SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for gift- book about the US Marine Corps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for gift- book about the US Marine Corps Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I want to give a friend, a Marine, a book about the Marine Corps. What are your favorites? Doesn't have to be about conflicts. It can be mainly about the Corps. Thanks

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I asked a friend who is a Marine. He said "Flags of Our Fathers by Bradley would be my first suggestion. Then maybe 'Making the Corps'".

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
I have this one:

Link

Highly recommended.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 670 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the "Death From Afar" series by Col. Norm Chandler. They are great history books of the evolution of the Marine Corps Scout/Sniper Program. They mainly deal with the historical perspective of training, gear development, and conflicts. They aren't the typical "Look at me, I was a H.O.G., brah" type books.

I do not think they are available in soft back, only in the original hard cover.

https://www.abebooks.com/first...ntation/621442300/bd

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Hammer. I reread the book periodically to remind myself about "Rough men" who stood ready in the South Pacific.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"Once A Marine" by Nick popaditch.

https://www.amazon.com/Once-Ma...covery/dp/1611211441

Gunny Pop was an old school hard core tanker. Instead of a pupil his glass eye has an EGA.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
About a year or 2 ago Costco had these great coffee table books about each branch of the military. Do not know if still there but worth checking out.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Hammer. I reread the book periodically to remind myself about "Rough men" who stood ready in the South Pacific.

^^^^^+2
I've read "With the Old Breed" multiple times. Visiting the sites brought some of the blunter passages gut wrenching physicality.

Beneath the Battle of Okinawa

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Costco in San Diego had a couple of books (coffee table type). The books are histories of the US Navy and US Marines in San Diego. (I bought the Navy one.)

I also read a book about Betio Island in the Tarawa Atoll. It was written by a Marine and describes what lead up to the battle (first amphib assault), what happened during those three days, and how it impacted future amphib assaults to include D-Day and Guadalcanal. I'll look for the title.

Update: I think this is the book: "Hell of a Way to Die: Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943"

Read it on my first cruise aboard the Tarawa.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an interesting topic.

My favorite USMC books (even though I am an Army dog)

Marine Sniper by Carlos Hathcock

One Tough Marine by Donald Hamblen

Mustang: A Combat Marine by Averill, Gerald P

Colder than Hell: A Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir

Any of the books both fiction and nonfiction by Johnny M. Clark

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
A follow-up is: We were one by Patrick O'Donnell

It's a story about Fallujah.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
"With the Old Breed" Eugene Sledge, he wrote of his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa.

I've read it more than once and finally bought a copy.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I would suggest 'Marine: The Life of Chesty Puller'.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-...=8-2&keywords=chesty

EDIT: Sorry Para, I didn't read your post closely enough. Great book though.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great book about the Marine Corps and Afghanistan is the book by Bing West called
One Million Steps: A Marine Platoon at War.

I read it in two days. I was in Helmand for three months before I rotated back to Kandahar. It really opened my eyes to the Helmand Province area, and what the Marine Corps were up against.

Battalion 3/5 suffered the highest number of casualties in the war in Afghanistan. This is the story of one platoon in that distinguished battalion.

Aware of U.S. plans to withdraw from the country, knowing their efforts were only a footprint in the sand, the fifty Marines of 3rd Platoon fought in Sangin, the most dangerous district in all of Afghanistan. So heavy were the casualties that the Secretary of Defense offered to pull the Marines out. Instead, they pushed forward. Each Marine in 3rd Platoon patrolled two and a half miles a day for six months—

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I have a coffee table type book called The Marines by John de St. Jorre ISBN 0-9658904-2-2.

Has a lot of great photos and covers the history of the Marine Corps up until when it was published in 2001.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the suggestion by CoolRich - The life of Chesty Puller. Very good reading.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Chesty, by Jon Hoffman

This is very good, very readable and is on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' required reading list for company grade offices.

if you think of it, tell your pal I said Semper fi!

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a few great choices already mentioned.

For history about the Marine Corps, and not specific to any wars or battle, take a look at these:

The Marines
by Edwin Simmons

Marines: An Illustrated History
by Chester Hearn

Marine
by Tom Clancy - a little old, but still relevant. It's a breakdown of a MEU, depending on when your friend was in, and his MOS, he might like this one.

USMC: United States Marine Corps- A Complete History
by Jon Hoffman

There's a smaller paperback the my brother gave me that I enjoy.
Marine Corps Lore: Marine Corps customs, traditions, lore and legend
by US Marines G-3 Division

There's a great series of book from W E B Griffin called "The Corps" that I also enjoyed.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post