SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science, I contend that the test is there to separate the wheat from the chaff.
No exemptions or special treatment should be allowed.
If the entry standards are diminished, so will the graduates,

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
To find the real problem here, one must dig. And that digging, just like with almost every societal problem, leads straight back to the root cause...government. Government will always refuse to look in the mirror and accept that 'it' is the problem.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Jim, that's an African ... should be an Asian. Razz

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
To say that Asians can't be counted as minority candidates because they are too smart and work too hard is the most demeaning and, dare I say, racist comment you could make in reference to other minorities.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
How to combat racism in this school.

7/895 (0.7%) is an unacceptable number for black students in this school

New Plan - Achieve 20% integration

This coming year - 179 Caucasian students who scored carried a 3.9-4.2 GPA and scored 95%+ on the entrance exam will not be allowed to attend the school so an equal number of black students with a 2.5-3.5 GPA and something less than 95% entrance exam scores can take their place.

The next year - Suspend all standards and admit equal percentages based on demographics thus making attendance equal for all.

How to kill an elite program in two easy steps

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
They are just products of the community around them, a savage, entitled, broken system from top to bottom. These schools have plenty of money, that's not the problem. Liberal policies and ignoring the real issues, total lack of any parental involvement or discipline, zero respect for teachers or authority, and just no ambition to be anything or learn anything. Even if you did get a good kid willing to learn, I don't think they can in that environment. Its basically a day shift juvenile detention hall / babysitting service. I don't know what the answer is, because its the entire community around them.

My best friend had an exact experience; got his teaching certification, and was promptly told he needed to work as a substitute. Substituted for 5-years, virtually all of it in low-income areas that tenured teachers avoided like the plague. Every Parent-Teacher meeting he had to endure the constant harangue from whatever parent/guardian would show up, complaining the teacher wasn't doing enough, when his only point was..'your kid doesn't do or, turn-in any homework, ergo they're failing.' He left after 5-years with the impression that schools are simply gov-mandated baby-sitting services and the parents aren't doing a damn thing to help their own kids or, create the environment for them to learn/succeed.
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
The Asian community better find some money for lobbyists and political donations before they get sacrificed on the altar of "racial justice".

The Harvard Admissions lawsuit may be the wake-up call.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend lives in progressive San Francisco. He sent his kits to private school, with his wife working at the school to lower the tuition costs.

He told me that in the SF public schools, the teachers end up just trying to control the class, and little learning goes on. The problem students have little or no parental involvement and often live in a low income household where there is little supervision.

The fathers often live somewhere else, and have limited contact with their children.

So, as has been mentioned before on SF, welfare has created much of this mess as the mom's have kids for the free money. In my opinion, as long as there is the welfare state, screwed up kids and poor public schools will be the norm in big cities and progressive communities.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you’re not smart enough, you don’t get in. You want to get in? Take the standard road that is known to work: apply yourself and get good grades. It really is that simple.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that my hero, Thomas Sowell, attended Stuyvesant High School for a while (but had to drop out for financial reasons). No affirmative action or shortage of grey matter there.
Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Look up Dr. James Watson a pioneer in DNA research. His research found some races simply less intelligent than others on average. He is now as ignored as Murray because of this unpopular view.

From Wiki:
Watson has repeatedly asserted that differences in average measured IQ between blacks and whites are due to genetics.[93][94][95] In early October 2007, he was interviewed by Charlotte Hunt-Grubbe at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL). He discussed his view that Africans are less intelligent than Westerners.[96][97][98] Watson said his intention was to promote science, not racism, but some UK venues canceled his appearances,[99] and he canceled the rest of his tour.[100][101][102][103] An editorial in Nature said that his remarks were "beyond the pale," but wished that the tour had not been canceled so that Watson would have had to face his critics in person, encouraging scientific discussion on the matter.[104] Because of the controversy, the Board of Trustees at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory suspended Watson's administrative responsibilities.[105] Watson issued an apology,[106] then retired at the age of 79 from CSHL from what the lab called "nearly 40 years of distinguished service".[59][107] Watson attributed his retirement to his age, and circumstances that he could never have anticipated or desired.[108][109][110]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watson

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's disgusting. The old guy (he's 90YO) simply expressed an opinion that isn't PC and was contrary to the agenda of the GDC's. May they all choke on bags of dicks. Mad

Here's the way it is:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/FqzXkzLGu1A

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Based on the things I have read and observed over the years, I believe one of the biggest determiners of academic success, as well as success in life, is an intact family unit. This is especially true if the family unit values academic achievement.

I also believe IQ scores can be affected by 10%, or more, based on learning habits like reading, performing math equations, etc.

Asian families measure the highest of all ethnic groups with regard to intact family units and the valuing of education. Whites come next, etc. IQ scores apparently correlate with these factors.

Since the dawn of LBJ's war on poverty, the black family unit has disintegrated, out of wedlock births have gone nuclear and children are largely sexual debris to the males that father them. This disease has spread to white families as well. I would guess that multi-generation American-born Asian families are not far behind.

It's tragic that the same democrats who have destroyed families, and the notion of achievement, now stand in the middle of their own sinking ship and keep wanting to rearrange the deck chairs with some delusional sense of authority. The hubris reeks from their pores.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The Universe doesn't care about how you feel, or what you would like to be true. There is no PC, there is no "equality," there is no grade curve. In Nature, there is no good or evil. Only consequences.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Funny how you don't hear white ppl bitching even though they are under-represented at these schools.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Funny how you don't hear white ppl bitching even though they are under-represented at these schools.

I am not aware of Asians complaining either, and they are often the most penalized group with regard to college admissions.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
As a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science, I contend that the test is there to separate the wheat from the chaff.
No exemptions or special treatment should be allowed.
If the entry standards are diminished, so will the graduates,

As a fellow alum (class of 1971) I have to agree. There has been a coterie of people trying to destroy the specialized high schools for years, probably because the admission numbers highlight the crappy nature of most of the school system there. I'm surprised, but grateful, that so far they haven't succeeded.

As an aside, I do quibble with the assertion in the article that Stuyvesant is the most difficult of the schools to get into <G> Science-ites all agreed that the Stutvesant crowd were slackers.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
A friend lives in progressive San Francisco. He sent his kits to private school, with his wife working at the school to lower the tuition costs.

He told me that in the SF public schools, the teachers end up just trying to control the class, and little learning goes on. The problem students have little or no parental involvement and often live in a low income household where there is little supervision.

The fathers often live somewhere else, and have limited contact with their children.

So, as has been mentioned before on SF, welfare has created much of this mess as the mom's have kids for the free money. In my opinion, as long as there is the welfare state, screwed up kids and poor public schools will be the norm in big cities and progressive communities.

I think this is common to all urban-areas in the country, I attended a public HS in SF, it drew kids from all corners of the city and some of my classes were just like your friend described; the teacher spent at least 1/3 of the class time getting kids to pay attention and STFU. Over the last 25-years, the amount of private schools in SF has exploded, public schools are nearly exclusively non-white, whereas private schools are usually 50:50 white & Asian.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
When I hear the SJW and the people within the demographic discussed whining about the "unfair, unequal blah blah blah", I recall people like MCPO Carl Brashear, and his choice to fight against all odds.

Certainly, just newly past the desegregation by Truman, and the "yet to change" downstream policies and hurdles, as well as the many other shortcomings in his life, he pushed himself and any and all obstacles in the way of his goal.

That is what made him a Master Navy Diver, and a successful man.

Not quotas, failed policies, false foundations or other foolish and wasteful "do nothing" programs. He succeeded because he learned from his parents, you take what comes and you "use it or lose it", and he "used" the things that gave him advantage to reach opportunity, and he "lost" the things that could or would hold him back at every point he could. And well understood, that if you do not pursue and seize the things in life to your advantage, life will pursue and seize you, to your detriment.

Those today, having grown up in the knowledge of what this man did in his life, should be scorned for their walking over the paths he paved, with shit on their shoes.

He has been an inspiration in my life.

Fair winds, and following seas, Master Chief.

I really do feel bad for all of these kids who have -- for all practice purposes -- no real parents. Even the Mr. Brashear had that advantage. I would bet the 7 black kids that were admitted were from stable homes with highly driven parents involved and interested in helping their kids be successful. That's the nucleus of any successful child.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My younger sister started her career as a 3rd grade teacher in bad school district in Philly. She was one of two white people in the entire school. She was a great teacher and taught her kids. When her kids tested better than any other 3rd grade class in the school, she was accused of cheating and helping her students. They retested her kids with a member of the Philly school board there to proctor and ensure no cheating was happening. Once again, her students scored in the same range well above the rest of the other 3rd grade classes. The other teachers created such a scene over the incident that my sister quit and went back to school to become an Occupational Therapist. The school boards and the unions that allow lazy mediocrity to exist are failing our kids. Combine the less than mediocre excuses that some of these kids have as parents and well, life sucks. It takes desire, self-determination and, sacrifice to set a goal and achieve it. The color of your skin is irrelevant.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post