SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW's new R18 looks pretty good, next Bond Bike?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW's new R18 looks pretty good, next Bond Bike? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Will this be the next Bond Bike

Top 10 Bond Bikes

Retro styling is cool, I've ridden the air cooled boxer engine BMW R1200C, getting my size 14 boots under the heads to the controls is a tight squeeze. You need Pierce Brosnan feet...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?..._channel=RECAnything

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Nice Harley attempt.Don't see this as a Bond bike. But of course I have been wrong many times before. ( - =

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much heat comes off those heads. Seems like your shin would get toasted on a hot day.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I still own #3. Why would BMW ever want to copy Harley?

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Looks more like vintage BMW than Harley to me. Some of the ugliest exhaust systems ever installed on a motorcycle. The bolt on head covers look cheap.

1.8 is a big twin, 91 HP should feel pretty lively. 760 lbs wet!

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Why another bike for the cruiser market? I thought the cruiser market was contracting.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like it. Nice new take on their classic boxer twin. Want the dispatch rider seat with the low bars, but with the straight black pipes, not those ugly chrome things.

I'll bet that thing makes torque like the bottom end of Hoover Dam.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Quandt and all the little Quandtlings:

Call me when you finally dig deep enough into your own history to build a modern cruiser that I actually want. May I suggest springing for a copy of "The Illustrated BMW Motorcycle Buyer's Guide"?

http://thevintagent.com/2017/1...d-test-1929-bmw-r16/

Hell, the G-string "fairing" alone would absolutely transform the R18 aesthetically.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nope, NOT seeing it....I'd imagine the next 'Bond Bike' would look a lot more Ducati-esque. Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
BMW's new R18 looks pretty good ...

That makes one of us. Razz

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yuck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could really do without the "ape-hanger" handlebars.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I could really do without the "ape-hanger" handlebars.

Those are options, went to the kerz-figerinstaz-iater, the bike with the apes is orderable with that option, but it's not standard..

This is pretty much the bone stock look...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Retro styling is cool, I've ridden the air cooled boxer engine BMW R1200C, getting my size 14 boots under the heads to the controls is a tight squeeze.

Actually the R1200C is considered oil cooled. It incorporates 2 oil pumps, one low volume/high pressure for lubrication and one high volume/low pressure sends it through the oil cooler. I believe BMW air cooled engines ended in 1996.
I guess the R18 is somewhat styled as a retro BMW R60/2, or maybe an even earlier R50, for hipsters. What I don't care for is the sheer size of the thing, it has a 68" wheelbase, weighs 750 pounds, and its 1800cc motor is 3 times the displacement (and power) of what it's trying to copy. For reference an R60/2 wheelbase is a foot shorter and it weighs over 300 pounds less. It'd be cool if BMW made an updated Airhead, actually the closest thing to one is being made now, only by Moto Guzzi..... which is probably why I have one.
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone is almost exactly the same size and weight as an R60/2. It has a 700cc air cooled, 2 valve, V-twin only with modern touches like fuel injection, 6-speed transmission, ABS brakes, and tubeless tires.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Why another bike for the cruiser market? I thought the cruiser market was contracting.
Everyone exiting has left a void at this motor size. You can either buy an overpriced mediocre ubiquitous motorcycle from a t-shirt company, a rather unconventional Ducatti Diavel, a dated Indian Chief, or an even more dated model from Suzuki. To me, it looks like BMW is aiming for Ducati performance but a more traditional look.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’d rather see Bond ride the R Nine T or perhaps this fire breathing monster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a BMW rider / fan, but its a nope for me. The water cooled Boxer with VVT (ShiftCam) is the way to go, IMHO, if you are into horizontally opposed motors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Air cooled engines are going the way of the dodo...

The 1200C may have been cooled by oil, however the engine still has air cooled cylinders note the fins, neither has a water radiator, similar to some HD models.

Even HD's water cooled are still air cooled to a point... Hence Wet Heads, the heads are water cooled...

Word is HD has restricted production for 2021 to 95,000 units, mostly because of a short production time frame, demand and prices will be high... I predict a reduction in overall dealers, to be blamed on poor design, lack of a major high speed model made by Eric Buell and dying off old customer base Roll Eyes mostly by guys who dont own one and never would.

I like to have something a bit different, even if it's the same HD my neighbor has Razz , Bought Road glides when everyone said they were ugly and wouldn't sell, now, every one has one...

The Goootzi is nice.... I kinda like the BMW in a it's not an HD or regular high speed luxobarge BMW. Don't fit on crotch rockets anymore so those are out.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Now 'that' is cool. The frame and tank design is art.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post