SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried the Nutrisystem diet? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
I've never been one to buy into diets, but the truth is I'm 50 pounds over weight ... My uncle sent me a coupon for $298 for 4 weeks of food which is about $200 off the regular price I started the program yesterday ... Any success stories out there?

I've got COPD, Asthma & rumitoid arthritus in my hands hips & knees and every time the weather changes it flares up. The Doc said I'm looking at having my left knee replaced in 2 years or less but loosing the extra 50 pounds I'm carrying around will improve every aspect of my life.

I really want to dance with my daughter at her wedding ... There isn't one on the horizon, but I want to be in shape for when it does!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My dad has been on it. My problem with it is that it is not real food. It is highly processed and full of unnatural ingredients. And the nature of the system is that you can ONLY eat those "foods" so your diet is entirely devoid of fresh, natural products.

The best diet is to eat basic foods - lean proteins, vegetables, fruits and whole grains - prepared simply.

I would highly recommend a consultation with a nutritionist or dietician to get started.

And of course exercise.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

The best diet is to eat basic foods - lean proteins, vegetables, fruits and whole grains - prepared simply.

I would highly recommend a consultation with a nutritionist or dietician to get started.

And of course exercise.

This of course is the right answer. I would highly recommend making an appointment with a good nutritionist who will target your needs specifically. He or she will actually give you a shopping list for the week and recommend meals. Once you establish a baseline about what foods you like and what works over the course of a month or two, you can keep those shopping lists and menus and simply reuse them or reinvent them indefinitely.

Go with a nutritionist and eat real food and forget those tv diets.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
My wife had us try it for two months. "Great food" - only if you have completely lost your sense of taste and smell.

I would rather French-kiss a water buffalo than have another Nutrisystem meal.

Save your money, stock up and eat the free Priority boxes that you get at the post office. They are free and will probably taste better.

ChicagoSigMan and Balzé Halzé nailed it.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That’s a bunch of money. And very processed, like they said.

I’ve been doing the ketogenic lifestyle now for several months. I’m down 41 pounds. I’m not hungry, I don’t eat processed stuff, and it’s easily maintainabile. Cutting out sugar has some undeniable benefits.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The first thing you need is wantto. Figure out how much you think you need, and multiply that by pi. Apply liberally and often, as needed. Refills as needed.

Unless you are a lumberjack, stop eating like one.

It took quite a while to get that far over weight. Don’t be discouraged if it all doesn’t come off in a month or two.

No booze. Worthless calories and corrosive to wantto. At least while you are trying to lose. Hopefully, with COPD, you don’t smoke.

Find a diet plan that gives you foods you like, at least some of them. There is no chicken fried steak diet, I can assure you. There is no point in the water crest and cucumber with beets diet if you hate that stuff, either.

Coordinate with your doctor. I loved grapefruit and toast for breakfast but grapefruit is bad if you take statins.

I’m down nearly 80 lbs as of this morning, ~30 lbs in the last 5 years.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Everytime I hear their commercials, I think "Nutriasystems."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it once years ago. They basically send you a tiny frozen meal which you still have to supplement with fresh fruits and veggies. You could get just the same eating a lean cuisine or smart one frozen meal with a salad.

There is nothing special about it. Its just portion control and reduced calories.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can lose weight on any "diet." You could make a dart board with a different type "diet" label in each section and just throw a dart. Follow whatever it lands on and you can lose lots of weight.

However, statistically speaking, one year later you will have gained it all back plus a little more. It isn't like you reach a target weight and then just magically stay that way. Unless you change the underlying mindset/mental side of things (the biggest factor) along with a change in long-term eating and exercise habits, why would anyone expect long-term change?

These "Nutrisystem" type diets are the worst IMHO. You just order and eat their food. Even if it is the bestest food on the planet, by eating what just comes in a box, you learn nothing about nutrition and how to eat properly. Do you eat it for the rest of your life? If not, how would the weight possibly stay off?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your comments and insights ... I would have started with more detail but I didn't want to start the post with a book ... one of my objectives with this plan is to re-learn what and how much to eat. I only "want" to be doing this for 2-3 months if that long.

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
<SNIP>
This would be great but my wife is offended enough that I'm doing Nutrisystem because it implies we don't eat healthy ... she could also stand to loose 40 pounds(by her own admission) but her battle with weight control is a whole other story.

We have an appointment but we can't get in until November.

And of course exercise.
This is a big one I'm struggling with ... I look back over the last couple years and see my activity decline because of pain in my hands, knees and hips. I've mentioned in other posts that I've got osteoporosis and can't shoot anything with 308 recoil like my HK91, SiG SSG which I've recently re-barreled to 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm rebuilding my bone density under the care of Mayo Clinic, I take high doses of calcium, D3 and daily injections of Forteo to hopefully get back closer to normal.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
<SNIP>
He or she will actually give you a shopping list for the week and recommend meals. Once you establish a baseline about what foods you like and what works over the course of a month or two, you can keep those shopping lists and menus and simply reuse them or reinvent them indefinitely.
This is what I hope to get across to my wife when we see the nutritionist and we can eat as a family ...
<SNIP>

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
That’s a bunch of money. And very processed, like they said.
If you count all the junk food we buy, $300 a month for one person isn't bad ... if you don't count the junk food, maybe. Healthy food isn't cheap either.

<SNIP>
Cutting out sugar has some undeniable benefits.
Sweets are my biggest weakness and I want to get under control ... the problem is this huge candy bowl we have sitting on the kitchen counter ... along with cookies and other suger packed stuff ... I just have to resist it. Even though my wife knows I'm going on this diet she made a big batch of choclate chip cookies on Friday ... sometimes I wonder if she is subconsciously trying to undermine my success in weight loss.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
<SNIP>

It took quite a while to get that far over weight. Don’t be discouraged if it all doesn’t come off in a month or two.
I won't ... I know these tv diet results are exceptional, but I do want to get down before we see the nutritionist.

No booze. Worthless calories and corrosive to wantto. At least while you are trying to lose. Hopefully, with COPD, you don’t smoke.
I quit drinking 25 years ago and quit smoking 18 years ago ... it took me a while but I figured out they are self destructive vice's that do nothing constructive for you.

Find a diet plan that gives you foods you like, at least some of them. There is no chicken fried steak diet, I can assure you.
DAMBIT!

Coordinate with your doctor. I loved grapefruit and toast for breakfast but grapefruit is bad if you take statins.
I like grapefruit too but I've been on statins for hypothyroidism for years, they only say grapefruit but I've had heart palpations and sweats from oranges too so I avoid all citrus.

Thats awesome!

I've come to the conclusion that keeping my weight in line isn't going to be as easy as when I quit drinking and smoking ... with those you just not do it ... you have to eat so you can't "just say no"

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
You can lose weight on any "diet." You could make a dart board with a different type "diet" label in each section and just throw a dart. Follow whatever it lands on and you can lose lots of weight.
true, but this is the one I've chosen to start with

However, statistically speaking, one year later you will have gained it all back plus a little more. It isn't like you reach a target weight and then just magically stay that way. Unless you change the underlying mindset/mental side of things (the biggest factor) along with a change in long-term eating and exercise habits, why would anyone expect long-term change?

These "Nutrisystem" type diets are the worst IMHO. You just order and eat their food. Even if it is the bestest food on the planet, by eating what just comes in a box, you learn nothing about nutrition and how to eat properly. Do you eat it for the rest of your life? If not, how would the weight possibly stay off?
This is where the relearning comes in ... and hopefully my wife will join me in eating better through the guidence of the nutricianist, I don't except this to be the end of the rainbow.

posted Hide Post
with all that other crap going on , I'd ask a kidney doctor and ! a liver doctor to get a function test done.
prior to starting any special diet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I think your biggest problem is going to be with your wife.

Of course you aren't eating "healthy" at 50 and 40lbs overweight respectively. Candy and cookies etc. Heck, even if the foods were technically "healthy" then you are over-eating them. Sounds like she takes it personally that you are going on a diet, an insult to her cooking. Not to mention feeling judged and on the spotlight herself, she knows she isn't healthy but isn't in a place to change it yet like you are.

I'd have a talk with her. Let her know this is about you and choices you want to make for your health, to be with her longer etc. Thank her for all the great meals over the years and let her know you love her just the way she is and you aren't expecting her to change anything. Ask her for support and let her know what kind of support you need.

There is no way you can do this long term with her sub-conscious (or even conscious) sabotage efforts. If she feels comfortable and not judged at all, perhaps she'll at least be neutral which is probably enough.

I got real lucky, when I decided for myself to eat healthier, my wife got bad news of high cholesterol at the same time and joined me for the ride.

She is now below her college and wedding weight and no longer plagued by GI issues that have troubled her her whole life.

I think the "perfect" is the enemy of the "good." We don't eat "perfect" but on balance we are eating way better than before. If we were eating 80% crap and 20% healthy items before, we have probably inverted that ratio now.

Fresh and healthy food isn't necessarily more expensive either. Cost per unit is higher, but you will be eating less of it and getting way more nutritional value out of those foods and thus being more satisfied. Especially healthy fats and protein...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am far from an expert, and still 20 lbs overweight, but a couple of thoughts ....

1. With your doctor's permission, EXERCISE. The trainers at the gym I go to (keeping in mind they are selling their exercise services) readily admit losing weight / being healthy is at least 80% the food you eat and 20% exercise / burning calories. For me, the biggest benefit from the exercise is that I FEEL BETTER about myself and therefore WANT to eat better. Probably the endorphins. I actually enjoy going to the gym. Join a group class if you think it will help.
2. Eating right means accountability to yourself. I use an app on my phone by UnderArmor called MyFitnessPal. It helps you track what you eat - calories, fat, carbs, protein. And set goals. If you religiously log the food you eat you'll be surprised how fast those cookies / junk food add up.
3. I agree with what everyone else said about eating lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, etc. No need to repeat it (although I just did). Smile

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I tried it around a decade ago. Redleg has it right. Absolutely disgusting, unpalatable, processed crap. Neither my stomach nor bathroom could handle it. I returned the "box" for a refund.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've tried it twice. Both times I could not finish the first month because the "food" was so bad.

The second time I thought would be better since they now have frozen selections. It still sucked.

Weight Watchers is much better.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Fasting is free. However, to get to the point where you only feel hungry once or twice a day takes time. Imo, inflammation is a bigger worry than your weight although they are related. Low carb healthy fat, keto, paleo, whatever you want to call it basically eliminates all the crap food from your diet. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them.

I'm coming up on 1 year of clean eating. Almost no gains or pasta. Very little fruit except for seasonal berries. My asthma symptoms have lowered to below that of even when I was on advair and only 2 inhalers in the year when they prescribed monthly.

Finally, exercising to lose weight is mostly a myth. You lose the weight and THEN you exercise.

My latest addition has wonderful recipes and with YouTube there are as many folks discussing the science how how sugar/carbs are simply not necessary and are toxic is the amounts we are consuming.

Best of luck to you on your journey. And stay out of those middle aisles in the grocery store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...p_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
When it comes to diets, there are tons of opinions out there. Permit me to express mine.
It’s too easy to over eat the wrong foods. Jeff Novick’s explanation of the “calorie density” of different foods made sense to me. Link
Just watching what I eat so that I feel full after a meal helps stave off the after meal hunger. I’m using an Instant Pot and eating more beans, corn, barley, pasta and veggies. I eat until I’ve reached satiety withand any between meal snack is a few baby carrots or an apple.
I posted it here that I was thinking about trying this approach. Since then my average blood sugar has dropped about 90 points, my cholesterol has dropped 40 points and I’ve lost 21 lbs. without requiring me to have iron willed self control. Check out this thing called a Whole Food Plant Based Diet. I had to adjust my life style some, but it is worth it. I’m all in on this one. YMMV

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The first thing you need is wantto. Figure out how much you think you need, and multiply that by pi. Apply liberally and often, as needed. Refills as needed.

Unless you are a lumberjack, stop eating like one.

Find a diet plan that gives you foods you like, at least some of them. There is no chicken fried steak diet, I can assure you. There is no point in the water crest and cucumber with beets diet if you hate that stuff, either.

I agree with all of this whole heartedly. BUT, I suggest instead of going on a diet, start switching your regular diet to healthier foods. Carbs seem to be the easiest way for the pounds to stack on. If you have a sweet tooth, switch to low fat flavored yogurts instead of ice cream, flavored oatmeals instead of candy, things of that nature, indulge a little but with healthier options. I agree with eating less carbs. I don't agree with the low carb/high fat diets as humans have been living longer and longer as time went on. You need carbs, but whole grain and not processed ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what all those "diet" sellers indicate, there is only one way to lose weight!

Consume fewer calories than your body burns!

Healthy selection of food items, count the calories!

Exercise helps lose weight because it burns calories. But only if you burn more calories than you consume.

Choose what foods you like, determine the number of calories per serving. Eat what you like, just smaller servings!

Years ago I dealt with a nutritionist, who had it right. She outlined a "guide" that showed the number of calories per serving. Said to eat what I wanted, but not to excess.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post