SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiking in the Northeast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking in the Northeast Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
It will be our first time up there (New Hampshire and Maine specifically) to hike late this summer. Where would one search to determine what sort of knife and firearm requirements/restrictions exist in the locations we intend to hike?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
It will be our first time up there (New Hampshire and Maine specifically) to hike late this summer. Where would one search to determine what sort of knife and firearm requirements/restrictions exist in the locations we intend to hike?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf

New Hampshire last year did away with a permit for concealed carry in their state. As long as you are not prohibited from carrying a fire arm (felon) any person can conceal carry in NH. I just received a non-resident permit that will allow me to carry in states that my Utah permit would not allow.
Hiking is great in NH, the White Mountains have some of the best trails in the Northeast. A lot of 4,000 feet hikes.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Be sure to employ deterent measures for ticks. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), have reported contracted Powassan virus, which differs from Lyme disease as it can be transferred from tick to human in a matter of minutes in Maine.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You take a big hand gun, a big knife, big hiking boots and big altitude so the bears, mooses and all prehistoric creatures along the trail know, that's bigdeal, from SIGforum. We'll just let him be... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
There is constitutional carry in all 3 northern New England states now. You can carry concealed on the AT all the way from the MA-VT border to Mt. Katahdin.

Ditto the warning about ticks. Worst I've ever seen.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Be sure to employ deterent measures for ticks.

Yup. Bad ticks are a far greater threat threat than bad guys. I've been hiking in NH since childhood. Never felt the need for a gun but would never ever consider leaving the house without DEET.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife was hiking there the last week of May and said our dog was covered with ticks.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post