SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can a snake climb a brick wall? (Warning snake pic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a snake climb a brick wall? (Warning snake pic) Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been watching a pair of nesting birds feed their young for the last month or so. They built a nest on a speaker I have mounted outside on a brick wall under my soffit. Today I look out and notice mom and dad sitting on the railing looking back at their nest so I peak out the window and see all 3 of their chicks laying dead on my patio.

I had some running to do so I left for a couple hours and when I got home there was a black snake polishing off the last dead chick.

Did the snake use the guttering to scale the wall then come across the roof and then drop under the soffit onto the nest or can they scale a brick wall. Why does the snake kill the chicks and drop them out of the nest to only come down and eat them while on the patio.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Brick walls are no problem for snakes...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Snakes can climb. Some do it more than others. Black snakes are big on bird eggs.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there anything these creepy bastards can’t do?

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Show you jazz hands.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Brick walls are no problem for snakes...

That's impressive.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I would of lost a bet on that one...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is the one I discovered a few years back while at work on a chimney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...OGk&feature=youtu.be

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You needed to put the link between the flash video brackets.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blume9mm:
This is the one I discovered a few years back while at work on a chimney:

Bless you for that, King Snakes and Black Racers are great to have around.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, the same way they climb trees.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
Bless you for that, King Snakes and Black Racers are great to have around.

Yep.

I don't mind garter snakes, black snakes, or kingsnakes. They keep the rodent population down, and some even eat other less desirable snakes. So they're good to have around.

But if it's brown and even slightly viper-ish looking, it's dead!

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I have a brick house. It was only one time, but I did see a black snake crawling straight up the side of my house.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
Where are you located? Here in Tennessee if you see one and wonder "how did it get up there?", it's probably a Gray Ratsnake, Pantherophis spiloides.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1215 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes. Saw a black snake on the second story brick wall of a townhouse a few years ago.

When I first saw it I did a double-take.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You don’t come in mom’s house and mess with her parakeet.
She had hung her parakeet’s cage about eye level in the middle of a bare wall. One day, she found a snake in that cage, but no parakeet. Good snake or not, she terminated him with extreme prejudice for consuming her beloved bird.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Chicks fall out of nests and die. Happens all the time. If the snake was involved, it probably scared them out of the nest.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lithog:
Where are you located? Here in Tennessee if you see one and wonder "how did it get up there?", it's probably a Gray Ratsnake, Pantherophis spiloides.

Just outside of St.Louis. I thought it was a black snake but it did have a nice brown pattern to it when the light hit it correctly.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
We have Gray Rat Snakes here in the South. They're great climbers and they can climb almost any vertical surface.

The worrisome thing is that copperheads are beginning to climb here as well. A guy got bitten recently when he ducked under a limb and got hit by a snake in the tree. It may have to do with their love of eating emerging cicadas.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Say "got it" when you see it.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post