SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

I’ve heard rubber strap oil filter wrenches work, but have never tried one.

They work very well. The set of two (large and small) I bought about 10 years ago were advertised as jar openers, but they work well for oil filters and even the metal cap that comes on gas bottles from the welder's supply place. I keep the smaller one in the kitchen (it will do most jars), and the larger in the garage. They are all over Amazon.

Just make sure there's zero oil at all on the oil filter or the rubber strap wrenches will slip like crazy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
They work very well. The set of two (large and small) I bought about 10 years ago were advertised as jar openers, but they work well for oil filters and even the metal cap that comes on gas bottles from the welder's supply place. I keep the smaller one in the kitchen (it will do most jars), and the larger in the garage. They are all over Amazon.

See link I provided page back. Excellent product and no need to have an extra gadget in the drawer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

Someone already said this, but a strap wrench. We use them at work for the containers of essential oils. Bug caps that are screwed on tighter than imaginable. We use a strap wrench and they come off easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsm...70671429&s=hi&sr=1-4

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Picked up one of these strawberry hullers back in 2014. Regularly use it as I prefer it to either slicing off the tops or carving the stems out. Big Grin

And the Fushionbrand silicon poach pods acquired back in 2010. Works like a champ! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

This doohickey

Got it at some chef party Mrs Mike hosted ten years ago...it’s moved TWICE. First thing I did when we said we were moving to Texas, I took it down from under a cabinet and put it in my luggage.

Got one for my bro who has arthritis since he was 7, he loves it. You grab the bottom of the can or jar, shove it in there and twist, easy peasy.

ETA: Mrs Mike just said it’s from pampered chef. It says it can open jars from 3 1/2” or smaller...will this help VTail? If so INSTANT KARMA I will have one sent to you.

Send me an email if you can use it, my email is in my profile, please put sigforum in the subject line
You have mail, and THANK YOU!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
George Foreman is my friend! I make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, mainly.

You mean RICH friend. It's nice to see a good guy do well.. (Snip/paste article)

Although Foreman has never confirmed exactly how much he has earned from the endorsement, Salton, Inc. paid him $138 million in 1999 in order to buy out the right to use his name. Previous to that he was being paid about 40 percent of the profits on each grill sold, earning him $4.5 million a month in payouts at its peak, so it is estimated he has made a total of over $200 million from the endorsement, a sum that is substantially more than he earned as a boxer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Another item you see frequently at thrift stores. Good for George- one of the boxing greats that didn’t need to walk around trying to project an attitude of badassery.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have mail, and THANK YOU!

Just got it ordered for you, it comes with little screws that are supposed to be used to mount it under a cabinet( which is where we have ours). They look like they are too short but they are made to not go thru a standard cabinet bottom, no extra stuff is needed. The nice thing is grabbing the jar is much easier than grabbing the lid. If I remember correctly it didn’t come with directions, but that was a decade ago, they may have fixed it by now.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
One thing I use way more than I thought I would is my mandoline.
I have a V blade version, and to me it seems to work better than the straight blade ones. It also has interchangeable blades, so it's replaced my box grater and several other tools too.

Another "gizmo" I use with it is a Kevlar glove to keep my hand intact. So much easier than using the cumbersome handguard that comes with the device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CT63964

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have one, and use it for that purpose. Works great.

quote:
quote:

I’ve heard rubber strap oil filter wrenches work, but have never tried one.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Remember the Robo-Stir. That little gizmo would stir your food unattended. JUNK. Within 2 weeks it quit. Plus it would tip over a lot.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
quote:

Quickly, neatly makes this with one English muffin, one egg, a slice of cheese and ham.

I was really excited about this sandwich maker when I first saw them - never got it to work. The egg was always mostly raw and the english muffin burned regardless of how we did it.

I've got zero experience with this appliance. Maybe it's great. However we make English muffin egg dealies once or twice a month. We use the tried and true method of putting the muffin in the toaster and using the circle forms for the eggs which can be topped with cheese and or bacon or ham... whatever you like. It's simple enough and the end product is delicious. There's no appliance to clean and store, just the everyday toaster to cover and a pan to wash. I guess I'm missing something.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
One of THE greatest kitchen implements ever invented:

The Spiralizer.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The Spiralizer.

So tempting to just click add-to-cart then place order. I'm trying to stop impulse buying on Amazon so I'm going to think about it for 48 hours then impulse buy itBig Grin

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

The Spiralizer.

So tempting to just click add-to-cart then place order. I'm trying to stop impulse buying on Amazon so I'm going to think about it for 48 hours then impulse buy itBig Grin

We have this - BUY EET!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

The Spiralizer.

We have this - BUY EET!

Indeed!

When you've got about 60# of apples to get through in a day, you'll thank me.

Apparently this little invention has been around for awhile whilst I spent hours and hours with a paring knife. No more!

It peels, it slices, it cores...it damn near eats them for you. Big Grin

It even makes julienne fries (props to the Bassomatic). Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
quote:

Quickly, neatly makes this with one English muffin, one egg, a slice of cheese and ham.

I was really excited about this sandwich maker when I first saw them - never got it to work. The egg was always mostly raw and the english muffin burned regardless of how we did it.

Our double breakfast sandwich maker is GREAT! (Hamilton Beach)
I like a 4-4.5 min sandwich, the wife does 5-5.5 minutes. (more crispy english muffin)
Cleans up with a paper towel.
Our keto has cut into the english muffin eating but for a change of pace breakfast, it’s really good.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These work passably for making boiled eggs.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
If you like soft boiled eggs, an egg topper that makes smooth cuts is very nice to have. I have two. My first one was this spring operated Rösle:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0045YMQ36/r..._api_i_vPkODbRE225E8

My second was this gravity operated “Egg Clack”:

www.amazon.com/dp/B000VOQ356/r..._api_i_mRkODb43TT7PN

There’s a learning curve for both, but it’s gentler for the Clack. And if the first egg proves to have a shell that’s tougher or more fragile than average, it’s easier to compensate for that with the Clack.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Apple corer/slicer. Steel blades radiating out from center hole. Cores and slices apple into 6 slices in a sec. Love it.

Also have this silicone rubber kinda tube. 1" or so in diameter. Made for peeling garlic. Put the clove inside, grasp with 2 hands, and roll your hands together and it removes the peel, which sticks to the inside of the tube by static or something.

Love both, got them at Sur la Table, I think.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post