SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Look at Dr Berg's videos on Utube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+berg

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Portion control is especially important when you’re physically limited as to what you can do ... which is my case.

While it’s true, not everything tastes great, most seasonings & spices don’t add calories but eventually the selections do get old ... my biggest motivation was watching the pounds melt off while not being hungry.

The most important thing I think I’ve learned from NutriSystem is portion size/control ... I’ve been eating my wife’s cooking and we go to restaurants as well. When eating at home I eat about 1/4 what I used to ... I started out using a saucer instead of a dinner plate which was especially helpful when spaghetti or the like, when we go out I usually take half my meal home or my wife & I split a meal and sometimes we still have leftovers!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Portion control is especially important when you’re physically limited as to what you can do ...

I realize you wrote "especially," but I wanted to emphasize it's important even when you're not.

People really don't understand how many calories they're consuming and how much activity it takes to work them off.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Portion control is especially important when you’re physically limited as to what you can do ... which is my case.

Me too (trashed knees so no running for this guy), and I eat portions that make people comment and look at me sideways. No sugar, no alcohol, little to no salt, no processed carbs, no processed anything where I can get away with it. Lots of vegetables, lots of fruit, lots of lean protein. I eat all the time, whether snacking or having a meal. I eat ridiculous amounts of food now, and that’s to maintain weight at 190, and people are saying I look skinny or gaunt, and I do, but that last turn is from some serious medical issues. In the last year and a half, I’ve lost 200lbs. That’s 20 with an extra zero on it. No keto for me, it would actually kill me. I lost 160 through diet alone and the next 40 was from my job at a machine shop, working arbor and pneumatic presses, torqueing stuff, lots of walking. Moderate exercise with moderate weight at high reps, essentially, for ten hours at a whack.

It’s more about what you put in your body than how much of it, in my experience. What you do with the calories is part of it, yes, but not everything. For two weeks now, I’ve been recovering from hernia surgery. Lots of sitting around doing nothing, and eating stupid amounts of protein and vegetables, and my weight goes up two pounds, then down three, up two and down three.

I’ve hesitated stating on this forum how much weight I’ve lost, exactly, out of sheer embarrassment for how big I got. But fuck it, I’m proud I’ve come so far. I’m a 30” waist now. Not since highschool wrestling at 8% body fat have I been a 30” waist. I was a 50” something waist a year and a half ago.

If you look at it as fueling your body rather than needing to enjoy everything you eat, you can achieve results that nobody can argue with.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The problem with systems like Nutrisystem is that yes, they will make you lose weight as long as you stick with them, but after you've lost all the weight you want and go back to eating normal food, you tend to balloon up again.

They're not sustainable, in other words. Same as can be said for the surgery options.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

I’ve hesitated stating on this forum how much weight I’ve lost, exactly, out of sheer embarrassment for how big I got. But fuck it, I’m proud I’ve come so far.

I understand why you’ve hesitated, but damn man you should be proud. You’ve got a lot to be proud of. Hell I don’t know you outside of the forum, and I’m proud of you. That’s fantastic news!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don’t see any meal plan diet being sustainable. I’m doing keto and intermittent fasting (one meal a day). I’m not super strict but my cheats are still very low carb and just occasionally snacking at lunch on nuts or some eggs. I do worse on weekends with restaurants and drinking. But overall I can live with this lifestyle. Here are pics I posted in another thread. From February to now. Big difference.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I don’t see any meal plan diet being sustainable.

Ah, but there are at least two that are sustainable:

https://www.thehealthy.com/wei...%20the%20long%20term.

However, there are at least two diets that beat the odds: the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet. Allen says research has shown these diets are sustainable and help keep your heart healthy and lower your blood pressure in the long term. And rather than focusing on eating or avoiding any one type of macronutrient, the Mediterranean and the DASH diets are more about guidelines to help you make better overall food choices, according to Michelle Abbey, RDN.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that meal plans, even diets, are a temporary solution and afterwards you just say screw it and go back to where you were.

First we all have to know what our weaknesses are......desserts.....over-eating etc.

Carbs are the real killer in empty calories and adding a lot of weight. For example, you can eat a pint of Haagan Daz and 1200-1400 calories or an entire rack of ribs or a 16 ounce ribeye. Much easier to do a pint of haagan daz after dinner on a regular basis. But a 10 ounce Filet Mignon is only 400 calories instead of the ribeye. A couple of greek yogurts with fruit is 300-400 calories instead of the haagan daz. But protein fills you up and doesn't pack the calories carbs do. I'm not saying cut out all carbs. The trick is, to swap an unhealthy craving for something that's not so bad. Limit the amount of bread, pasta, etc and things of that nature.....add in more fresh veggies to those meals instead..... Basically looking at your diet and switching for the slightly healthier option without drastically changing your diet. I've found everyone has the same patterns......so try to keep with the pattern but go healthier with as much as you can bear without getting tired of the changes......

The other thing is it's ok to splurge on an ice cream or a ribeye once in a while, but don't buy them and keep them in the house, make it so you have to go to dairy queen or a restaurant to get them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You gotta look at it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Otherwise, you're set up for failure. It's not "I'm not eating sugar because I'm on a diet," it's "I don't eat sugar, period."

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I understand why you’ve hesitated, but damn man you should be proud. You’ve got a lot to be proud of. Hell I don’t know you outside of the forum, and I’m proud of you. That’s fantastic news!

Thank you, sir. Big Grin

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I don’t see any meal plan diet being sustainable.

Ah, but there are at least two that are sustainable:

https://www.thehealthy.com/wei...%20the%20long%20term.

However, there are at least two diets that beat the odds: the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet. Allen says research has shown these diets are sustainable and help keep your heart healthy and lower your blood pressure in the long term. And rather than focusing on eating or avoiding any one type of macronutrient, the Mediterranean and the DASH diets are more about guidelines to help you make better overall food choices, according to Michelle Abbey, RDN.

You misunderstood. I should have said “meal replacement plan”. Meaning nutri system, Jenny Craig, anything that sells you a tv dinner and says it will work long term.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is considering Nutrisystem, and is a Costco member, you may be able to save money on the program by buying the food plan in your local Costco. My wife and I saved quite a bit doing it this way.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Since February? Nice work, Frayedends. Stick with it, man.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I simply built a daily lifestyle where I only eat lean meats, nuts, lots of veggies, limited fruit, and avoid breads and sugar.
I also pick up heavy shit and put it down for about 45 minutes every weekday.
Easy to adhere to and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post