SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I may be a flashlight addict. Please share your story.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I may be a flashlight addict. Please share your story. Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
have 6 flashlights scattered on my desk in front of me right now. And that is just a fraction of the total around here. Trouble is when I need one, I can't find it.

I am a sick Sigforumite.

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My favorite is the Tiablo ACE.G. I bought it 7 years ago, and I am not certain that particular model is still widely available. It throws a long powerful beam that is handy for outside at night. It is not a pocket light.

I have become fond of the inexpensive Pelican small lights (1910 & 1920), single and double AAA. They are under $25 each. A 1910 is always in my pocket and a 1920 clipped to the visor of my truck.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
There was a method to my madness., which didn't last all that long.

I took a look at what I had, and decided I needed to upgrade and/or improve. Moved away from twist-switches to all tail-cap switches, except for one.

Added newer versions with better illumination, in some cases being able to use re-chargeable and regular batteries. Big positive.

Also got a small lantern-style for emergency use- our old ones just didn't cut it any more.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a substance abuse problem. Flashlights.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit of a flashlight addict myself. Custom bored surefires, elzetta, and malkoff. If you dont want to spend money stay away from pflexpro. It's all I use now. Custom made drop ins for surefire style bodies. Affordable and they push the limits of performance that is available in a surefire sized drop in.

Posts: 537 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Recreational user. Not addicted...yet.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm a Fenix addict, not a flashlight addict. I have no idea how many I have now but it's a bunch. The PD35 Tac is a beast. I can hardly wait for a PD38 to come out. If it's beastlier than the PD35 I'll buy 2 for sure. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Help a Brother out. What is this PD38 of which you speak?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

I just made it up. I figured after the PD30, PD32 and PD35 came it was logical that in the future they will have a PD38. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Recreational user. Not addicted...yet.

I can help you along with that..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have gone through several light buying sprees over the past few years, with the most recent being keychain micro USB rechargeable lights. I currently pretty much stick to using my Nitecore TIP and Surefire Sidekick as they are 360 and 300 lumens each and that's enough for my EDC needs. I'll occasionally grab my trusty Foursevens quark 123 though it is double the size and has less lumens than the key fob sized lights. The technology over the last couple years has been great and I can only imagine how awesome it will be in the future.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the Streamlight ProTac 2L. Have two of them, one goes wherever I go.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good post, P-220. I'm a MAG-LITE fan too. For many years I've had 2D and 2AA incandescent versions. About a year ago I bought an LED 2AA MAG-LITE at my local hardware store. Then, a couple of months ago, I bought a 2D LED MAG-LITE on Amazon for $22.75 with free shipping. It was so inexpensive because it had a big white "FLUKE" (as in multimeter) logo printed on it. Likely these were a promotional item, and some overstock retailer got some of them.

I know that there are smaller, and brighter, LED flashlights to be had, but the MAG-LITEs work well for me. I like the fact that they don't have any "modes" – I press the button, and a steady light comes on, just what I want. The size and weight of the 2D is no disadvantage for me, and useful if I need to whack a perp.

I don't need a flashlight often, so the alkaline batteries provide enough energy for my use – I replace the batteries every two years as a matter of principle. The alkalines have less self-discharge than any rechargeable, and I can buy them in any grocery or drugstore.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
I absolutely love the Streamlight ProTac 2L. Have two of them, one goes wherever I go.

Agree 100%, keep one in the work truck and one in the personal truck. Excellent torches.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A Surefire 9p was my gateway drug just over 20yrs ago while working as a paramedic. Man, I thought that thing could light up an auto accident at night. Little did I know!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm simple.

Fenix PD35 Tac for long pants, PD25 for shorts, and Surefire Titan (regular) on the keychain.

I had a Surefire Fury several years ago but lost it on a work trip; I prefer Fenix ergonomics and multiple light outputs, as 99% of the time I'm using it for a 'normal' purpose, not tactical.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I switched to First light a year ago. First with the Torq, to test the waters. Then a TMAX Pro last December. Very impressed. Took some re-training but once you train on the finger loop retention system, well for me, any previous lights were rendered obsolete. Build quality solid, made in USA, and they are a US military supplier.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

I just made it up. I figured after the PD30, PD32 and PD35 came it was logical that in the future they will have a PD38. Big Grin

Jim

You are a cruel, evil man. I was going to call my contact at Fenix and ask him why I hadn't received any info on the PD38 yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
My 'good' flashlight addiction began with the Kel-lite; then progressed through Maglites, Surefires, and Streamlights. Does it ever end?

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GUILTY GULITY GUILTY from Maglight rechargeable to Fendix to Blocklights that snap onto 9 volt batteries I have done it all. Flashlights are wallet draining to say the least. Flashlights have saved my pelt on calls, searches and fights. As the judge said to a coworker flashlights are for illumination not enlightenment. But the perfect light is still to be created... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post