SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen gimmicks that actually work, or don’t Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I worked part-time at Williams-Sonoma for 18-months, I was able to afford a nicer place and I wanted better kitchen tools. The amount of crap that would be put-out every season AND people would load-up their shopping baskets:

Egg timer
Avocado peeler
Pineapple peeler
Apple slicer
Onion slicing googles
Garlic skin remover
Meat tenderizing forks

It could go on, and then come in different colors for the seasons. I don't know who's worse, the retailers that put out these 'must have' 'perfect tool' devices or, the rubes who buy them thinking it's better than learning a few fundamental cooking techniques.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have the Magic Bullet, it does make a good margarita, or smoothie, and is simple to clean and use.

Wife got a few things from the women show one is a garlic press cleaner thing, works great and is easy,

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

I’ve heard rubber strap oil filter wrenches work, but have never tried one.

I think the best tool of this type is the Craftsman Strap Wrench.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00K92810A/r..._api_i_QqGNDbFQXBBKV

I have the small one – opens every thing from bottle tops to large jar lids. I also used it to tighten my kitchen sink faucet.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot, Pipe Smoker...you just cost me $20...I ordered a set of 2 of the Craftsman from Amazon.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to find something that will open a large, maybe 4" or 5" diameter, jar lid.

The Guillain Barré has left me with decreased grip strength and it is sometimes a struggle to open a new jar, especially with a larger size lid.

I use this big piece at home. No experience with the smaller tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Keeptop...d=1570638452&sr=8-24

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A Food Umbrella!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Umbrell...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with this that we got as a wedding gift 7 years ago, it's so much better than trying to use a zester or a grater:

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
This doohickey

Got it at some chef party Mrs Mike hosted ten years ago...it’s moved TWICE. First thing I did when we said we were moving to Texas, I took it down from under a cabinet and put it in my luggage.

Got one for my bro who has arthritis since he was 7, he loves it. You grab the bottom of the can or jar, shove it in there and twist, easy peasy.

ETA: Mrs Mike just said it’s from pampered chef. It says it can open jars from 3 1/2” or smaller...will this help VTail? If so INSTANT KARMA I will have one sent to you.

Send me an email if you can use it, my email is in my profile, please put sigforum in the subject line

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Electric Tea Kettle: Gets used several times a day and heats the water fast and to the perfect temperature.

Immersion Blender: My wife had wanted one for a while, so I picked one up on whim. She used the heck out of it for about a week. I don't think she's touched it in over a year.

This, but I use my immersion blender all the time. Great for soups and sauces. I got mine at Costco at a great price. The whisk and other crap it came with got binned, but the adjustable immersion blender part get used at least twice a month (or more) during the fall - spring cold and wet season here in the PNW.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best bit of kit -that isn't a knife, is an Aeropress coffee maker. Makes a great brew, quick and easy to clean with no mess.
https://aeropress.com

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 165 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Under cabinet jar opener always there when you need it and out of sight as well as one less thing in the drawer. Works great, mine is 20+ years old.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rosahane:
My best bit of kit -that isn't a knife, is an Aeropress coffee maker. Makes a great brew, quick and easy to clean with no mess.
https://aeropress.com

No gimmick, that's the device of a true coffee aficionado, compact and handy, great when you're in the backcountry.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Wife and daughter bought a Magic Bullet juicer and damn if that thing doesn't work great. Use it all the time. I has to be at least 3 years old and will grind up 2x4's! Well, maybe not 2x4's.
I'm on my second one. The first one broke after 15 years. I use the thing just about every day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the user, this is the best or worst kitchen gadget ever.
https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler...-reviews_feature_div

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Depending on the user, this is the best or worst kitchen gadget ever.
https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler...-reviews_feature_div

The reviews are hysterical Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Our local pineapples are delicious. This does a great job and gets a lot of use.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This $9.99 microwave egg cooker. You can put 2 eggs in it for 2 minutes in the microwave (with a touch of cooking spray on the surface) and 2 perfectly cooked eggs like in an egg mcmuffin come out. Or you can beat them a little and put whatever ingredients you want with them and get perfectly scrambled eggs or omelette.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...microwave-egg-cooker

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Microwave egg cooker. Great for making a quick egg sandwich.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Hom...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone makes fun of the commercials... but the Slap Chop does, indeed, do a great job with nuts, quickly. Good for holiday cooking.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

I’ve heard rubber strap oil filter wrenches work, but have never tried one.

They work very well. The set of two (large and small) I bought about 10 years ago were advertised as jar openers, but they work well for oil filters and even the metal cap that comes on gas bottles from the welder's supply place. I keep the smaller one in the kitchen (it will do most jars), and the larger in the garage. They are all over Amazon.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post