SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We lost an Icon of America 40 years ago yesterday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We lost an Icon of America 40 years ago yesterday. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Interesting related place:
Mercury, Nevada.
For those of you with Google Earth, a tour of the test site and Mercury is fascinating.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I could do a convincing “How ya doing,... pilgrim.”

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up to all you Fans of The Duke. It must be John Wayne War Movies day on Turner Classic Movies. Flying Leathernecks is on right now, followed by Operation Pacific, then one of my Top 5 favorites of The Duke, Sands of Iwo Jima at 8:00 EDT. It's not a John Wayne movie but still a good view, Tora! Tora! Tora! comes on after that. I've got my afternoon and evening activities set now!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Wayne's birthplace, Winterset, Iowa
This is the Place

Outside the Wayne Museum on Wayne Blvd.
Wayne Surveys his Street

Wayne Museum - Winterset, Iowa

This is the Place!

Maureen O'Hara at the dedication of the museum
Maureen ~ 1920-2015

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing against the man, but was never a fan. I liked the ones with Dean Martin well enough, but that's about it. Died 6 years before I was born, so it may be a generational thing too.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing against the man, but was never a fan. I liked the ones with Dean Martin well enough, but that's about it. Died 6 years before I was born, so it may be a generational thing too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You would like Elton John Westerns I think. BTW it is generally considered bad form and impolite to critcize a thread that is essentially a tribute to an American icon. Maybe it is a generational thing.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post