SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let Me Introduce You to Audio Nirvana...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let Me Introduce You to Audio Nirvana... Login/Join 
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
And I'm guessing that there are fewer used McIntosh products on the market vs other brands.

Wayniac's speakers would be harder to come by. McIntosh components are available because they go a long time. McIntosh has a good support network.

Maybe Wayniac will tell about how he put his system together.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
And I'm guessing that there are fewer used McIntosh products on the market vs other brands.

Wayniac's speakers would be harder to come by. McIntosh components are available because they go a long time. McIntosh has a good support network.

Maybe Wayniac will tell about how he put his system together.

Wayniac, can you give us more details?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Those JBLs look somewhat similar to my Apogee Stage dipole ribbon speakers. Treble is good, bass is marginal, but midrange is sooo smooth. Superb definition with no need to crank up the volume. Stereo imaging is awesome on center, but goes to hell off center. If two want to listen together, they need to be really cozy.

https://www.stereophile.com/fl...akers/789/index.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
It's just great to see people still interested in stereo sound. Not 5.1, not pure video support systems. Just stereo sound to reproduce music.

I worked in a high end audio store a long time ago, and still have a system that I put together at the time, and to me, it still sounds great. And that's what matters. It just has to sound great to you.

Enjoy Wayniac!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
It's just great to see people still interested in stereo sound. Not 5.1, not pure video support systems. Just stereo sound to reproduce music.

I worked in a high end audio store a long time ago, and still have a system that I put together at the time, and to me, it still sounds great. And that's what matters. It just has to sound great to you.

Enjoy Wayniac!

I never knew how good stereo could sound until my local shop introduced me to a pair of B&W Signature 800's.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
italia has it right. What sounds best to you is what is best for you. Smile

My epiphany came when I heard Magnaplanar Tympani IV speakers triamped with Bryston amps back in the mid '70s at a west coast stereo boutique store. It took me well over a decade later to acquire a pristine used pair of Magneplanar MGIII which I tweaked the crossovers in. Biamped them and augmented them with a big subwoofer. Been enjoying the hell out of the system since.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking setup. Smile

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
italia has it right. What sounds best to you is what is best for you. Smile

My epiphany came when I heard Magnaplanar Tympani IV speakers triamped with Bryston amps back in the mid '70s at a west coast stereo boutique store. It took me well over a decade later to acquire a pristine used pair of Magneplanar MGIII which I tweaked the crossovers in. Biamped them and augmented them with a big subwoofer. Been enjoying the hell out of the system since.

I had a pair of Magneplanar MG-1s, but its aluminum wires disintegrated in the humid FL atmosphere. That's when I bought the Apogee Stage speakers.

When I lived in MN, I was just a few miles from the Magnepan factory. Toured it a couple of times.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some very nice setups here. I love McIntosh sound. Best sound I ever heard was an all-McIntosh setup at a high-end dealer here in Cincinnati. Mind-blowing.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Of course, my wife gets frustrated with me when riding in the car and I don't change the radio station during the commercials because its all just background noise to me...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh dear lord. I've been dreaming of a setup powered by Mac going to a pair of Sonus Faber speakers since I fell in love with them in a demo 25 years ago. Now I learn about Audiogon...

Oh lord have mercy.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Not on par with what you guys are doing. But for the office/gun room/play room I think I'm going to build a pair.

https://www.parts-express.com/...et-kit-pair--300-702

I built a pair of Overnight Sensations MTM for the downstairs. It was a fun project.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I had McIntosh equipment back in the late 60s. A rack in what should have been a bedroom contained all the audio equipment that filled the house.

These days I've gone the other route: Since the late 70s, I've been a fan of the Bang & Olufsen line of audio equipment, and have a nice setup in my living room. It's unobtrusive for the most part, but it will crank out some very crisp, clean highs, deep bass sound waves when I want it to.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post