SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida members - where to find sharks teeth?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida members - where to find sharks teeth? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'm currently in Orlando with my family, and one of my girls would love to find a shark tooth at the beach. Is there any place around Cocoa Beach / Daytona Beach where we could go to look for some?

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Real men don't find sharks teeth. Real men cut their leg, wade out into the ocean with a pair of dental extraction pliers, put a shark in a headlock with one arm, and use the other arm to yank out teeth until the wife and kids are content Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry guy, no where around Cocoa. The place to go is Venice, on the west coast. Maybe next trip for ya? Wink

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cocoa Beach and Jetty Park- It's been a longtime since I was there.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
On that note, I've gone to Venice 3 separate times looking for shark teeth, all without success; it's not a sure thing. I hear there are places off the Florida coast where you can scuba dive and stand a good chance of finding teeth but I've no idea where those are. Good luck!

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Huh. That's good info.
I do know some sharks digest their old teeth for the calcium.

Thinking outside the box, one could find shark teeth at a souvenir place and possibly salt the beach while their daughter is searching the same general area...you just need to escape alone for a bit to source them.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Caspersen Beach which is south of Venice on the Gulf Coast or the Peace River where it goes through Bone Valley. It's easy to find small teeth at Caspersen Beach you just need a Florida snow shovel. I've never not found at least a dozen teeth there. You'll find sting ray teeth and barbs as well. For the Peace River, I'd pay for a guided fossil tour. It's more work than Caspersen Beach, but you can find bigger teeth as well as mammal fossils.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Venice
Aristakat Charters

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Thinking outside the box, one could find shark teeth at a souvenir place and possibly salt the beach while their daughter is searching the same general area...you just need to escape alone for a bit to source them.

^^^^This is the trick^^^^

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
In a shark's mouth. Wink

I have also found them at beaches all over the Florida coast, both Atlantic and Gulf sides, as well as the Keys.

Any of the touristy shops at the beaches will have loads of them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
eBay. Razz

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Venice FL. Go in April for Shark Tooth festival. Around the pier is ok if you wade out. Use a scoop and screen. Go south and take ferry avross intercostal (state park, free) and beach there can produce. Kids have found partial Meg teeth, fossil sand tiger, tiger, bull, lemon, etc.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Nokomis beach

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Caspersen Beach which is south of Venice on the Gulf Coast or the Peace River where it goes through Bone Valley. It's easy to find small teeth at Caspersen Beach you just need a Florida snow shovel. I've never not found at least a dozen teeth there. You'll find sting ray teeth and barbs as well. For the Peace River, I'd pay for a guided fossil tour. It's more work than Caspersen Beach, but you can find bigger teeth as well as mammal fossils.

Short of buying teeth and placing them to be found the above are the only places I would tell you that you could be guaranteed to find teeth.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks everybody. Looks like we'll be hitting the souvenir shops Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Actually, one of the best places is in S. carolina. The shop I worked out of held trips there twice a year. But you have to hunt in black water for them.

http://www.fossilguy.com/trips...diving-trip-2013.htm

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I found many on the beach when visiting my grandparents in Naples, back in the 70s. Great memories beach-combing with my mom and grandma (both gone now). But buying a few at a souvenir shop makes a lot of sense. If the kids are young, you can put them in the sand, and they can "find them". They are not expensive.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Even in the 70s and 80s I always found more in S.C. than Florida.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
This won't help, but we found dozens in Destin and Navarre. We didn't see any in Daytona.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peace river has lots of them but you have to sift for them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post