SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Durango - Silverton Railroad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Durango - Silverton Railroad Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
OPEN AIR IS SCENIC BUT EXPECT CINDERS FROM THE ENGINE FALLING ON YOU, HAIR, EYES, & ETC.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We took the train in '08 but never made it to Silverton. On the advice of a young lady that we met while waiting for the train, we got off before Silverton and did an all day zip line called Soaring Tree Top Adventure. It was all unplanned and turned out to be the highlight of out entire trip out west. So we spent some time on the train but also zip lined through the trees and over the river and had a fantastic time. They even provided lunch which was served in the trees. I would highly recommend it.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I did it in an open car on a beautiful day. That is what I would recommend if the weather is good.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I was allowed back in the shop one evening to take some photos. Really cool operation, they machine most parts in house.

There were some pros out there photographing the Eureka, I took advantage of their flash setup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
I live about 40 minutes from Durango and go up there often. If you need any advice about where to stay or eat let me know.

We could even meet up if you were so inclined.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks for the offer! We'll be there at the end of June. It's going to be a really quick trip, but we;re looking forward to it. Could you recommend a good restaurant in Duragno?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
When we did the ride several years ago, it was unable to make the entire trip due to snow. They stopped the train next to a bridge over a river, and everyone exited for a little fun in the snow and hiking fun. This image is of Silverton later that day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ftttu,

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
When we did the ride several years ago, it was unable to make the entire trip due to snow. They stopped the train next to a bridge over a river, and everyone exited for a little fun in the snow and hiking fun. This image is of Silverton later that day.

Beautiful photo! What month was that?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did the trip from Durango some years ago during the winter. The train goes about halfway and uses a Y to turn around and come back.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
I live about 40 minutes from Durango and go up there often. If you need any advice about where to stay or eat let me know.

Thanks for the offer! We'll be there at the end of June. It's going to be a really quick trip, but we;re looking forward to it. Could you recommend a good restaurant in Duragno?

It would be easier to try and make a list of places not to eat at. The food is good there, unlike where I live in New Mexico. Smile

We can talk about price range and what kind of food you like. There are a ton of great places to eat in Durango.

It is also Craft Beer heaven. We tried to work it out and we think there is something like one brewery for every 500 adults in Durango. There is also a cool distillery. I'll drop you and email to the address in your account tomorrow. We are off to see a blues band tonight.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ken and Sue's, 636 Main, is good for dinner. There's a small breakfast place named Oscars next to Ace Hardware, very good breakfast, and has a train running around inside. I like both places. Enjoy!

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I did the 4th of July train several years ago. Go up during the day and the only time it will come back in the dark, after the fireworks. That was a great trip. Seeing the smoke stack in the clear night was cool.
My butt was a little sore from the wood seat. Big Grin

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We'll be in Durango the last weekend in June as well. This could be fun.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

Beautiful photo! What month was that?

Thanks. It just looked, and it was March 25th, 2008. Beautiful weather the time I was there.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post