SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Go to Cuba?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Go to Cuba? Login/Join 
Picture of sigmoid
posted
It's not that far away to see the true affects of communism first hand.
Would you go?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
No but hell no the same with mexico.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I would but I would stay at a resort. Cuba has long been a destination for Canadian and European travelers.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Yes. The more contact Cubans have with the Free World, the quicker they will boot Castro's Brother out. Maybe Putin will want him ...

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Looked at some trips with diving but Cuba is expensive compared to some other Caribbean destination.

Cuba isn't new to tourism. Canadians and Europeans have been going there for years.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, yes!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I plan to go soon.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My son was there last year and does not think they are ready for us. Not much in the way of hotels, etc. Also limited internet and it is censored.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Americans can go by boat and it's no big deal. There's one marina near Havana that sees lots of US boats. US authorities there will likely make a record of your visit.

My son sailed in there a couple of years ago on the way to Panama from Key West. They wanted to see Cuba before it opened up. Some of the things they learned is they are given food and shelter but usually they have some scheme to make more money that can get them in trouble. Cab drivers make more than doctors. They love US dollars because it can enable them to travel to other countries. Travel within Cuba is restricted to Cubans, you may not be able to see family in nearby towns when you want to.

They picked up a girl from Philidelphia who was travelling with a Mexican captain on a yacht. He ran aground entering the marina harbor. The boat was stripped by the next morning.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
No desire to visit Cuba, Mexico, PR.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I would but I would stay at a resort. Cuba has long been a destination for Canadian and European travelers.

This, I would love to see Cuba and have always wanted to. Carneval now has a cruise that goes there, but it's super expensive for a week cruise compared to a week cruise in the Carribbean.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck no; I've been to Florida.

Posts: 124 | Registered: December 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no I will not go

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I haven't been since 1998 when we were the first US Flagged ship to visit Cuba (other than GITMO) under Castro. The reefs were pristine. I know several Brits who have invested in tourism on the Island, but the commies aren't going to get any of my money.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../01/980107065609.htm

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Americans can go by boat and it's no big deal. There's one marina near Havana that sees lots of US boats. US authorities there will likely make a record of your visit.

My son sailed in there a couple of years ago on the way to Panama from Key West. They wanted to see Cuba before it opened up. Some of the things they learned is they are given food and shelter but usually they have some scheme to make more money that can get them in trouble. Cab drivers make more than doctors. They love US dollars because it can enable them to travel to other countries. Travel within Cuba is restricted to Cubans, you may not be able to see family in nearby towns when you want to.

They picked up a girl from Philidelphia who was travelling with a Mexican captain on a yacht. He ran aground entering the marina harbor. The boat was stripped by the next morning.

What happened to the girl?

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Nah. Too much of my own country I haven't seen. Besides...I've been to the crap-hole of Mexico and really don't think Cuba would be much different, save for the "resort" areas that attract tourists.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The culture is interesting to me, but to be honest, I feel that traveling anywhere where poverty is rampant imparts risk. Poverty creates desperation creates unpredictability. Gringos are targets. It's probably fairly safe, until it isn't.

I can get 80% of the experience in Miami.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Nope. I won't place one thin dime in the hands of the communist government.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In a decade, perhaps.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The culture is interesting to me, but to be honest, I feel that traveling anywhere where poverty is rampant imparts risk. Poverty creates desperation creates unpredictability. Gringos are targets. It's probably fairly safe, until it isn't.

I can get 80% of the experience in Miami.

I like your thinking there!
But, I wonder how safe we'd be in Miami?