SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

Under cabinet jar opener always there when you need it and out of sight as well as one less thing in the drawer. Works great, mine is 20+ years old.

There is a lightning deal coming up on amazon prime for this very item.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking for something else and come across this kitchen tool.

Finger guards.
https://www.amazon.com/Daddy-S...d=1570861259&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/MAD-SHA...d=1570861259&sr=8-34

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
One of THE greatest kitchen implements ever invented:

The Spiralizer.

So tempting to just click add-to-cart then place order. I'm trying to stop impulse buying on Amazon so I'm going to think about it for 48 hours then impulse buy itBig Grin

We have this - BUY EET!

Indeed!

When you've got about 60# of apples to get through in a day, you'll thank me.

Apparently this little invention has been around for awhile whilst I spent hours and hours with a paring knife. No more!

It peels, it slices, it cores...it damn near eats them for you. Big Grin

It even makes julienne fries (props to the Bassomatic). Wink

Works great for applesBig Grin sucks for Russet (large) potatoesFrown About 3-3/4" is about the max length you can peel and spiral. Maybe I'll give it a try with a smaller type of potato this week.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot, Bald1!! Just got this on my doorstep yesterday. Razz Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown reviews Amazon's dumbest kitchen gadgets came up while I was looking at a different video. He reviews one of the gadgets talked about in this thread. The review of the Rollie really cracked me up Big Grin .

I'll also admit, I have a pair of bear claws for shredding meat...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bear claws are da bomb for shredding boston butts

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I happened to notice this cheese lyre in one of my kitchen drawers today:

www.amazon.com/dp/B076T6J72X/r..._api_i_LdIQDb2WMTRV1

It’s an excellent utensil for slicing soft to medium cheese. Very neat cuts, so easy to clean, and takes almost no drawer space.

The wire is likely to break if you try to slice hard cheese. I broke one on cold aged cheddar. But have several spare wires, and I probably won’t break another – I’ve learned my lesson. I bought mine (and the spare wires) at Crate & Barrel.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Thanks a lot, Bald1!! Just got this on my doorstep yesterday. Razz Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Took a quick look and didn't see them mentioned but I use these all the time:

Just search for herb scissors, or here's a set for $10. Make it easy to add a whole bunch of green onions and dill to some tuna or egg salad, etc, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Pri...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Immersion Blender: My wife had wanted one for a while, so I picked one up on whim. She used the heck out of it for about a week. I don't think she's touched it in over a year.

They are get for making mashed potatoes. My favorite is half and half cauliflower and Yukon Gold potatoes.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
These work passably for making boiled eggs.

I tried these and went back to steaming the eggs in a pan of water.

They say to add oil so they won't stick and then you have to boil a lot of water which takes longer and wastes energy.

I like my eggs soft boiled so it may work it you cook them longer. I had trouble getting them out even with oil coating the sides. They are a little small for jumbo eggs.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight has these for opening jars:

https://www.harborfreight.com/...GUqExUhoCPsQQAvD_BwE

Fiskars has a good pair of scissors for cutting fat off of meat, etc

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fis...rden-Shear/476228372

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I happened to notice this cheese lyre in one of my kitchen drawers today:

www.amazon.com/dp/B076T6J72X/r..._api_i_LdIQDb2WMTRV1

It’s an excellent utensil for slicing soft to medium cheese. Very neat cuts, so easy to clean, and takes almost no drawer space.

The wire is likely to break if you try to slice hard cheese. I broke one on cold aged cheddar. But have several spare wires, and I probably won’t break another – I’ve learned my lesson. I bought mine (and the spare wires) at Crate & Barrel.

My fave grocery offers a large selection of excellent domestic and imported cheese. Yesterday I noticed that they use a largish machine with a wire to cut large wheels and blocks into smaller pieces for sale. Possibly motor driven – couldn’t see well enough to be sure of that. But a wire is certainly the best choice for cutting cheese.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

This doohickey

Got it at some chef party Mrs Mike hosted ten years ago...it’s moved TWICE. First thing I did when we said we were moving to Texas, I took it down from under a cabinet and put it in my luggage.

Got one for my bro who has arthritis since he was 7, he loves it. You grab the bottom of the can or jar, shove it in there and twist, easy peasy.

ETA: Mrs Mike just said it’s from pampered chef. It says it can open jars from 3 1/2” or smaller...will this help VTail? If so INSTANT KARMA I will have one sent to you.

Send me an email if you can use it, my email is in my profile, please put sigforum in the subject line
You have mail, and THANK YOU!
It arrived -- a week or three ago. I should have posted a big "thank you" but I was waiting to get a photo or two. I'm still waiting for pictures, but no more delay; I thank you, my wife thanks you, and my no longer as strong as they used to be, pre-arthritic hands, thank you. Your generosity is appreciated.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this
https://www.amazon.com/YAMAZAK...id=1572620491&sr=8-4

on America's Test kitchen and got one,

its great for spoons, ladle's and small to medium lids.

but the big lids need to be drained off a bunch or they will drip all over the counter .

I am 60% satisfied, not overwhelmed , in the least

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Apparently this little invention has been around for awhile whilst I spent hours and hours with a paring knife. No more!

It peels, it slices, it cores...it damn near eats them for you.

It even makes julienne fries (props to the Bassomatic). Wink[/QUOTE]

You are quite welcome. Smile

This damn thread has cost me money!!!! Some great gadgets here.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post