SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Over the years, we’ve all seen them- tools, appliances, utensils, pots and pans, and other time savers that are supposed to do something so well you’ll fall to your knees in amazement. Ok, perhaps a bit over the top.

Anything from either category? Things that either pleasantly surprised or made you want to throw it through a window.

Recently I discovered this little gem at Goodwill for $4. Videos were promising, so I gave it a shot. It basically lets you make an easy to prepare breakfast without a lot of cleanup. I usually abhor anything involving Teflon but this time it worked out.

Quickly, neatly makes this with one English muffin, one egg, a slice of cheese and ham.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We had a Presto “Hot Dogger” that one of my friends picked up at a thrift store. It cooked hot dogs by electrocution. Not nearly as good as burning them on a grill, or even boiling them. And it was a mess to clean.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

I’ve heard rubber strap oil filter wrenches work, but have never tried one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I purchased a cover for microwaving items and the vendor included two bonus items: a grip for hot pots and pans, and a bag to microwave bake potatoes in four minutes. I use the bag a lot!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Off-...%2Caps%2C242&sr=8-15

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We had a Presto “Hot Dogger” that one of my friends picked up at a thrift store. It cooked hot dogs by electrocution. Not nearly as good as burning them on a grill, or even boiling them. And it was a mess to clean.

Cleanup is where all these kitchen gadgets fall down for me. I avoid nonstick cook wear and buy stainless steel pots and pans so I can just run them through the dishwasher, or scrub them down with Bar Keepers Friend when they start looking a little used.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Cleanup is where all these kitchen gadgets fall down for me. I avoid nonstick cook wear and buy stainless steel pots and pans so I can just run them through the dishwasher, or scrub them down with Bar Keepers Friend when they start looking a little used.

The beauty of this unit is that you clean up with water alone. No scrubbing beyond a wipe down with a damp paper towel. The pre-cook heat up will kill any bacteria as all the cooking surfaces get blistering hot.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I purchased a cover for microwaving items and the vendor included two bonus items: a grip for hot pots and pans, and a bag to microwave bake potatoes in four minutes. I use the bag a lot!

Just an FYI, one of these ignited after use and burned down Tom Gresham’s (Guntalk podcast host) house in 2017.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Instant Pot pressure cooker. I love that darn thing.

Matfer 11 7/8" carbon steel pan. It seasoned like a dream and cooks quite a bit like my cast iron, but not nearly as heavy.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Quickly, neatly makes this with one English muffin, one egg, a slice of cheese and ham.

I was really excited about this sandwich maker when I first saw them - never got it to work. The egg was always mostly raw and the english muffin burned regardless of how we did it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Got as a gift one of those Pampered Chef or similar cheaply-ish mandolins a few years ago. For mass production of evenly sliced veg or fries, it works remarkably well and is adjustable, dishwasher safe.

Don't use it regularly but when we do it's pretty cool.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electric Tea Kettle: Gets used several times a day and heats the water fast and to the perfect temperature.

Immersion Blender: My wife had wanted one for a while, so I picked one up on whim. She used the heck out of it for about a week. I don't think she's touched it in over a year.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and daughter bought a Magic Bullet juicer and damn if that thing doesn't work great. Use it all the time. I has to be at least 3 years old and will grind up 2x4's! Well, maybe not 2x4's.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Salad Spinner.

Cut up as much lettuce as I need. Wash it in the spinner and then spin it dry. Works well.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My mother gave us a basket air fryer as a gift. She bought it from Qvc.
We use it at least two to three times a week. It is only my wife and I so it is convenient not having to heat up the oven all the time.
WE make all kinds of things, chicken legs,chicken breast,hamburgers,meatloaf and it makes great roasted potatoes.
So far we are very happy with it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Electric Tea Kettle: Gets used several times a day and heats the water fast and to the perfect temperature.

Immersion Blender: My wife had wanted one for a while, so I picked one up on whim. She used the heck out of it for about a week. I don't think she's touched it in over a year.

In a similar vein, one of our most-used kitchen items is a Zojirushi water boiler/warmer. It kind of looks like one of those big coffee dispensers with a spout at the top, but has an electric heater inside. Hot water on tap, instantly, any time you want it.

It holds about a gallon of water and will hold it at temperature (selectable from several temperatures appropriate for coffee or different types of tea) for weeks without much loss to evaporation and using very little electricity. We recently upgraded to one with a vacuum-insulated reservoir, and the manual says it consumes ~20W to maintain a 208F temperature and ~16W to maintain a 195F temperature. Obviously it uses a lot more to bring cold tap water up to temp, it's rated for a max draw of 840W.

Also from Zojirushi, if you eat rice at all frequently, a rice cooker. Dump rice and water in, push a button, perfect rice every time. No watching, no stirring, no having to catch it exactly when it's done. Once the rice is ready, it will keep it warm and ready to serve with no loss of flavor or texture for hours. As a bonus, it makes great non-instant oatmeal just as easily. Every family in Japan has a rice cooker for a reason.

I have an immersion blender. I don't use it all that often, but it works great, and when I do use it, it saves a lot of time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Our best kitchen gadgets include this Benriner unit.

Use it at least once a week, bought over 25 years ago. Another item we love is a brass Turkish coffee grinder we use as a pepper grinder. Bought it in the 80s, and we still use it daily.

The most useless contraption was an apple peeler. Threw it away after one spin.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Foreman is my friend! I make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, mainly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was really excited about this sandwich maker when I first saw them - never got it to work. The egg was always mostly raw and the english muffin burned regardless of how we did it.

I must have lucked out on the calibration on this one. Other than letting it go a minute past the green light, it completely cooks the the egg to perfection and the muffin is crisp on the outside only.