SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cougar attack thwarted by teen with bow and arrow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cougar attack thwarted by teen with bow and arrow Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ear-old-brother.html

With the threads on bear attacks, this story fits right in. Youthful courage, presence of mind, fighting with what you have, and getting home alive!

Glad a predatory cougar is dead, but with the elk calls being used, I'm thinking that the situation was possibly caused by that activity. If the cougar wanted to eat an elk, then happened upon a smaller prey (the boy), it would certainly shift targets.

Interesting also that a .223 low weight high velocity round succeeded. Probably multiple hits.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting also that a .223 low weight high velocity round succeeded. Probably multiple hits

Not surprised at all- .223 would be plenty effective on a cat that size.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a fair number of these Mtn Lion attacks out West. A regulated hunting season would help keeping them honest and reduce the bold ones.

I realize this instance was while the hunter was elk calling.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Interesting also that a .223 low weight high velocity round succeeded. Probably multiple hits

Not surprised at all- .223 would be plenty effective on a cat that size.

Of course it would. Despite decades of ignorant myths to the contrary, bullets from the 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO cartridges can cause massive body damage if not neutered by being fired from pistol-length barrels.*

And the reason for the increase of attacks like this should be obvious to anyone who is familiar with the history of interactions between large predators and people. At one time even sightings of such animals were extremely rare in their ranges. Why? Because of heavy hunting pressures. I don’t believe that animals should be hunted to extinction, but human beings are just as much “natural” inhabitants of the planet as any other creature, and just as we should learn to get along with the other inhabitants without destroying our world, they should learn to get along with us. Even with their limited intellects and instincts they used to know how to do that in this country. One of the things I find odd is that some of the same people who believe (rightly) that we shouldn’t be held prisoners in our own homes by human predators don’t hesitate to tell us that we should avoid activities that might “encroach” on other predators’ ranges.

* There are internet photos of such wounds and a book that unusually discusses their effects in some detail is Sniper by Horwitz and Ruane about the killers who shot people at random in the Washington, DC, area in 2002.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Don't teach young boys the dangers of cougars, teach cougars not to go after young boys.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just don't read the comments in that article. Good God. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out. That girl had great situational awareness and courage.

However, it was a mistake for the boy to turn his back on the cat and run (not trying to criticize; just trying to point out good safety procedures). This is the best possible way to trigger an attack with nearly any predator (running from a predator often triggers a predator/prey response even if they weren't going to attack in the first place). Also, most big cats attack prey when the prey's backs are turned to them. There are quite a few videos out there of big cats in cages trying to attack their captors when the people turn their backs.

Good on them, though. Without that weapon, they both could have been killed.

I also don't find it surprising that a .223/556 would be effective on a cougar. It's all about shot placement. Even a .22LR could have killed it with proper placement (though I wouldn't recommend it).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I DID like the one about how to stop a cougar: take away her credit cards. . . Cool

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
This is the best ‘daughter and archery’ story yet.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I read a few of those comments. My God! The level of stupid grows exponentially every month!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
This is the best ‘daughter and archery’ story yet.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
There is a hunting season on Cougars in Washinton state, although hunting them with hounds was banned a long time ago. I hunter deer and elk there for 8 years and never saw a cougar. I did get one on trail camera and saw signs but never saw one in person. They are there, just very stealthy creatures. The girl got lucky seeing it before it pounced on the little brother.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome story

very decisive action

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post