SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone backup question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone backup question Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
Today I finally broke down and bought a 120gig (128 gig? whatever it is) iPhone 7 to replace my beat to hell and back 60gig iPhone 6 that I keep having to delete things off of to free space up (in addition to the water damage, cracked screen, etc. this phones endures. I go to backup my 6 in preparation of loading my stuff up on the 7. First I try with iTunes to avoid buying enough space on the cloud. I plug the 6 into my Mac mini and it tells me I haven't backed my phone up in 101 weeks.. shit, this is gonna' take a while. I leave it plugged in and go to dinner..

two hours later I come home and it's done, it says my last backup was today... perfect right? I plug the 7 in and restore it to the backup I just did and it says the backup was corrupt. I try a few more times with the same luck. Looks like I'm buying cloud space.

I purchase my 200gig of cloud storage and start backing the 6 up to the cloud. It stated off saying 2 hours, that was 2 hours ago and it now says 8 hours remaining?!? Is that possible? Am I doing something wrong? It's only 60gigs I'm backing up.

I AM connected to wifi, I have a decent number of pictures, but nothing I'd imagine would delay the backup. It's mainly work stuff; emails, pics, a TON of lengthy text messages with clients.

HALP! This is giving me high blood pressure

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
First off, set up your phone to back up to the cloud everytime it's plugged in and charging at home. That'll make it a LOT easier when it comes time to do a manual incremental update.

Secondly, I don't think you need all that storage space. I was using a lot of space on my phone but only 5GBs in the cloud. Maybe I don't take as many photos as you, but texts/contacts/settings don't require much in the way of storage. Just start off with the 20GB plan.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Forget the cloud. Back up to iTunes, it is local on your hard drive. Quick reinstall if you need it, without having to rely on network connectivity. Connect your phone via the USB cable and never look back.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Forget the cloud. Back up to iTunes, it is local on your hard drive. Quick reinstall if you need it, without having to rely on network connectivity. Connect your phone via the USB cable and never look back.

I'd love to, but like I said in the OP, the backups weren't working and it was telling me they were corrupt (but didn't tell me WHAT part of it wasn't working)

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
First off, set up your phone to back up to the cloud everytime it's plugged in and charging at home. That'll make it a LOT easier when it comes time to do a manual incremental update.

Secondly, I don't think you need all that storage space. I was using a lot of space on my phone but only 5GBs in the cloud. Maybe I don't take as many photos as you, but texts/contacts/settings don't require much in the way of storage. Just start off with the 20GB plan.

That's the plan moving forward. And my 6 was totally full at 60gigs, I tried with the complementary 5 on the cloud and it said it wasn't enough.

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I'm now at an estimated 10 hours.

├┼┼╕
246R

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'd have a suggestion, but your avatar is driving me nuts. I'm outa this thread...

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I'd have a suggestion, but your avatar is driving me nuts. I'm outa this thread...

Your contribution is much appreciated! Confused

├┼┼╕
246R

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I'm now at an estimated 10 hours.

If it was corrupt backing up to a hard wire connected Mac, what makes you think that after 10+ hours of backing up to the cloud it won't still be corrupt?

If you have a lot of pictures on there, why not simply manually back these up to your computer? Plug it in and navigate to it as a mounted drive and drag the pictures/folder to your computer. Then delete them from the phone and try backing up again to the computer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Full storage can cause lots of weird problems. It's possible that is the issue. No working room...

Look in settings and delete several of you biggest apps (you can reinstall later) Settings/ General/ Storage.. /Manage storage, to see the memory each consumes.
Also old text, especially ones with photos, emails etc.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
It says I have 1gb available of the 60.. would that constitute "super full"?

├┼┼╕
246R

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Humm... you would think that should do it but it is probably in a thousand pieces. If you current effort fails I would try to double or more that amount if possible and try iTunes again.

I guess your OS up to date, and iTunes...

Shut down and restart the phone and laptop both then try.
Other than that IDK. Good luck.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Humm... you would think that should do it but it is probably in a thousand pieces. If you current effort fails I would try to double or more that amount if possible and try iTunes again.

I guess your OS up to date, and iTunes...

Shut down and restart the phone and laptop both then try.
Other than that IDK. Good luck.

Thank you. I just updated my iTunes on the Mac mini, the one phone was up to date, and I just updated the other. I deleted all the old backups and am doing it again on the 6 now. What a pain in the ass! Serves me right for only doing a backup every 2 years.

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Still no luck. I'm thinking the issue may be that there's an iTunes update available for the 7, and I can't update it without setting the phone up it seems... What if I set up the 7 as a "new install", update my iTunes on the 7, then restore the 7 with the last backup I just did on the 6.

├┼┼╕
246R

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That might work. It seems like Apple programs its iOS to not do things correctly once it's detected there's an update until you've updated to the latest version.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This is what Genius Bars are for!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Funny, I'm 100% the opposite direction here. I won't let my iPhone touch iTunes or be plugged in as I've been screwed over one too many times by that process. I'm all cloud and cloud only.

OP: check your text messages, this is usually the bigggest hog of space even more so many times than pics and videos. Clear all your texts and you may get many GB right back.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Funny, I'm 100% the opposite direction here. I won't let my iPhone touch iTunes or be plugged in as I've been screwed over one too many times by that process. I'm all cloud and cloud only.

I guess it is as much a matter of personal preference as anything else. My experience with iTunes has been perfect, over several Macs and a dozen years. I prefer to keep everything on my hard drive where I can back it up and have it available at all times. I am still a bit paranoid about anybody's cloud (Apple, Google, Adobe, anyone), as far as privacy and availability go.

I do use iCloud, for Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, and Safari bookmarks. It is handy to have those in sync on all three devices, and I am not too concerned about the privacy of those items. But, I also keep those same things backed up to my hard drive once a week.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post