SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower? Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Does the original oil fill count as a change?

My craftsman push mower never had an oil change. it did get a new spark plug once. I got rid of it last year when the shaft bearings started to go. It was a great little mower for 18 years.

I do take better care of my more expensive stuff.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I change the oil in my ZT every season and use pure synthetic oil. Yes, I am a bit compulsive about it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Never. But my wife changes the oil and replaces the gas and air filters on our riding mower every spring.

I'm relegated to sharpening the blades.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Tractor gets done at the end of the season. Doubt I put more than fifty hours a year on it. 14 years later still runs great. Same for the snow blower. All top grade synthetic oil.

Seafoam the gas over the winter for the tractor.

I have a Craftsman self propelled mower that I use for trim areas and that's going on twenty plus years. Oil and filters changed in everything.

quote:
maybe even twice if you mulch a ton of leaves.

Why is that?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For my small engines:
  • I change the lawnmower at the start of every mowing season. I just use plain 'ole SAE 30 dino oil.
  • I use synthetic in my generator since it's going to run for a long time (having several quarts of motor oil on hand for hurricane season is something many people w/ generators forget).
  • When I lived in Alaska, I put 0W30 synthetic in my snowblower since it flowed faster and had a huge operating range. Changed it prior to snowblowing season.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of a Series
    of Accidents
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MNSIG:
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigwagon:
    There's oil in there?

Maybe not anymore! Razz

C'mon MNSIG! We live in the NORTH, the growing season for grass is about 10 days long.

It's the state of your snowblower you should be fretting about!

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have never.

Mower was like $225 w/ a Honda motor.

Will see how long it goes. Still working fine. Big Grin

----------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TooTech:It's the state of your snowblower you should be fretting about!

Actually, I never used my snowblower this winter. Pushed the snow a few feet away from the garage and plowed. We never had enough at one time to need the blower. (I love global warming!)

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by stickman428:
    I bought a self propelled Husqvarna mower with Honda engine about 4 years ago. It's probably time to change the oil. How often do you change the oil in your mower?

Based on the description and purchase date, I may have the same mower. I change the oil at the beginning of each mowing season. I followed the same routine with my previous mower and it lasted 15 years. Pretty good return on investment I believe.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Haveme1or2
    posted Hide Post
    If i was adding oil every other time I used it .... Hardly ever.
    If it doesn't use oil I watch the color and viscosity and change when it needs it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Giftedly Outspoken
    Picture of sigarms229
    posted Hide Post
    Every even numbered year so every 2 years.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You are supposed to change the oil ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    Seasonal changes don't work here it's always mowing season, I guess going from once every other week to weekly could be considered a season change.

Reminds me I need to change mine...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    I have a small yard and mow it maybe once a week, my lawnmower is 3 years old and the oil looks virtually new? Should I have it changed anyway? I'm taking it to my guy for sharpening and tune up this year.

YES, oil gets condensation in it from sitting as well as wear metals. Always best to change oil at least once a year, more often if you're doing a lot of hours.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    crazy heart
    Picture of mod29
    posted Hide Post
    Honda self-propelled commercial.
    Change oil every fall when I'm finished mowing for the season.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of vthoky
    posted Hide Post
    I put a brand new Briggs on my mower last year. Leaks like a sieve since day one.
    I figure changing its oil consists of pouring new in periodically, and cleaning the garage floor once a week. Frown

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Oldrider
    posted Hide Post
    It's an engine. It heats up, cools, suffer from condensation, fuel getting past the rings and breaking down into varnish & acid, crud accumulating and getting through the air filter. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. I can't help it; I'm a motorhead and whether it's my pushmower or my Harley it gets an oil change and general maintenance before I put them up for the year. Oil is cheap compared to repairs/replacement.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Kuisis
    posted Hide Post
    That's why I have older Lawn Boys. Never change oil.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    Amsoil full synth (yes they make a synth of small engines/lawn equipment) annually. I replace spark plug and air filter every 2-3 years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    Never. But mine's electric.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post