SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Go to Cuba?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Go to Cuba? Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Not in this life time. I have some good ex-cuba friends who escaped that hell hole with only the shirts on their back. Castro got the rest.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Never underestimate the risk that you may become a "bargaining chip" or an "unfortunate misunderstanding."

Like in going to Mexico? I have friends who were robbed at gun point while on motorcycle trip thru Mex-e-ho.

Cuba, no thanks.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've been when I was in the CG, we saved some sinking Cubans and Cuba was all too happy to get them back....

We were not allowed to wander off and visit though...we traded with the locals and bought some rum, etc....American dollars went a lonnnnng way.

But mostly it appeared to be just another third world shithole I've seen before.

And there's the whole not being able to carry my gun....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with Cuba is dated to the summer of 1968 at Gitmo with 3rd battalion 8th Marines. We were tasked with perimeter security. That said the Cuban security forces would shoot to kill those individuals detected trying to escape. Blue-green tracers thus fast roping out of the guard towers. One night at our guard post two Cuban soldiers and a brother of one of the soldiers escaped over to our side. In the morning checking the fence three individuals on our side of the fence a man and his two sons. The wife of the man and mother of the sons didn't make it over.

There were other occurrences but the previously written typified what generally occurred during my period of service there. A government that executes people for the act of simply leaving is basically still in power even thou they may no longer execute individuals for the act of simply leaving.

No you won't see me going to Cuba.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The problem with world travel is it is either unsafe or too expensive.

You used to be able to go to Mexico for vacation because it was cheap, good and fun before all the Cartel stuff, kidnapping whatever.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
No but hell no the same with mexico.

That's my answer too.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Yes. The more contact Cubans have with the Free World, the quicker they will boot Castro's Brother out. Maybe Putin will want him ...

Sounds good in theory. I am not sure such will work in reality. Deposing decades of despotism will happen in time, but to speed things up will be a hard, and likely a violent battle. (Out former neighbors were Cuban refugees).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My family and I were able to leave Cuba in 1968.
The reason we left Cuba is still there, so HELL NO, I would not go back to Cuba.

And I have no use whatsoever for anyone that wants to go back to Cuba, such as my American born Sister who a few years ago said that she would like to go to visit Cuba.

I informed her that if she did while our parents are still alive, she should NEVER expect to talk to me again. She knows FULL WELL what they went through to be able to leave and go to a country where they have FREEDOM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The 2 things that Cuba Offers are world renowned. Cigars and Whores (Some would argue the Best in the World)
So Yes, I would go.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Yes. The more contact Cubans have with the Free World, the quicker they will boot Castro's Brother out. Maybe Putin will want him ...

Except Europeans have been vacationing there for decades. My wife's Aunt and Uncle have been there at least twice. Nothing's changed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
No future plans to go, and I doubt that will ever change. Mostly because I have other areas of the world I would go to first!

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nah, I do not think so. I would rather spend the money in the U.S.of A.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. 1998 & 1999 "Havana Cup" sailboat race from St Petersburg , Fl to Marina Hemingway just outside of Havana.

The people and country were wonderful. The gov't sucked. We actually smuggled some items (clothing/toiletries) into the country for relatives of a friend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomS,

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
My family and I were able to leave Cuba in 1968.
The reason we left Cuba is still there, so HELL NO, I would not go back to Cuba.

And I have no use whatsoever for anyone that wants to go back to Cuba, such as my American born Sister who a few years ago said that she would like to go to visit Cuba.

I informed her that if she did while our parents are still alive, she should NEVER expect to talk to me again. She knows FULL WELL what they went through to be able to leave and go to a country where they have FREEDOM.

Other than your own first hand experience of what Cuba is really like, what other credibility might you offer? [/sarc off]

That said, thank you for being here in America. We need more like you.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Hell no - all money spent in Cuba goes straight to the communist government. Stupid that people are supporting that.

When the communist government is finally overthrown and Cuba is free, I might consider it, but not until then.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Cuba has long been a destination for Canadian and European travelers.

All the more reason not to go.
Wink

The Booze Traveller tv show recently travelled to Cuba. Jack Maxwell met a table of Swedes (I think), one of which told him they go to Cuba because "Americans don't go there." I don't remember exactly how Maxwell responded, but it struck me as "Well, fuck you too." I liked him more after that.

I'm neither anxious to go, or completely dismissive of the idea. Not a priority--that's for sure.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd go to Cuba.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Not a single cent of mine, not a FRACTION of a cent of mine, will I knowingly give over to that murderous, corrupt regime.

The day democracy is a reality in Cuba, let me know. Until then, no. Hell, no

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eventually.

The biggest issue Cuba is having is very little accommodations and not many restaurants. Accommodation rentals of the most basic form are far and few between. There are resort areas that Mexican, Canadian and European travelers stay at however, they're not to be confused with Sandals or, Club Med type resorts, basic would be the optimal word. Because the people are so poor, there's no money to open a restaurant let alone, go out to eat at one. Govt apparatchiks are the only ones who have such means and they'll just go each other's homes where the help staff does the cooking. I dated a Canadian girl who had traveled to Cuba, I asked her all about it and she simply shrugged her shoulder and said, ...if you're interested in stepping back in time, it's interesting otherwise, its a very well worn country where it's govt does just enough to keep the people busy and healthy.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Not in this life time. I have some good ex-cuba friends who escaped that hell hole with only the shirts on their back. Castro got the rest.

Forgive the spelling / grammar errors:

Yo espero de bailar sur los osos de los dos Castros

Not going till they're both dead

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post