SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As cheap as it is and easy to change the oil on a lawn mower, I cannot fathom why so many members here have never done it, or only do it once every 10 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Briggs markets a new engine that they state never requires an oil change. This is marketing, nothing else. Anyone with a smidgen of knowledge about combustion engines realizes that you will get better service and longer life from your equipment if you maintain it. And its perfectly normal and acceptable to tip over a push mower to drain the oil through the oil fill hole.

No oil changes ever? - That just seems counter intuitive. I agree that it's marketing.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

That's how every push mower I've ever owned has been.

I've only had 2 push mowers, one ancient and the other purchased new in the early 90's, both had a drain plug underneath. I just find it odd..

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just did a full tuneup and changed the drive belt on my 24 yr old JD mower. The oil did not look too bad but the spark plug was finger tight and the drive belt was almost snapped in two.

Kawasaki is probably still laughing about the thing they placed right in front of the oil filter.

Oreilly had the 15w-40 Rotella on sale so it should be good for another few years.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I gave up an bought an electric lawn mower. I do have a small front lawn, but best decision ever. Its quiet, light, cuts very well, mulches, and the charge on the larger of the 2 lithium batteries it came with lasts at least 3-4 mows.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
That's why I have older Lawn Boys. Never change oil.

You are changing the oil every fill up.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a toro push mower I bought at a garage sale 8yrs ago and it was 5yrs old when I got it. I top up the oil but its never been drained. I take good care of the vehicles and the house, after all that's done I just don't have the time or energy for the poor neglected mower.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
As cheap as it is and easy to change the oil on a lawn mower, I cannot fathom why so many members here have never done it, or only do it once every 10 years.

This ^^^^
I think my Briggs says every 50 Hours.
I gave more for my Mower than several of the cars I've owned! Dang right I'm changing it... 2 or 3 times a year, oil filter too, well ahead of recommended intervals.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Interesting timing...

My Fiancee's mom just purchase a new Toro push mower and while I was at her house this morning she showed me the owner's manual that specifically states "Oil changes are not required". Eek There's not even a drain plug on it, so if you wanted to change the oil you have to tip if over.

I change mine every year in the spring.

I have a Murray mower that has no drain plug. I usually change the oil every 25 hours on all my mowers, water pumps, and lawn tractor. I even use Mobil 1 in my water pump since it will run longer on a full gas tank compared to dino oil.

But the Murray is a real pain to turn upside down with spilling.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your just mowing your grass at home once a year should be fine.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a gun shop I used to work at, for people shopping for their first pistol, we would ask if they changed the oil in their lawn mower. If they said no or had to think about it, we would recommend glock.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post