SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Durango - Silverton Railroad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Durango - Silverton Railroad Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My wife and I are going to ride the Durango-Silverton RR for our anniversary this year - a 7 hour round-trip. We have the choice of buying open-air seats or indoor seats. Has anybody done this trip? We'd like to know if the open-air seating gets tiring after awhile.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it in an open car. Views are spectacular but you will get dirty riding behind a coal fired engine.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Have done that trip. Great. Been a long time ago but I think we were inside. Only downside to open air is you are behind a steam engine so you will experience the engines smoke.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for the open air. Take rain gear.

I'm jealous. Would love to do that. Beautiful canyon.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Either way you go it's an awesome ride!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
About an hour of the open car would have been enough to ruin our vacation, according to my wife. Wink

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was all fired up to make the trip myself but the sudden appearance of my old Nemesis of "Edge Phobia" precluded at the last moment.

We did drive up to Silverton thru the middle of some swarthy road-bicycling racer tour. Beautiful country whichever seating you get.

Telluride is worth the side trip as well if you have the time.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I did way back in 19 and aught 63.

Yeah, loved the train. The "clickity-clack", sleeper car, the dining car and just sitting and watching the world change out the window. Left out of Columbus Ohio, and ended up in Vallejo California.

Oh, and going through the tunnels. Beyond words, and still a thrill to remember all these years later.

Almost as much as flying.

Saw a couple of old rusty cars that looked like they missed a curve on those skinny mountain roads.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Either way you go it's an awesome ride!

It is an amazing trip. One I highly recommend.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
If we book the same seats on the outbound and return trains, will we see the same sights, or does the train somehow 'turn around' in Silverton?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did the Durango-Silverton ride back in 2012, but I booked the train-coach tour, which used the train to Silverton and a coach for the return trip. Those 2 modes of travel use different routes through the mountains and one does see different sights that way.

As I recall, the train itself does not turn around, they just move the locomotive from one end to the other. (I did not experience that.)

If you are wanting a lot of good photos, I'd opt for one of the outside seats. (Yeah, you'll need a shower and a change of clothes back at the hotel/motel, but that's no biggie.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631316512328/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631543439819/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I definitely do not like riding in open cars behind coal-fired locomotives. It’s not just the smoke, but there are little cinders in the discharge as well and it was no coincidence that removing cinders from eyes was a big deal back when that sort of long distance transport was the norm. Some of the particles are also still hot enough to damage synthetics when they reach the passengers. Even if one is seated in a covered car, it should be possible to walk to the uncovered car(s) and spend time there if desired.

My wife loves that sort of train travel; me, not so much.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Try to get tickets on the Silver Vista car. Open air and has a glass roof. Also weighs something like 4 times as much as a normal car so the ride is very smooth. We have taken it twice on our trips.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3598 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are booked for May 19th. We'll be staying in the Statler Hotel too.

I watched it trundle back and forth for a week elk hunting a few years ago. Swore I'd be back to ride.

Any suggestions on things to do for a few nights?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
If we book the same seats on the outbound and return trains, will we see the same sights, or does the train somehow 'turn around' in Silverton?

The trains do turn around by backing up into a Y (the brochure spells it "Wye" ) siding. The trip was beautiful, and since it moves at a spritely 15 mph you can get good unblurred pictures. There isn't much time to visit Silverton as the train leaves about an hour after arriving, so plan your meal time around that.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJG:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

The trains do turn around by backing up into a Y (the brochure spells it "Wye" ) siding. The trip was beautiful, and since it moves at a spritely 15 mph you can get good unblurred pictures. There isn't much time to visit Silverton as the train leaves about an hour after arriving, so plan your meal time around that.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
I rode it the week before Elvis died, so it was a while ago. Spectacular views, you get covered in soot and may get cold on the open air car. I would ride inside.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have ridden the coal-powered train at Dollywood in TN. It's open-air.

That 20-minute ride had me brushing cinders off my body for the next 30 minutes. They were EVERYWHERE.

I'd go for the enclosed car, simply for that reason.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I did the Durango-Silverton ride back in 2012, but I booked the train-coach tour, which used the train to Silverton and a coach for the return trip. Those 2 modes of travel use different routes through the mountains and one does see different sights that way.

As I recall, the train itself does not turn around, they just move the locomotive from one end to the other. (I did not experience that.)

If you are wanting a lot of good photos, I'd opt for one of the outside seats. (Yeah, you'll need a shower and a change of clothes back at the hotel/motel, but that's no biggie.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631316512328/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631543439819/

flashguy

Thanks for posting all those images Flashguy, awesome!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I live about 40 minutes from Durango and go up there often. If you need any advice about where to stay or eat let me know.

We could even meet up if you were so inclined.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post