SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    atf lgs shutdowns

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
atf lgs shutdowns Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
My lgs was shut down last week.All inventory was taken somewhere.There have been 4 other stores in Oregon that have been closed,doors locked this month.
The atf is very serious about gun stores following the law to the letter.I personally spent the whole day in the parking lot,waiting to get interviewed,as i was asked to. Not one firearm left.Walked into store at 6 pm and it was bare.
I have to be honest gents,talk about a shock.I really don't think the atf would have gone this far unless there were some egregious violations,which i think there were.
But the days of getting slapped on the knuckles and follow the letter of the law better are gone,here in Oregon anyway.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Punctuation, paragraphs and proper case in your posts, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
W
Will do para,sorry

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
The FFL holder for the shop I worked for briefly a few years back - not long after I quit, the ATF did an audit with him. He'd been in business for several years, but it was his first. I'm not sure how much it was the audit vs the market vs working for the shop owner, or the combination, but it scared him. I only knew the audit happened because he called me to see if I had a Glock 26 that, for some reason, had a S/N issue on the books and the ATF had questions about it. luckily I remembered the issue.

I haven't seen anyone shut down, but I've definitely heard a couple horror stories about the ATF audits.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Porter,there is a lgs about 45 minute's south of us,that was raided the same day last week.The first run through the books's found 200 missing gun's.
After spending the day ,the owner and atf agent's ended up 75 gun's that are missing.The store is closed permanently.ATF took the fl license with them
That could be to poor paperwork,poor background form's being processed correctly.
I do know the Gun store's in this state are going to have triple check every form, or they will get a visit.And if the store is an older store,with year's and year's of transactions,i guarantee the atf will find error's.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I must be fortunate in my Industry Operations Investigators (IOIs).

My audits have been positive, and I would say excellent opportunities to discuss business operations. The IOIs have seen good and bad practices, and will share both if you ask. I suspect the fact I take notes helps. Nonetheless, I have learned from them, and I hope they from me.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
Porter, there is an lgs about 45 minutes south of us that was raided the same day last week. The first run through the books found 200 missing guns.

After spending the day, the owner and atf agents ended up with 75 guns that are missing. The store is closed permanently. ATF took the fl (FFL?) license with them. That could be due to poor paperwork or poor background forms being processed correctly.

I do know the gun stores in this state are going to have to triple check every form or they will get a visit. And if the store is an older store, with years and years of transactions, I guarantee the atf will find errors.
Corrected for you.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I am an FFL in Berryville Virginia.

I have to say without exception, every ATF agent, or contractor working for them I have dealt with, have been a pleasure to deal with.

If you are doing the paperwork, doing your job, they are great at helping.

If you are telling me a LGS had 70+ missing guns, then that is a serious problem, and they are obviously not doing what they are licensed to do. I would certainly hope the license would be pulled.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:

Hey - Good to see you here again!

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to say without exception, every ATF agent, or contractor working for them I have dealt with, have been a pleasure to deal with.
If you are doing the paperwork, doing your job, they are great at helping.
If you are telling me a LGS had 70+ missing guns, then that is a serious problem, and they are obviously not doing what they are licensed to do. I would certainly hope the license would be pulled.

Yep. What he said. Every single BATFE person I have dealt with has been great. Just follow the rules, which are very clearly stated, and you will be fine.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% dan.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There was probably something seriously illegal going on at those stores, not some little paperwork error. For as much as we love to hate BATFE, I doubt if they wake up one morning, say, "What gun store can we fuck with today" and just pick one at random.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What four stores are we talking about? Store names?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
At a gun show I frequent, there is an FFL holder that I talk to a lot. About a year ago, he told me that his FFL was pulled and he was no longer allowed to sell guns. He still sells reloading gear.
I asked why they pulled it and his answer was that he had a customer by a gun from another man in another state. That man sent it from his FFL.
It seems the sending FFL holder wrote the gun up as a rifle and the receiving FFL holder wrote it up as a carbine.

I am not sure this is the truth, but I do trust this small town guy? He said that he looked the gun up on the internet and the manufacturer called it a carbine, so he did.

If this incident is true, it is pretty petty.
Most gun guys know the difference between a rifle and a carbine. I am not sure on the crossover point.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

Hey - Good to see you here again!

Thanks, I check sigforum dozens of times a day, but really just enjoy reading. I share when I think I have something of value, otherwise I tend to just be quiet. :-)

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
What four stores are we talking about? Store names?

Wonder if this was one of the stores?

quote:
At least nine agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms served a warrant Thursday morning at Albany Guns and Coins and Jewelry at 1225 Pacific Blvd. S.E. The agents were reported to be seizing guns and files at the business. North Albany resident Nick Russell is the registered owner.

http://democratherald.com/news...6a-ad32c11c9884.html

This happened in 2015 in Salem:

quote:

A Salem businessman pleaded not guilty Monday to selling firearms without a license and illegally possessing a Sten MK II submachine gun.

Andrew Nordstrom, the 41-year-old owner of Salem Emblems, a business that sells T shirts and letterman jackets, appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Patricia Sullivan in Portland. She set his trial date for Oct. 6.

Agents of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched Nordstrom's home and business last November after a long-term investigation in which they made repeated undercover gun purchases. Their aim was to keep illegal firearms out of the hands of criminals, according to Douglas R. Dawson, special agent in charge of the ATF's Seattle Field Division.

"We hope that the citizens of Oregon understand that we will seek out those who are selling firearms without an appropriate federal firearms license and recommend for prosecution those who decide to make our communities unsafe," Dawson told The Oregonian/Oregonlive in a written statement.

Nordstrom's troubles began in early 2013, when a man walked into Blackwater Tactical, a Salem gun store, to buy his dad a handgun as a gift, according to a federal search warrant affidavit signed by Michael C. McNall, a veteran ATF Agent.

The man spoke to a salesman behind the counter about buying a Beretta .22-caliber pistol. The salesman explained that the weapon, on consignment, belonged to a man at the store next door. He walked off to retrieve him.

The pistol's owner soon appeared, negotiated a price with the purchaser, and said, "I will just sell it to you in the parking lot," according to the affidavit. The buyer paid $325 for the gun, filled out no paperwork and underwent no background check.

After making the parking-lot buy, the man walked away feeling that something wasn't right. He called a friend, an investigator at the Oregon Department of Justice, who suggested that he call the ATF.

This began an investigation that would identify Nordstrom as the seller of the .22. The ATF would learn that Nordstrom, who is not a licensed gun dealer, had purchased 122 handguns in less than five years - 103 of them from Blackwater Tactical, according to the affidavit.

Undercover ATF agents and an informant, posing as firearms buyers, met several times with Nordstrom and his cronies at his store, buying a wide array of weapons. Nordstrom also rented space to Blackwater Tactical.

Federal agents found about 300 firearms at Nordstrom's home, business and other locations, reportedly uncovering the Sten submachine gun at his house in Scio.

Sullivan allowed Nordstrom to remain out of jail as he awaits trial. She ordered that he not possess or sell any firearms. But she allowed Nordstrom's wife to keep a rifle in their home as long as her husband had no access to the weapon.

http://www.oregonlive.com/paci...lem_businessman.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
At a gun show I frequent, there is an FFL holder that I talk to a lot. About a year ago, he told me that his FFL was pulled and he was no longer allowed to sell guns. He still sells reloading gear.
I asked why they pulled it and his answer was that he had a customer by a gun from another man in another state. That man sent it from his FFL.
It seems the sending FFL holder wrote the gun up as a rifle and the receiving FFL holder wrote it up as a carbine.

I am not sure this is the truth, but I do trust this small town guy? He said that he looked the gun up on the internet and the manufacturer called it a carbine, so he did.

If this incident is true, it is pretty petty.
Most gun guys know the difference between a rifle and a carbine. I am not sure on the crossover point.

When recording firearm dispositions, there are 3 (non NFA) types = Long gun, handgun, other. Long gun gets further broken down to one of two types, rifle or shotgun. There is no carbine, that's FFL 101. As others have said, ATF is usually pretty easy to deal with...if you follow the rules. I'm skeptical the guy lost his license over just that one error.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
< snip >

When recording firearm dispositions, there are 3 (non NFA) types = Long gun, handgun, other. Long gun gets further broken down to one of two types, rifle or shotgun. There is no carbine, that's FFL 101. As others have said, ATF is usually pretty easy to deal with...if you follow the rules. I'm skeptical the guy lost his license over just that one error.

This. But if he didn't know that... what else was he doing wrong?

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:

This. But if he didn't know that... what else was he doing wrong?

Indeed. While that kind of error is certainly not good most of the stories I hear in the industry lead me to believe one instance of something like that would result in a fine and/or warning. I'm extremely skeptical he had his license revoked for that single error.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Report This Post