SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Like the others have said, you would be better off making your own meals. Nutrisystem is garbage food and the shakes are garbage. The hardest part about proper dieting is having the will power. Without it, no matter what you do, you won't stick with it. Go to a gym and exercise there, as you are more apt to exercise after driving instead of getting equipment in your home, (if you are able). I bought a nice home gym for the wife as she would not go to the gym, and it turned into a clothes rack. For the most part, they are bad investments.

There are some trainers that can get you into a healthy diet and provide you with the basics with caloric intake and a good exercise regimen deigned for you. Some offer you decent pricing on their cost/time and you don't need them forever,(it is cheaper in the long run compared to Nutri-system). You might have to do your homework with the trainers. I usually ask are there any trainers that do fitness/bodybuilding competitions, as they are usually serious about your training, know what to look for and are a good representation of their field. They won't turn you into a freak but they live the lifestyle and can advise you of the difficulties. Get some books on healthy food choices and exercise programs as well. It helps if you have someone to train/eat with-spouse,friend,etc..

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The aetiology of obesity

https://youtu.be/5F5o0a4p_3U

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My brother did the Nutrisystem diet and it worked very well for him. He lost about 100 pounds and has kept it off for around 10 years now.

But he only did the Nutrisystem long enough to educate himself about proper portions and what foods to eat. He stopped buying their meals and started making his own copies using better, fresh ingredients. Then over time he started substituting sides and such for even healthier items.

The prepackaged meals were really what helped him the most. My brother was always too lazy to want to make a healthy meal every mealtime so he would grab something fast like sandwiches and chips. So one of the thing he started doing too was meal prep and that was a life changer. His wife and her sister are big into it and I know they used to get together on Sundays and make meals for the entire week. Now he can heat up a healthy meal in 5 minutes instead of grabbing junk food.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may also want to investigate the benefits of magnesium to help rebuild bone density. Specifically, bioavailable forms like Magnesium Glycanate.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I’ve lost 70 pounds by sticking with a low carb diet along with Pilates twice a week.

I will say that if I can do it, anyone can. You just have to make the decision to stick to it no matter what.

It’s all worth it based on how much better I feel.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
<SNIP>
Years ago I dealt with a nutritionist, who had it right. She outlined a "guide" that showed the number of calories per serving. Said to eat what I wanted, but not to excess.

This is what I plan to do, we meet with a nutritionist on 11/1 ... it seems like most people don't read what I've posted.

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
My brother did the Nutrisystem diet and it worked very well for him. He lost about 100 pounds and has kept it off for around 10 years now.

But he only did the Nutrisystem long enough to educate himself about proper portions and what foods to eat. He stopped buying their meals and started making his own copies using better, fresh ingredients. Then over time he started substituting sides and such for even healthier items.
This is my plan as well.

The prepackaged meals were really what helped him the most. My brother was always too lazy to want to make a healthy meal every mealtime so he would grab something fast like sandwiches and chips. So one of the thing he started doing too was meal prep and that was a life changer. His wife and her sister are big into it and I know they used to get together on Sundays and make meals for the entire week. Now he can heat up a healthy meal in 5 minutes instead of grabbing junk food.

I too am always in a hurry or too tired to make a meal ... plus my wife does most of the cooking. I hope that after we meet with the nutritionist she'll start cooking healthier or I we start eating separate meals.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The first thing you need is wantto.

<SNIP>

My wantto is in the first post ... its a very strong "want to" and got me through quitting smoking ... I'm doing this for my daughter and my wife. I want to be able to dance at my daughters wedding ... I didn't go into any more than that, but until then (and there is no wedding on the horizon). I don't want her to be embarrassed by me ... she doesn't say any thing but It's already bad enough when people think I'm her grandpa I'm 60 and her mom is 15 years younger. We met when she was 22 and I 37, and we clicked ... so part of me is doing it for my wife too she deserves to have a husband that can still enjoy life, even if she needs to loose a few pounds herself.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cut your sugar intake, watch your weight diminish

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on a keto style low carb diet since February and I'm down 95 pounds so far.

Drink water/unsweet tea/seltzer.

Eat salad, green vegetables, clean protein. Read up on the diet, it's pretty easy to stay on it once you get used to it.

I also do intermittent fasting where I only eat between 10:30am and 8:30pm.

I view both of these as an easy way to control calorie intake. Less time to eat throughout the days and less calorie dense food means less calories eaten.

The biggest thing is STICK WITH IT! Give yourself a solid 4 weeks of just gutting it out and once you get over the hill and in the habit of it, it's way easier.

Avoid cheat days! It's just an easy way to backslide. Giving up chocolate/bread/pasta etc is really not a huge deal right now for me, 9 months in. If I was eating it once a week or so, I would be absolutely miserable the other 6 days.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Giving up chocolate/bread/pasta etc is really not a huge deal right now for me, 9 months in. If I was eating it once a week or so, I would be absolutely miserable the other 6 days.

Agreed, I don't miss bread and pasta at all. For chocolate, we'll do 70% dark chocolate or dark chocolate covered almonds. Also "mug cakes" made with cocoa powder, egg, perhaps banana and a little honey.

There are really low carb tortillas out now. I sub "riced" cauliflower for rice and even the kids eat it. Just have to season it. I like spaghetti squash with a nice marinara and meat of choice etc.

"Fast Food" around the house is to grill up a steak and eat it with a big salad.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to a food app, get a digital scale to know exactly what you’re eating. You will know exactly where you stand on intake. As a bonus, you can play with your macronutrients to see what works for you.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Watch an episode of "My 600 Lb Life" on Hulu or YouTube.

Reflect on the level of excuse and denial people will make that causes them to stay fat. See this reflected in your own habits and fix it.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
1) Go to the farmers market
2) Buy a shit ton of natural, from the earth fruits and vegetables
3) Buy shit you have never tried before. Like bok choy and swiss chard
4) Find recipes for all that shit you just bought
5) Make food
6) Add a lean protein, like fish, chicken, turkey, hard boiled eggs.
7) You eat the food, you lose the weight
8) no fast food, no soda, no empty calories
9) drink water like your tonsils are on fire. Piss every hour.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I hear the Keto diet is good for what ails ya.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I've been on a keto style low carb diet since February and I'm down 95 pounds so far.

That's awesome, congrats.

I am 4 days into a low carb diet and I am dying. I know it gets better but the first two weeks are hell. I only want to lose about 10-15 lbs and this diet always works for me, so I will stick it out until Thanksgiving.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ I won't presume you're not familiar with the "keto flu" with so many doctors on YouTube discussing it. The good news is that if you feel like crap and even nauseous or not even hungry-then it's working.

Because you aren't consuming carbs and converting them to fat, you're utilizing stored fats. When you store fats you also store water and salt. Ketosis promotes natriuresis (elimination of salt). You should increase you salt intake (up to 3-5 grams) and lots of clean water. Magnesium also plays a part.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
<snip>

I am 4 days into a low carb diet and I am dying. I know it gets better but the first two weeks are hell. I only want to lose about 10-15 lbs and this diet always works for me, so I will stick it out until Thanksgiving.

I'm into the 3rd week (ends on the 21st) and should have lost 13-14 pounds ... The first week I lost 8 pounds and stuck to the diet exclusively. The second week we had lunch with some friends and I had 4 baby-back ribs and a few fries for lunch and skipped my afternoon snack ... So the calories were about a wash, I did kind of the same thing last night ... The little woman was having a McDonalds french-fry craving so we stopped for dinner consisting of 1 each McDouble with cheese and bacon and shared a medium fry, for my dinner and evening snack ... It was about 100 calories more than if I'd eaten a Nutrisystem diet.

The NutriSystem diet is actually just right for me ... I really don't taste food (maybe smoking for 33 years did that? I don't have much of a sense of smell either.) I don't have to think about what to eat, I set out my meals for the week on Sunday night (the frozen ones I do leave in the freezer). This is not to say there aren't things I don't care for ... but I eat them anyway.

I was in Walmart last week getting some Slim-Fast shakes for my morning snacks and I saw they were selling the NutriSystem Turbo box(the first week diet) for $44 ... I was seriously thinking about getting one for my 4th week.

We, the wife and I see a nutritionist on 11/1 and hopefully she'll get in line with the healthy diet, otherwise I'll stay on NutriSystem ... She's still going out to "excercise" with my daughters boyfriend's mom, and she's kind of dieting to go with it but I don't think she lost any weight as there's bags of mini Snickers, Twix & Kit Kats on the counter now, along with the Rice Krispie and Corn flakes treats she made last Sunday . Once in a while she does ask how my diet is going and I'll tell her how much I've lost and she doesn't say anything.

Anyway, </rambling>

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
JALLEN had it right, as usual, in his first sentince: "The first thing you need is wantto."

Let's understand some things (I have some knowledge about what I'm saying, so you'll have to take this on face value).

Diets rarely succeed. Why? You said so yourself, "I only 'want' to be doing this for 2-3 months if that long." That's your recipe for failure. You see, your mind is saying to itself, "Yeah, I'll do this for the short run, but when time's up, I'm going back to eating like shit."

My ex-wife once told me, "You're too vain to ever get fat." Now, she's tipping the scales at over 200 pounds, and I at 67, 5' 10" have weighed 146 - 153 pounds my entire adult life. How?

It starts with good genes. I picked my parents well, since neither of them had weight issues. I rarely step on the scales, as I'd rather have my clothes tell me how I'm doing. Belt a little tight? Time to 1) Pay more attention to what I eat, and 2) Get out and get exercising.

Despite having a hip and knee problem, I get out and walk 2-3 miles nearly every day. It gets my heart rate up and helps burn calories. Oh, I used to run, but the knee and hip put an end to that. But it doesn't mean I have to become a couch potato.

You see, I don't make excuses. I may have slowed down, and I may limp a bit, but my lifestyle has resulted in someone who takes no medications! No cholesterol taming, high blood pressure lowering, sleep-inducing, wake-up causing, urinating, snoring, ED or any other such stuff that doctors foist off on us to take the pain out of the office.

So here it is: Your "wantto" has to be a lifestyle choice. Sure, not everybody can be lean and mean, but there's no excuse for toting around 20, 40, 60 or 100 extra pounds. It's bad on your heart, your lungs, and your knees (did you know the primary cause for knee injuries is obesity?), your digestive system, and your state of mind. Want to eat pizza every day? Fine. But take countermeasures to what that will do to your body. It's pretty simple.

A lot of people here have given you good advice. But only you can take it to heart.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I only want to do NutriSystem for 2-3 months, and maybe you missed it but we’re going to a nutritionist on 11/1 ... at that point I hope to Change our diet to a way of life. I’ve already discovered I can live without all the junk food, and that when we go out to eat I don’t have to clean my plate ... I can get a to-go box ... my goal is to get back to a 36-38 waist and stay there ... I’m not vane but I want to walk my baby-daughter down the isle some day, and and dance at her reception .. hold grand-baby 11 ... all the stuff I’ve pictured myself doing in my golden years ... and I know I won’t be able to do it with this body.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Quick up date for anyone interested!

It's been 3 months since I started Nutrisystem and I've lost 30 pounds ... Should have been more but the last 2 weeks of December set me back about 3-4 pounds, on the up-side (if you could call it that)
Since mid December I had several meals that were not Nutrisystem meals, in fact I've still got about a weeks worth left.

Even though I put on 3-4 pounds my portions were/are considerably smaller, but the meals themselves were richer and not the normal fare I eat ...

I'm still not at my goal of 165, but I've only got 11 pounds to go.

The trick is keeping it off ... without eating Nutrisystem meals!

Stay tuned!