SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 17-yr old alarm clock battery!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 17-yr old alarm clock battery! Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
On the lighter side of life!

I don't know how many of our members still use an alarm clock but mine is one I got in the mid-90's and its been ticking (figuratively) along for over 2 decades!

So last week the AA battery finally gave up the ghost and when I looked at it's expiration date, I was blown away and realized that I hadn't replaced the battery since about 2000! Can't believe my alarm clock uses so little battery power!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a travel alarm clock from before I got a smart phone. I think I've had it since 2000. It's in the master bath on the counter.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19647 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I still have the clock radio I bought in 1980. I don't use it anymore, but it still works.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I had an early digital clock radio for a long time that I eventually had a glass of water spill down into the top grill of the mono speaker and it drt.

The fact that I had it so long and it died because of my negligence pissed me off more than it should have.
So when I bought an $80 replacement my roommate thought I was crazy. I think I've had the replacement for 15+ yrs. Its been worth it.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
I just retired that very travel alarm clock this last January. It became unreliable due to getting knocked over too often. It cost $10 on sale, and was reliable for over 20 years.

I think that I got me money's worth on it.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Mine plugs in, but I still use the same 1999 Zenith alarm clock radio I bought to go to college with. I think my wife's is in the same situation.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got a little dinky alarm, similar to the OPs just a bit newer, that I got in 2004, last I saw it, it was still going, on the original batteries.

Need to find it, not sure where it ended up when we moved.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I use a battery powered alarm clock everyday and can't remember the last time I changed the battery. I feel like I should change it just in case...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have a little digital alarm clock by my bed that I have used for at least 20 years. I can recall changing the battery once in that time. Those suckers jsut don't use a lot of juice.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I still have the exact same Timex clock...it still works like a charm. The batteries have been changed out every three-four years (whether or not they needed it) Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that same alarm clock. If I remeber correctly it gave off a slight audible buzz when you hit the indiglo.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Our GE clock radio was purchased prior to college. Let's call it 35 years ago.

I never expected it to last this long. Honestly I've never really liked it all that well, it's pretty easy to change the time while adjusting the alarm.

Next time I buy one I'll know what to look at. Hell last time I bought an alarm I'd only been reading time 12 years.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have a GE alarm clock that I bought in the very early 80's. It has a blue digital front display and "elegant" faux wood finish.
I have often thought that it would soon be time to buy a replacement but so far this clock has never let me down.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have that exact model Alarm clock and have very similar experience with the batteries in it. They last forever in that thing.

BTW, it is the only Alarm clock that wakes me up. My wife sets a different one and I sleep through it, as well as those in hotel rooms. That clock goes on every trip I go on.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orange color Krups travel alarm clock. Made in West Germany. Bought in late '70's. One AA battery.

Clock's be almost 40 years old.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post