SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let Me Introduce You to Audio Nirvana...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let Me Introduce You to Audio Nirvana... Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
The mighty JBL 250ti, Limited Edition.

I'm driving the highs and mids with McIntosh MC30 tube amps, a McIntosh MC2100 is driving the lows.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see JBL shedding it's mass market past.

However, I never joined the cult of tube amps. Solid state sounds just as good, have more power, and less maintenance issues.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great setup. I will be looking for the same type setup when we retire and move into new home.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
you may have audio nirvana but you're stuck somewhere in video purgatory.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
Glass table top shatters in 1, 2 ,3...

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've always been intrigued by tube equipment. Looks great!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
you may have audio nirvana but you're stuck somewhere in video purgatory.

No kidding. $3000 speakers, $100 TV.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd. This is my listening room, the 5 year old Sony serves as a great display for my music server. I have a nicer, larger TV in the family room...

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
Tough crowd. This is my listening room . . .

I first learned audio on McIntosh components. I am not sure about the room shape and materials but there's nothing like the McIntosh sound.

More THD than solid state but what distortion!

Solid State: "Wow. That's accurate."
Proper Tubes: "Wow. That's beautiful."

Right now, I am finishing a new rewired/retubed guitar amp with an original K120. Over the years, JBL has hit upon some special things.

I used a Butler tube amp to smooth out titanium Focal speakers in one of my cars so I imagine using McIntosh to drive your speakers would work well too.

I'd love to hear Strivinsky's Firebird with the giant drum on your set up.

Enjoy nirvana.

(Edit: I formerly used the Butler amp until someone recently broke into the trunk and took it. I am in denial because it aggravates me.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tubetone,

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bet that does sound great.
I bought a set of JBL Decades new many years ago, still have them but need reconed.

Not a bad sound for a mid sized speaker.
I replaced them with the Ohm I. Great sounding biamp capable.
I always wanted Mac tube amps.
I have them powered with a Carver and an SAE amp.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If one wanted to get some Mac equipment...probably used, where would one look?

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Audiogon

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Audiogon

Thanks, Bill. Holy crap! Maybe I shouldn't have asked. Wink

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Audiogon

6guns, that was what came to mind to warn you about when you asked. Wink

One advantage is that the blue lights are a uniquely soothing color. If you put on the right music and take in the lights, you'd forget about the money. It's a pleasant seduction.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. If I ever find time to sit and really listen I will invest in McIntosh, I love the sound.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Daaaaamn. Would love to hear those suckers.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
quote:
Audiogon

6guns, that was what came to mind to warn you about when you asked. Wink

One advantage is that the blue lights are a uniquely soothing color. If you put on the right music and take in the lights, you'd forget about the money. It's a pleasant seduction.

The look really is inviting! And I'm sure the sound makes you stay! Maybe sometime in the future. The interest has been there for years. I could sell a few guitars....or not. Wink

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

It's a pleasant seduction.

The look really is inviting! And I'm sure the sound makes you stay! Maybe sometime in the future. The interest has been there for years. I could sell a few guitars....or not. Wink

Yea. Lots of not. Wink

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
And I'm guessing that there are fewer used McIntosh products on the market vs other brands.