As to Reflex/Deflex's opinion, please consider that the other causes of death you compare it to are acts of nature, where drunk driving is a deliberate act of a human being against another human being. Just not the same.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I missed being involved in this by about 3 minutes last week. The JeffCo Sheriff deputy successfully did a PIT to her. He flipped her car in the median. Nice job deputy!

EFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. -- A woman was arrested Monday after trying to intentionally run into other vehicles on Highway 285, then running from a deputy, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said.

The incident happened about noon between Wagon Trail Road and South Hillview Road. Several drivers had to avoid colliding with the driver, 46-year-old Jennifer Brooks, as she drove a black Jeep Cherokee.

After the sheriff's office received a report of a driver swerving all over the lanes of northbound traffic near Wagon Trail, a deputy began following the vehicle at South Turkey Creek Road.

Brooks then made a U-turn and began traveling southbound. After she didn't stop near Meyers Ranch, Brooks started going northbound in the passing lane of southbound Highway 285, the sheriff's office said.

The deputy saw Brooks make several attempts to intentionally direct the Jeep into oncoming traffic. The deputy then performed a successful PIT maneuver, stopping the vehicle.

Brooks then got out of the vehicle and ran away, but she was later detained by the deputy, the sheriff's office said.

Brooks was booked on felony charges of first-degree assault, four counts of second-degree assault, vehicular eluding, felony menacing and two counts of attempted first-degree assault.

Misdemeanor and traffic violations are pending, including reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and reckless driving, the sheriff's office said.

Any driver who was involved in the incident by having to take measures to avoid colliding with the Jeep or other vehicles and has not spoken with investigators is asked to call the sheriff's office at 303-271-5612.

http://kdvr.com/2017/07/12/wom...running-from-deputy/

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:I think drunk driving equates to attempted murder, and in cases where a drunk driving accident results in a death it equates to actual murder. Therefore drunk driving should get the same penalties as attempted murder and murder, as applicable.

It is my understanding that texting is now just about as bad as DUI for traffic accidents/deaths. That is even less defensible.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post