SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Four killed in shooting at car wash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four killed in shooting at car wash Login/Join 
posted
A man opened fire and killed four people at a car wash early Sunday morning in Pennsylvania, while another woman suffered only minor injuries after she hid in the back seat of a truck during the shooting, state police said.

Police said suspected shooter Tim Smith was on life support at a hospital after the shooting at Ed's Car Wash around 3 a.m. in the Melcroft community of Saltlick Township, about 55 miles (89 kilometers) southeast of Pittsburgh.

They said he killed 27-year-old William Porterfield, 25-year-old Chelsie Cline, 23-year-old Courtney Snyder and 21-year-old Seth Cline.

Police earlier said that a fifth person was pronounced dead at a hospital, but they announced at a late afternoon news conference that the shooter remained on life support.

The survivor was not shot and suffered only minor injuries, they said.

Police said they were not able to speak with Smith at the hospital and they did not say whether Smith knew the victims. Family members of the victims told WPXI-TV that the shooting was the result of a domestic dispute. They claim the shooter was a man who used to date one of the victims.

Cayleigh Myers said she was friends with Seth Cline and described the construction worker as "very outgoing, very funny and very smart."

"You always had fun when you were around him," Myers said. "He would give his shirt off his back for you, anything, it didn't matter what it was, what time it was, if you need him, you could call him. He was everything."

Ed Bukovac, who owns the car wash, told the Tribune-Review that a neighbor called him around 4 a.m. Sunday and said something was wrong at his business. Bukovac said police were on the scene by the time he arrived and that he had few other details about what happened.

A man who lives nearby told the newspaper that he heard about 30 gunshots over a span of several minutes.

State Trooper Robert Broadwater said two of the victims were found inside a pickup truck and two others were found outside in the car wash's parking lot.

Three vehicles were towed from the location. Two were pickup trucks - including the one that two of the victims were found in - and the other was a sedan.

___

It is rather odd to wash ones car at 3 in the morning. The picture looks like it has been raining as well. Maybe people hang out at car washes in Pennsylvania. Here is the link:

http://www.wlox.com/story/3736...wash-on-life-support

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too far from where I live. My initial thoughts were drugs. Sounds like they are now thinking a domestic type deal. Fayette county is pretty rural and once the bars let out at 2 ain’t much to do. Will be interested to learn more details as the investigation proceeds.

Seems like the scumbag isn’t expected to live.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Car wash at 3am?

Not normal activities.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Car wash at 3am?

Not normal activities.

I've washed my Jeep at that hour. If you've ever had to wait on line at the car wash on a sunny winter day in Utah, you might understand why. Though I should add that I was on my way home from picking up my wife at work when she finished at 0200.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
I owned/operated a car wash for 14 years. Nothing happening there will ever surprise me again.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car wash at 3am?

Not normal activities.

A self-service car wash, probably. Most I know are open 24-hours. And since it was a Saturday night, they were probably out having fun all night before the shooting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car wash at 3am?

Not normal activities.

All four rules of stupid were broken; Stupid people, doing Stupid things, in Stupid places, at Stupid times.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know it was probably a 24 hour self serve car wash.

But my gut tells me they weren't there washing the car.

Not saying you can't wash a car then, but unless you are coming off the late shift, it's not common behavior.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that old saying, the only things open after midnite are hospitals and zippers .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I hate idiot ex boyfriends that are so broke up about the split, that this is their only option. Grade A idiots.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Guessing he shot himself at the end?

As far as car washes after midnight...common for nefarious activity. No surprise there.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS post up a guard with a rifle and side arm plus two way communications when you wash your car at a public car wash after midnight.
I thought everyone knew that! Roll Eyes

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this was in the middle of nowhere. Around these parts these types of car washes tend to be at the outer edges, off the main drag, of middle of nowhere communities.

Popular place for the younger crowds to hang out on weekends.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I hate idiot ex boyfriends that are so broke up about the split, that this is their only option. Grade A idiots.

I lost a dear, close friend to an idiot ex-boyfriend. The lowlife is now serving a 70 year sentence in a Jersey prison. A much too kind punishment. The devastation this coward wreaked upon her family and friends will last a generation at least.

Anyway, I don't want to go down this road. Hate doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards losers like this.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car wash at 3am?

Not normal activities.

That’s the one takeaway from Breaking Bad. Car washes are hotbeds of nefarious goings on.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Whenever I was in a new relationship I always asked about ex boyfriends/husbands and what they were up to.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Latest report says he shot himself.
He had an AR, a handgun and a .308?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Gives me a flash back from more than 30 years ago. On a police ride along with the shift supervisor in the middle of the night, the radio broke with "Officer needs assistance" (at the Blue whale - a car wash in Raleigh). Surface streets near 100 mph until the "slow it down" came. That place was notorious.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Sounds like this was in the middle of nowhere. Around these parts these types of car washes tend to be at the outer edges, off the main drag, of middle of nowhere communities.

Popular place for the younger crowds to hang out on weekends.

Saltlick Township? Smile

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Only upside to this tragic event. At least it should have been easy to clean up the aftermath.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post