SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog question peein after eating or drinking?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog question peein after eating or drinking? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have an 13 to 14 yo female English Setter mix. She has started having accidents immediately after eating or drinking. If I make sure she goes out prior then we are good. Any idea or advice? Or is it just old age?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a urinary tract infection (UTI) will lead them to have frequent or accidental urination.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Sometimes a urinary tract infection (UTI) will lead them to have frequent or accidental urination.
That, or just plain ole incontinence due to her age. Heck, at my age, I have to hit the bathroom far more often than I ever did when I was younger too. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
That, or just plain ole incontinence due to her age. Heck, at my age, I have to hit the bathroom far more often than I ever did when I was younger too. Smile

"How in the devil can you hit a target at 200, 300 or 400 yards and miss the toilet bowl that's 18" away? Need night sights installed on that thing?"

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
If I make sure she goes out prior then we are good. Any idea or advice?

Make sure it isnt a medical issue but I think you solved your problem. Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yep, sounds like habit and weaker bladder muscles. Add the food that makes the stomach press on the bladder and there you have it. My dogs go out before they eat and after and usually pee each time. Usually a deposit after eating dinner.

Do you feed one meal per day? We switched to two meals a day to help prevent the risk of bloat but also help with habits and bathroom times.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
These 3 Things May Indicate Your Pet has a Bladder Problem ..

Dr. Karen Becker explains why understanding your pet’s urine Ph is essential to their bladder health.

Dr. Becker's Comments:

To understand your pet’s urine ph, it’s important to understand the Ph scale. Seven is neutral, everything above 7 is alkaline, everything below 7 is acidic.

Cats and dogs, being carnivores, are designed to have a slightly acidic urine Ph -- optimally between 6 and 6.5.

Dogs and cats, of course, are designed to eat meat, and this diet drops their urine into this slightly acidic range. Vegetarian animals, like goats and horses, have a more alkaline urine because they eat primarily grains and grasses.

A problem arises, however, when dogs and cats, which are designed to eat meat, are fed a grain-based diet, as is the case with many commercial dog and cat foods. This causes their urine to become more alkaline, which may lead to three major problems.

The Bladder Risks of Feeding Your Pet a High-Grain Diet

Three major problems come about when dogs or cats develop alkaline urine:

Infection, because the natural bladder defenses are unable to maintain the urine’s correct Ph. Urine is sterile when kept at the appropriate 6 to 6.5 Ph, but when it creeps up toward the alkaline side the urine loses it’s natural defenses becomes more hospitable environment for infection to occur.

Cystitis (bladder inflammation). Cats especially can end up with chronic inflammation of the bladder, a painful condition that can lead to bleeding and secondary infection.

Urinary crystals or stones. When a urine Ph becomes alkaline, minerals can settle out of the urine and form crystals, which are microscopic, sharp particles that irritate and inflame the bladder. If crystals remain in the bladder long enough, they can fuse together to form stones.

So a healthy urine Ph is incredibly important for your pet’s bladder health, not only to prevent infection but also chronic inflammation, crystals and stones.

What to Do if You Suspect Your Pet Has a Bladder Problem

If your pet is urinating outside the litter box or around the house, it could be an indication of a bladder problem. In this case, it’s important that you drop a urine sample off with your veterinarian so they can perform a urinalysis.

A urinalysis will provide valuable information about why your pet is having urinary problems. In addition to providing information about the presence of blood, protein, glucose, keytones and bilirubin, a urinalysis will also determine how well your pet can concentrate his or her urine … a good indication of kidney health. Urinalysis will also detect white blood cells, which means there is inflammation or infection, and a urine culture and sensitivity can determine if bacteria is present, and what type, to help devise a treatment plan.

If an infection is present, medication may be needed to treat the problem. However, sometimes pets experience inflammation or crystals without any infection present. In this latter case a different set of medications may initially be needed, but ultimately, in both situations, this is often a sign that it may be time to change their diet.

What Type of Diet is Best for Your Pet’s Bladder Health?

If your pet is experiencing chronic bladder problems, poor or improper diet is the culprit in the vast majority of cases.

A prescription diet, which many vets may offer you, typically combines high-carb foods with medications to drop your pet's urine Ph. Doesn't it make much more sense to feed your pet a food that does not contain those alkalizing carbohydrates, and that is naturally low in carbs?

By feeding your pet a species-appropriate, raw food diet, which will naturally be low in carbs, you can often help them achieve a perfect urinary Ph balance without the need for poor-quality prescription diets.

http://healthypets.mercola.com...bladder-problem.aspx

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It also may have to do with the strain of bending down to eat/drink. Before she died, our 14 year old Malamute started having bladder issues and difficulty bending down at about the same time. We had a lightbulb moment when we noticed that she was preferring to drink out of the toilet instead of her water dish, which is something she had never done before. We ended up putting​ her food and water on a riser to make it easier for her to get to.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to make her go out more often but she had an accident last night. I have a trough raised up about 4 inches that she rufesed to drink out of.... because it wasn't her bowl that was raised up. I think she is getting tired, I have two other dogs but she has watched 3 of her mates pass. The last two were really hard on her.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I would fear that it may be Cushing's disease. We went through this with our JRT.

Please get her checked out by your vet sooner then later.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post