SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you change the oil in your lawnmower? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I bought a self propelled Husqvarna mower with Honda engine about 4 years ago. It's probably time to change the oil. How often do you change the oil in your mower?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Once a season, I take to shop and have them clean it up, change the oil, sharpen the blade and test it. It is worth every penny. To me it is like rotating the tires on the truck when the oil is changed.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Since I only mow once every other week (not more than 50 hours total for the season), I use full synthetic and annually works fine.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every year on the lawnmower.

I'll sometimes skip a year on the snowblower if it doesn't get much use, but the mower hours are pretty consistent.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Oh, you are supposed to change the oil? I think I have changed the oil in my riding mower once in 12-13 years.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Every spring

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
once a season

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Once a year. My new mower has a 500 hour change interval, but it will also get changed once a year. Otherwise I would be 10 years between changes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
4 years ago. It's probably time to change the oil.

Uh.. ya. Once a year.... maybe even twice if you mulch a ton of leaves.
I changed mine last week and it was black.
But it's easy to do and only takes 20 oz. of oil.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's oil in there?

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
There's oil in there?

Maybe not anymore! Razz

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a small yard and mow it maybe once a week, my lawnmower is 3 years old and the oil looks virtually new? Should I have it changed anyway? I'm taking it to my guy for sharpening and tune up this year.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Every 50 hours or annually whichever comes first.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a self-propelled Honda push mower. Oil gets changed every year, before the first mow. Air filter gets blown off every few months during mowing season, and replaced every year or two, once it gets too dirty. Spark plug is replaced every two years or so. Blades get sharpened every year, and replaced every 3 or so years, once they get too dinged up.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I have a small yard and mow it maybe once a week, my lawnmower is 3 years old and the oil looks virtually new? Should I have it changed anyway? I'm taking it to my guy for sharpening and tune up this year.

Yes, that should include changing the oil, air filter, and maybe spark plug.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Every year. Also seem to have to change the battery every year...

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
4 years ago. It's probably time to change the oil.

Uh.. ya. Once a year.... maybe even twice if you mulch a ton of leaves.
I changed mine last week and it was black.
But it's easy to do and only takes 20 oz. of oil.

Spring and fall for me. It only takes minutes to do it.

This thread reminds me I need new air filter. Oil was done this past Saturday.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Never, lol. I just top her off regularly.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the start of mowing season I will change the oil and filter. Every other year I take it to a local hardware place to have the blades sharpened.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I am at 9 years, but I am trying to kill this mower. One year ago it would puff a little smoke on start up so it gets a little oil added once a season.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post