SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The difficulty of getting a vehicle shipped during COVID times
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The difficulty of getting a vehicle shipped during COVID times Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I've been in 18 years but was enlisted for eight years before I commisioned. I pin Major next year, but I'm an instructor and work in a small group with only a few other officers. I don't have a lot of connections on this base beyond acquaintances and I would not feel comfortable asking those guys if they can have their spouse get my vehicle. I'm kind of stuck here.

Dude! I can empathise.

Trying to spit ball a few ideas.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is the Miata drivable (I realize you can tow with your jeep, but...)?

If I weren't on the left coast, I'd be up for an adventure Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Miata is completely driveable but not registered yet. The car has all new gaskets, hoses, fluids, spark plugs and wires, radiator, timing belt, accessory belts, battery, disc brakes and pads, coilovers, wheels, tires, convertible top, stereo, lights and bulbs all around, and has been repainted. This car is turnkey as far as it's condition.

You guys are awesome to even consider wanting to help, I do truly appreciate it. For those members in Florida I'd rather you guys stayed safe right now with the hurricane coming in.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
With a curb weight of 2400 pounds, most people with a standard full-size pickup truck could tow the car wheels up with a U-Haul 2210 pound "auto transport rental". And their tow dolly is only 750 pounds.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a perfect world you could call a rental truck company,
U-haul or Penske, in winter garden,Fla.

Ask them if they had any trucks or car trailers coming your way, in the next few weeks.

The seller could get it to the rental place,
They could put it in a truck or on a trailer and bring it up close to you ,for $250.00,

Or

Call the Wintergarden v.f.w. or American Legion,
Tell them your predicamint,

I bet they would find a way to git'er done, easy peasey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My sister and BIL just dropped their daughter in St. Augustine FL yesterday and will be driving back to St Louis soon.

I just looked it up and Winterpark is 1-3/4 hours south of St. Augustine.

Is your location in Georgia anywhere near the route they would take to get back home to St. Louis?

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Look up member CMRO76 on his profile here on SigForum and shoot him an email asking him if he can help.

IIRC he is in the exotic car business and has contacts all over to get cars shipped.

Worth a try.

If you can't find his profile, email me. I don't want to publish his email on the public pages here in the open.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My sister and BIL just dropped their daughter in St. Augustine FL yesterday and will be driving back to St Louis soon.

I just looked it up and Winterpark is 1-3/4 hours south of St. Augustine.

Is your location in Georgia anywhere near the route they would take to get back home to St. Louis?

Their route home will take them a few hours west of me, but with Winter Garden being that far south that would add quite a bit of extra driving to their route. There is no way I could ever ask someone to go that far out of their way for me. Thank you for the suggestion though.

OKCGene, I will send him an email, thanks for the suggestion.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Where I live we have lots of Hot Shot Delivery Services, due to the oil fields. Most of those are sitting on their butts at home at this time.

Usually, most of the Hot Shot services are a guy with one or more 1 ton pickups with a trailer. As their name implies, they have to be ready to roll at a moments notice and go pickup up and deliver something that is usually an urgent or ASAP situation.

I googled Hot Shot Delivery Services in Winter Park FL and got quite a few hits.

I'll bet most of those have little business right now due to the covid financial impacts.

You might try contacting some of those and see what they say.

You'll get some trying to get a "home run" price that is just too expensive for what you need because they need the money. You'll also get some that will do the job very reasonably because they have bills to pay too.

Really, all you need is a guy with a pickup and flat bed trailer with ramps.

A guy with a pickup could even go to UHaul and rent a car hauler trailer and do the job for you.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how it all worked out and how you got it done, we're all curious.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You either have to be patient with the amount you are offering, wait for a truck that happens to be going your way and has the hauling space open or up the amount you are paying. Simple supply and demand.

I sent a van to VA the other day for .50 a mile, had it listed for five minutes. I have had an OK run listed for a week at .70 a mile. I didn't get a bite until I upped it to .85 a mile. I would have waited for someone to pick up the job at a reasonable rate but, I have a client to please that doesn't give a crap about why it's not being delivered

BTW, the site I use, Central Dispatch is for dealers only. If you still need help next week, I have a posse of old guys that would probably do it for you. They would need to be paid hourly from mid GA to pick up and back to mid GA, plus gas. Let me know and I'll ask them. Should run about $300ish plus gas for the Miata and chase vehicle

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That front fender looks a bit wonky, what kind of shape are you expecting it to be in?

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm expecting it to be in decent shape for a 28 year old car and driveable. The seller showed me the entire vehicle on a FaceTime call and I didn't see anything to scare me away. It might be that the picture quality isn't that great, or maybe I'm just unaware but it looks fine to me.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've now been waiting over a week after contacting a transport broker and still don't have this car. I'm paying almost $500 to ship a little car 300 miles and yet no one wants to pick up the contract. Apparently they are short on drivers and long on customers trying to ship right now.

Patience, Iago!

Someone will pick that up. Email sent.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After waiting 11 days to get the attention of a driver, my little car is coming tomorrow morning. Though I had already raised my offered amount three times, I ended up having to add another $160 to make it happen. For the low price of $660 my car is coming to me from 420 miles away in a single vehicle enclosed trailer.