SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking UV Filter Advice From SigForum Photographers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking UV Filter Advice From SigForum Photographers Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
I recently purchased a Nikkor 18-140mm lens to replace the faulty 18-55mm kit lens which came with my Nikon D5000. The new lens requires a larger diameter filter (67mm).

There are so many options and price points ($7.00-$35.00). What’s the best bang for the buck?

I also need a lens hood, so a recommendation for this will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have Hoya HD3 filters on all of my lenses. They're not cheap, but 1) they're optically superior to other filters I've used, and 2) they're cheaper than replacing the lens.

Can't help you with the hood - I rarely use one.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

What he said. I know most people only use UV filters to protect the lens but I've never understood someone that spent big money on the best lens they could buy and stick a $10 filter on it...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Filters cost chump change compared to the camera and lens. Buy a good one and don't look back.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a good selection here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...s=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

If you think you will ever need to add additional filters, (polarizer) make sure to have threads
in front of ring.

If swapping filter between different lenses, you may consider brass rings.

I've always liked the German Schott glass.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll buy a decent Hoya or B+W.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use B+W XS-Pro UV-Haze filters on all of my Nikon glass.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a B+W UV filter I keep on my 70-200. I've been very pleased with this filter. It's a bit more expensive than the upper part of your range though.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I don’t use a UV filter for lens protection. When taking photos I’m not in positions where the front element is at risk of getting scratched. Otherwise the lens cap is on.

On one hand it’s relatively cheap insurance. OTH, I don’t want to put a $30 piece of glass in front of my $1500 (or more) lens.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
L1BC is on all my Nikkors. I have a Nikkor 180 f2.8 I purchased in 1981. I put the skylight filter on it the moment it came out of the box and that filter has never been off the lens.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Hoya and B&W for me as well.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Hoya filters. Also your Nikkor lens should come with the lens hood. All of my Nikkors did.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use both Hoya and B+W multi coated uv filters for front lens protection. The B+W seem better built, but I don't think mere mortals can detect the difference in image quality between the two.

I prefer to keep my lens cap and lens hood off when I'm walking about and I find myself wiping the filter off several times a day of accumulated dust and fingerprints. I'd rather be able to wipe off the front filter in a moment periodically throughout the day, than to bust out the lens cleaning fluid and q-tips to carefully polish the front lens glass.

I'm the end, I find that a protective filter saves wear and tear on my lenses and protects my investments until I'm ready to sell and trade up on my glass. I do not find a significant affect on image quality besides additional flare in certain shooting conditions, but usually nothing a handful of shade can't fix.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always liked the German Schott glass.

I've always found that prolonged use of the Schott glass makes everything look fuzzy to me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would never add a filter unless its needed.
The filter will never be as optically clean/clear as the camera lens.

With a filter on front of the camera lens you have a much greater chance of introducing light flair across the filter face.
I always attached CC filters behind the camera lens or if in front behind a sunshade.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A competent photographer knows how to control lens flare in an SLR.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even when direct scratches to the front element are unlikely, I often find myself in wet, dusty, or other harsh environments. I'd much rather frequently clean a $100 filter than frequently need to clean the front element of my expensive lens and risk scratching or damaging the coating on that.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Marumi filters are also worth a look.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post