SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The difficulty of getting a vehicle shipped during COVID times
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The difficulty of getting a vehicle shipped during COVID times Login/Join 
posted
COVID boredom led me to perusing eBay and buying a 28 year old Miata with 43k miles and a ton of new parts and refreshing. I'm only six hours from the vehicle (I'm in Georgia, the car is in Florida), but I'm not allowed to travel more than 150 miles from my duty station du to the current military restrictions in place right now.

I've now been waiting over a week after contacting a transport broker and still don't have this car. I'm paying almost $500 to ship a little car 300 miles and yet no one wants to pick up the contract. Apparently they are short on drivers and long on customers trying to ship right now.

Definitely frustrating, I've got a stack of new parts I want to put in that car. Anyone have any advice or a contact in the shipping industry?

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
SigForum relay delivery? Fuel covered for the drivers.
If were on the route, I'd be up to participating.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish the logistics were better ... I recently retired and am in the mood for a road trip, but live in Idaho. Smile

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd gladly pay a fellow forum member to bring it out. My Grand Cherokee has a V8 that could easily tow it back, too bad a nice two star general ordered all of us at Fort Gordon to limit movement to 150 miles from post for the foreseeable future. It could be worse though, we were limited to only 30 miles of travel range for the first few months of COVID.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd gladly pay a fellow forum member to bring it out. My Grand Cherokee has a V8 that could easily tow it back, too bad a nice two star general ordered all of us at Fort Gordon to limit movement to 150 miles from post for the foreseeable future

^^^^^^^^^^^
The military members here are pretty much restricted. They are out looking for guys with high and tight haircuts. I am confident you will find someone on the Forum. I hope that your vehicle is on the West Coast of Florida.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hire somebody's non-military spouse in your command to retrieve the vehicle for you. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The vehicle is in Winter Garden, FL. As for spouses, the only guys I work with are field grade officers and brand new LTs. No one's wife is going to want to drive to pick up a vehicle for me.

posted Hide Post
That is Vtail country. Offer him a case of toilet paper and Claussen garlic pickles.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can get the toilet paper, it's the pickled that are hard to find right now.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
The vehicle is in Winter Garden, FL. As for spouses, the only guys I work with are field grade officers and brand new LTs. No one's wife is going to want to drive to pick up a vehicle for me.

No females married to a man?

If you're in the Army (I'm retired Navy BTW), what about a senior enlisted (or responsible E-6) with a man spouse and nice truck, who can do it? $250 after expenses ain't a bad gig for a day's work.

Call it "esprit de corps" (or whatever that is they used when my son was at Schofield Barracks)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the enlisted I know on post are restricted with travel the same as I am. We are all stuck with a short travel radius from post.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
All the enlisted I know on post are restricted with travel the same as I am. We are all stuck with a short travel radius from post.

Your spouses aren't though. Wink

posted Hide Post
I only work with one woman though, and her husband is Army too.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only work with one woman though, and her husband is Army too.

Hmmmm, no other compares in another command who has someone inn their command? (Sounds lie you're a JO, that will limit your connections although, those connections might be more responsible ("might" being the operative word here).)

posted Hide Post
I've been in 18 years but was enlisted for eight years before I commisioned. I pin Major next year, but I'm an instructor and work in a small group with only a few other officers. I don't have a lot of connections on this base beyond acquaintances and I would not feel comfortable asking those guys if they can have their spouse get my vehicle. I'm kind of stuck here.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it were a month earlier I would’ve been able to do it but I just moved out of Orlando.

This Covid shit is getting out of hand. Can’t even buy a bicycle because bastards decided that they want to do outdoor activities now.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Which broker are you using? My son recently shipped a car from Raleigh to Sacramento with Sherpa and they were pretty responsive and the driver worked a lot in southern states. Good luck!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using Mercury Auto, I am not pleased with them so far. They sent me an initial quote which I agreed to and then immediately followed it up with a call stating that I really needed to pay a higher amount if I wanted to get my car shipped. It was disingenuous and a clear bait and switch. I've upped my amount a few times now but this broker just sends me a text each day stating that I am next in line and I should expect a call at any time day or night.

If I could travel myself I would have picked this car up last week. As it is the seller is being gracious to store it for me but I can tell he is getting tired of having my car in his garage.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

That is Vtail country. Offer him a case of toilet paper and Claussen garlic pickles.
Yeah, Winter Garden is not far. I occasionally meet ArtieS there for lunch; he also lives near there.

I would be delighted to do this and help a forum member, but it is a tight squeeze for me in the passenger seat of a Miata, with no pedals and no steering wheel to get in the way.

Absolutely no way that I could fold my 36 1/2" inseam legs into the driver side. You need somebody significantly shorter than I am, to do this.

My personal vehicle doesn't even have a hitch, so renting a trailer won't work for me.

Thinking about this, it would not even be necessary to deliver it all the way to PossibleZombie's location. Just somebody would need to get it within 150 miles of him.

I wish I could help. I would, if I were able to.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Big Grin
You had me me all the way up to Miata,
Big Grin

I am 6'4" , 375 lbs +

Big Grin

We'd need a surgeon, as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post