SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Docs Here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Docs Here Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Hope you never have macula degeneration requiring shots in your eyes.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
My advice is to suck it up Wink

This.

These sprays are essentially useless in my experience. If someone wants to be a drama queen they will do nothing. And, most patients do choose to be drama queens.

I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the generational line, we became a nation of pussies. So you get a needle stuck into you...BFD. As Dusty says, "Suck it up".

My common refrain is, "Is it going to hurt?". "Yes, but guess what? You'll live".

What I find is that most folks 50+ have no issue. They seem to know that sometimes a little pain leads to relief and they deal with it by gritting their teeth for a second or two and then...it's all good. Others I need to chase around the room while they are writhing in pain and (moreso) histrionics. I tire of it quickly. They demand lidocaine before an IV start despite the fact that lidocaine (unbuffered) hurts more than the IV start itself. Roll Eyes

I used to let paramedic and nursing students practice IV starts on me. Again...BFD.

A little pain is a part of life. Just the other day my podiatrist put a steroid injection into my big toe knuckle. It hurt like a mother...for a few seconds...and then it was over. Whoopdedoo.

I hate people.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Hope you never have macular degeneration requiring shots in your eyes.

My Mom is going through that. Horrible. Frown

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

I took my grandmother to get a shot in her eye once. Went back with her as she was in her late 90's. Not something you want to watch but then you can't turn away.

I'm not afraid of needles but hope to never have one stuck in my eye.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

GET OUT!! Eek

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is another way to make to make venipunctures painless, particularly in blood banks, where they use those 16ga horse needles to get the blood out faster. Years ago, I donated blood and they used a tiny, painless 25ga needle and injected xylocaine to form a wheal or bubble over the vein. Inserting the 16ga needle was then totally painless. Now when I donate, they just jam that 16ga in there. I always mention that I know they could make it totally painless, if they wanted too. Another trick is to ask your doctor for a prescription for Lidocaine cream. Smear that on the site 30-60 minutes before and you won't feel a thing

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have undergone several eye transplants. Lenses on both eyes, corneal transplants. With all the attendant needles, etc. When he did the cornea work, he inserted the new inner layer of the cornea, injected an air bubble to hold it in place until it seated. Both eyes 2 weeks apart.

I have little memory of those events, but I do know that my eyes were sore from the injections.

Had I not gone thru it, I would be blind today.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
They demand lidocaine before an IV start despite the fact that lidocaine (unbuffered) hurts more than the IV start itself.

I hate people.

If the lidocaine hurts more than the IV start, why do people keep asking me to use the lidocaine ? Are they just being "macho" ? Are you saying that they are choosing the more painful approach ?
The frequent flyers that I get asked to start IVs on, are usually relieved when I inject a little lido. first.
Whose "comfort" are we talking about ?

As an aside....my partner at work is a fan of ethyl chloride....when he started my IV for a colonscopy , he used it on me....I was skeptical but didn't want to tell him how to do his anesthetic..... I honestly didn't feel a darn thing....

As far as "hating people"....maybe it's time for retirement ????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike28w,

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

My common refrain is, "Is it going to hurt?". "Yes, but guess what? You'll live".

Not so sure when Respiratory Therapist goes mining during arterial blood draw with rolling arteries. . . . even had that one last night.

Last year had 4 shots right through the ear drum. Heard it all real well.

Doc said first two shots were to numb the area. Liar!

. . . . never again unless they crown me with a big ball-peen hammer first.

The spray they need for that should come with a full mask and an Anesthesiologist.

Several doctors have used EMLA on my wife; she swears by it and swears without it. Big Grin

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post