SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Go to Cuba?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Go to Cuba? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I wish I had already gone. It will be like Cabo in a few years.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
My son was there last year and does not think they are ready for us. Not much in the way of hotels, etc. Also limited internet and it is censored.

I don't remember where it was published, maybe the Atlantic, but a while ago I posted a long article which explained essentially this.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I've been to Gitmo several times. Having had my home town of Ft Lauderdale invaded, I'd like to go go to Havana and rent a car and drive around like an ass hole just to see what it's like!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I'm here already, so, umm, yeah? Now if they would only open the North East gate I'll head over to Santiago.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramtough:
Fuck no; I've been to Florida.

I LOL on that.

I would like to. I would like to take my boat and fish and snorkel some of the untouched reefs. It would be a lot of catch and release fishing just enough for a couple of meals. But I want to experience what my mom and her brothers and sisters experienced growing up in keys in the early 40s also on my dad side my grandmother grew up in key west in the teens to 20. Both sides are gringos, hell on my moms side Thomas Nelson (related) signed the Declaration of Independence. I just want to see the waters and reefs.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Nope, too many other places on my list.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been there and it wasn't all that great. The weather sucked, the hours sucked even more, and the beer was preserved with formaldehyde.Wink The water was spectacular, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
My son was there last year and does not think they are ready for us. Not much in the way of hotels, etc. Also limited internet and it is censored.

My cousin went a few months ago on one of the "educational trips", and he said pretty much the same thing. I'm sure he didn't plan as he should have, but I won't go until they sort this stuff out for Americans.

Apparently, there is very limited access for credit cards & ATMs, and his didn't work. Since they didn't bring enough cash for hotels, they had to come up with an elaborate way to rent from American Cubans on AirBNB. To get internet, they had to wait in a long line to get internet access cards.

Other interesting things, apparently beach access is extremely limited, and you need a permit to be near or live on the beach. You know, in case you were tempted to build a raft or something. Not that it matters, because I guess you're not supposed to do "touristy things" on these education trips.

Yeah, I'll pass for now.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no interest in going there. Even if it was all-expenses paid.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'd like to go.

I have a lot of Canadian friends that go every year and love it. Supposedly the food sucks.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My wife went last year. She loved it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
No.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
FIL, MIL, boat and crew there as we "forum". Neither of them is as happy with the trip as FIL "knew" they'd be.

MIL says it's "interesting" with "crumbling buildings and old cars".

They had to hire a "guide/ translator" for their stay and when they are ashore, the crew must stay on the boat to make sure it doesn't get stolen (and it's a BIG boat). The tender must be hoisted aboard each night so it doesn't get liberated either.

Also when ashore they are required to spend at least 8 hours a day interacting with locals...

No thanks.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The culture is interesting to me, but to be honest, I feel that traveling anywhere where poverty is rampant imparts risk. Poverty creates desperation creates unpredictability. Gringos are targets. It's probably fairly safe, until it isn't.

I can get 80% of the experience in Miami.
I like your thinking there!
But, I wonder how safe we'd be in Miami?
At least we can carry protection in Miami. Not so much in Cuba.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
In a decade, perhaps.

Yep. Like buying a car in it's first model year, better to wait.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Cuba has long been a destination for Canadian and European travelers.

All the more reason not to go.
Wink

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Grandma went a few years ago. She loved it. The pictures she took were amazing. No where near the top of my list, but if I won a free trip, I'd go in a heart beat.

The thing I thought was interesting was her cab driver bragged about earning the same as a doctor. What's the motivation to become a doctor there? Or inventor?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
Just before high school graduation in 1957 a buddy was trying to talk me into joining him in fighting for Castro's forces. I considered that foe almost a minute, then completed paperwork for attending the New Mexico institute of Mining and Technology. I would not go to Cuba.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not interested, but I think we can have a positive influence in helping the people of Cuba kick out the current regime.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate the risk that you may become a "bargaining chip" or an "unfortunate misunderstanding."

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post