SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
... It takes desire, self-determination and, sacrifice to set a goal and achieve it. The color of your skin is irrelevant.

Amen.

God bless your sister for going against the machine and affecting those kids in a positive manner.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
My younger sister started her career as a 3rd grade teacher in bad school district in Philly. She was one of two white people in the entire school. She was a great teacher and taught her kids. When her kids tested better than any other 3rd grade class in the school, she was accused of cheating and helping her students. They retested her kids with a member of the Philly school board there to proctor and ensure no cheating was happening. Once again, her students scored in the same range well above the rest of the other 3rd grade classes. The other teachers created such a scene over the incident that my sister quit and went back to school to become an Occupational Therapist. The school boards and the unions that allow lazy mediocrity to exist are failing our kids. Combine the less than mediocre excuses that some of these kids have as parents and well, life sucks. It takes desire, self-determination and, sacrifice to set a goal and achieve it. The color of your skin is irrelevant.

This x 10 !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have thought for YEARS the Department of Education (and I use the term 'education' VERY loosely there) should just dry up and blow away...

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
...I recall people like MCPO Carl Brashear...

And it runs in the Brashear family. His great nephew, Donald Brashear, overcame insurmountable childhood abuse to have a fairly successful NHL career. Although not the model player for today's game, he was definitely respected during his career aside from a couple of bonehead maneuvers. I have more respect for the Brashear family than I EVER will for the likes of that trash known as AOC.

/DRIFT

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
schools DO NOT allow mediocrity

they require it

its what you get from government run education

you cannot have a monopoly if you allow or encourage students to be smarter than the teachers - they have their pensions to protect, the students be damned

its pisses me off to no end that I am forced to support these institutions of abysmal learning with my taxes no matter how much I complain - they argue for the greater good, I counter it perpetuates the greater bad

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
“There is a strong and positive correlation between the volume and depth of a student’s working academic vocabulary and later success in school and eventual educational attainment. Vocabulary is related to reading and reading is related to academic success.”
http://www.causinglearning.com...ine-a-childs-future/

Simple question, how many books are found in a student’s house? How many books do they read each year?

Teaching special education, I was amazed at how little my students read. Many complained of getting headaches when reading.

My guess is that the students that get accepted have many books and a high vocabulary.

During my parent-teacher meetings I was astounded when the two adults and the student all had the same last name. Normally it was one adult, one student and maybe they shared the last name.

Instead of facing these facts, the powers that be try to destroy the test. Do a vocabulary test and run the results against those accepted. The results would be interested.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE
They are just products of the community around them, a savage, entitled, broken system from top to bottom. These schools have plenty of money, that's not the problem. Liberal policies and ignoring the real issues, total lack of any parental involvement or discipline, zero respect for teachers or authority, and just no ambition to be anything or learn anything. Even if you did get a good kid willing to learn, I don't think they can in that environment. Its basically a day shift juvenile detention hall / babysitting service. I don't know what the answer is, because its the entire community around them.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts also. and it started with do-gooders messing with natural advancement by learned /taught abilities. They decided for the quick fix without much thinking and with way to muchmuch feeling. And created policies that feel good but have dramatically backfired. And it has impacted every area of our modern life. Especially those they meant to help.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Maggie with the NYT got owned. Assumed that the testing was favoring rich white kids...Ooops!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
“There is a strong and positive correlation between the volume and depth of a student’s working academic vocabulary and later success in school and eventual educational attainment. Vocabulary is related to reading and reading is related to academic success.”
http://www.causinglearning.com...ine-a-childs-future/

Simple question, how many books are found in a student’s house? How many books do they read each year?

Teaching special education, I was amazed at how little my students read. Many complained of getting headaches when reading.

My guess is that the students that get accepted have many books and a high vocabulary.

One of the biggest indicators of academic success or, at least an understanding of the evolving world, is how active a reader the child, and to a greater extent, the household the child lives-in, reads. I've gone to enough birthday parties for nieces and nephews, cousins and friends, you look around the house and you form the picture of their future: who's got books & magazines about and who's got video games/TVs. If the parents aren't active readers, then the kids won't be either.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my daughters were in special academic programs. EVERY event had one, if not both, parents in attendance. They started with a handful of black kids, all of which failed out or withdrew, none of which had fathers that I knew of. Two of the kids expressed that they were getting pressured for "acting white." It should be noted the programs were loaded with Asian students AND THEIR PARENTS.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's a parent what's missing...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It's a parent what's missing...

hahahaha

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
They started with a handful of black kids, all of which failed out or withdrew, none of which had fathers that I knew of.

They did have fathers: the government as mandated by that rotten son of a rotten bitch lbj and his "war on poverty" which played a large part in destroying the black family.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
They did have fathers sires: the government as mandated by that rotten son of a rotten bitch lbj and his "war on poverty" which played a large part in destroying the black family.

quote:

sire
noun
the male parent of an animal, especially a stallion or bull kept for breeding.
"the sire is one of the country's top thoroughbred stallions"

Father of 43 children found beaten inside Chicago home. Father??? Sire.

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
DeBlasio & Ocasio. So happy together

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The vocational district I work for has 3 academy's out of the 7 high schools. You have to take a test to get in the academy's. But this is a county school, so every high school in the county (17) no matter what gets 1 student accepted even if the score is low. Usually within the first year those students that came in with a low score end up asking to go back to their regular high school. Depending on the academy, each freshman class accepts around 75 students.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Equality of opportunities is messy, especially when they want equality of results...

This deserves a repeat. Everyone believes in equal opportunity, but liberals DEMAND equal results.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's a Colin Flaherty video from about eight months ago. (SHSAT = Specialized High School Admissions Test). Take your BP meds before watching.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lFDj1zd_VP0

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Here's a Colin Flaherty video from about eight months ago. (SHSAT = Specialized High School Admissions Test). Take your BP meds before watching.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lFDj1zd_VP0

A well-rounded student who can bring value to the school through a holistic admissions process ???

She does not think eliminating the test would be watering down the test Roll Eyes

She feels for the Asians who, though discriminated, had to "practice, practice, practice" ... in other words, she feels sorry they had to apply themselves.

Rodneyse Bichotte does not want potential students to have to apply themselves. So that they have a better real life experience. A life of unaccountability?

She says housing, health care, and economic development is the answer . . . Didn't this plan start in the '60s?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
She says housing, health care, and economic development is the answer . . . Didn't this plan start in the '60s?

And along with other free perks for occupying space and using up oxygen, it endures to this day. There is no incentive to excel at the cost of blood, sweat, and effort when one can simply exist for free.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post