SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New truck battery for 90's Chevy PU. $50, & $75 or $100?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New truck battery for 90's Chevy PU. $50, & $75 or $100? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I can get a 1yr or 2yr or 5yr battery.

I am tempted to buy the $50 and roll the dice with the way batteries our now days.

Napa was like $135
and shop was like $120 for a Delco.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Depends where you live and if the truck is a stick and if there is no chance you'll have an emergency.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
A 90s truck will be fine with a lower priced name brand battery.
It is all the new electronics in vehicles that crush them.
My 2000 Silverado is still going strong on it's 2nd Delco (though I likely just jinxed myself with winter approaching)

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is a manual transmission. Not sure what you mean about an emergency. Don't know what that has to do with my question about choosing a battery Confused

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
It is a manual transmission. Not sure what you mean about an emergency. Don't know what that has to do with my question about choosing a battery Confused

You can push start a manual if the battery dies.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Are you near a Costco? They have great batteries at good prices.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

You can push start a manual if the battery dies.

Yup even if the battery is dead just get her rolling and let out the clutch slowly.

————————————————

Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
The last batteries I bought were at WalMart. The brand is EverStart. I think I bought the higher grade ones that cost $90 to $100 back in 2012, IIRC. They have worked great.

I would shy away from the cheapest ones, on the theory that it's worth the extra $50 to avoid having it fail in a parking lot, in a snow storm, far from home.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know your location (climate) but don't get a battery with an ampere hour rating less than the original. (This information is probably in your owner's manual)Also, farm stores sometimes have good prices in my area.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
My 2000 Silverado is still going strong on it's 2nd Delco (though I likely just jinxed myself with winter approaching)

Please explain.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:

Please explain.

All of the fancy electronics in today's vehicles computers etc. all tend to have a bit of a draw on the battery when the vehicle is not on. Being that the battery pretty much has a constant draw sometimes from 10+ computers batteries just do not last like on older vehicles that have less suffisticated electronics that don't have a constant draw.

————————————————

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I just went through this. For a diesel needing two (2) batteries. I wanted to save a few bucks. I was going to go the Walmart EverStart. They have good reviews and CR has rated them at the top many times. $50 one didn't have enough CCA (650). $75 one had min recommended CCA (750). $95 one had just under the recommended CCA (700). 3 techs in the shop told me not to buy any of them for a deisel truck. None will hold up. In diesels they see them come back yearly for replacement under warranty. Interwebs recommended at least 850 CCA. The old batteries were 800 CCA Auto Zone Golds and lasted 7yrs. On a truck that averages about 3500 miles/yr. It sits a lot.

I ended up at Advanced Auto (were I buy 99.9% of my auto parts due to online discounts) and bought 2 850 CCA 3yr no prorate Platnium batteries for less than the Walmart ones. I found a 30% off, $50 max discount, online coupon through Googling. Then they have a $40/$100 spent kick back on their reward program. I bought the batteries in two separate transactions getting the full $50 discount on each one. Then I received two $40 discounts for each one for future purchases at Advanced Auto.

Thats $50+$40 = $90 savings per battery. Each battery was $150 before discounts. So I paid $60 for each battery. Can't beat that.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Last few go arounds I've had success buying them from Batterymart. I think they are a franchise type chain, but big on-line presence also.

http://www.batterymart.com/

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:

Please explain.

All of the fancy electronics in today's vehicles computers etc. all tend to have a bit of a draw on the battery when the vehicle is not on. Being that the battery pretty much has a constant draw sometimes from 10+ computers batteries just do not last like on older vehicles that have less suffisticated electronics that don't have a constant draw.

.05 amps or under is the typical draw on a car with "fancy electronics". Most of the computers and control modules go to "sleep" shortly after a car is turned off.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like interstate. Usually $100-120 and my last one went 9 years in my daily. Not a diesel guy though, so...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2738 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I'd want better than a stock cca battery. Earlier statement about sitting in a cold truck during the winter and getting a groan from a half dead battery is dead-on. Ask me how I know.
As far as "bump-starting a stick". If you have a '90s vehicle and less than say 11 volts in your battery I don't think the electronic ignition will fire. Someone feel free to correct me if you KNOW for a fact I'm wrong.
I've been using NAPA batteries in bikes, lawn tractors and trucks for a while. No complaints.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A $50, one-year-warranty battery? Nobody wants to pay more for something than they really have to, but it is equally unwise to pay too little. It won't sound so great when it very probably won't even go the one year and leaves you stuck out in BFE. Cough up the extra few bucks.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For vehicle batteries I get the highest and best I can buy. I buy the Sears Diehard Gold or Platinum which are now maintenance free. YES they are very expensive at $200+ but they have a very long warranty exchange like 8 years and the first 3 or 4 years you are not prorated but full exchange. I had only 1 Diehard gold go bad within the 3 years and they replaced it for free for the full price with another Diehard Gold. Whereas the lesser expensive batteries have shorter warranties that immediately are prorated meaning you loss some money already. Just sharing my experience and opinion. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Anything that needs a battery on the farm I go to Orschelins.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5036 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Cheap batteries die early. They may fail within the warranty period so it may come down to how you feel about the inconvenience of dealing with a crapped out battery. If you don't want to mess with it then buy a good battery. How long do you think you will own the truck? If you're going to send it down the road in a year then roll the dice on the cheapie.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post