Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dremel Tool Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just bought a battery powered Dremel and a spare battery. I have an older corded one, too.

I think the convenience of cordless will get this used more, especially by the wife.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Amazingly useful tool.

But keep it away from your guns.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the corded version. It is handy when you need it.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my Dremel for 25+ years. It's my go tool for removing the finger bumps on my Glocks. I use it to clean up the front strap trigger guard connection on my Glocks to give me a higher hand hold. Some times I remove the curve of the trigger guard and make it more rounded to make it more pleasing to my eyes.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've had the old corded long-flexible shaft version hanging at the end of my bench for about 25 years. Have all the little sets of stuff to plug into it.

One of those 'good idea' tools that buddies raved about in their various hobbies.

Despite efforts to incorporate its virtues into my basic little chores, I rarely use it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I also have the Bosch variable speed Rotozip. With a flexible shaft it accepts all my Dremel type accessories and works great.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
7 or 10 year old corded 2-speed one for me. (Replaced a low $ cordless model that the battery died pretty quickly). Works fine, invaluable when you need it. I don't have a proper grinder or cut-off tool, so the Dremel probably gets used for some stuff that is much bigger than it was designed for. Only dig would be some of the bits and accessories are pretty $$ (But the tool is cheap, so I guess its kinda like a printer and ink cartridges).

FWIW, Main thing we use it for is trimming the dogs nail.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for a first power tool for a child I would probably choose a dremel.

I had one as a kid it was pretty weak. They just seem like the tool for people who don't really have tools.

I am not talking about the flex shaft ones those seem pretty decent for what they are for.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the corded with variable speed....they BELONG in most all workshops!!! I have used my current one(a lot) for the last 20 years plus.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use this Cordless one. pretty light use, no problems. Battery lasts pretty well. Get two battery model and you never have to wait for it to charge. Not sure how it would hold up to daily/heavy use. For my light use it's perfect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
If I was looking for a first power tool for a child I would probably choose a dremel.

I had one as a kid it was pretty weak. They just seem like the tool for people who don't really have tools.

Not at all. Like I said: I have one of the originals. You can do an amazing number of things with a Dremel tool.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Dremel tools with cord and cordless. I have used both Tools for a lot of jobs. It comes down to using the right tool for the job. Battery power is nice but some jobs need the power of a corded Dremel.

The right tool for the job. Trying to use something for a job that is not best for its capabilites can end in a less than satisfactory solution.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Mine died after about 10 years of use and abuse. I still haven't replaced it.

I'd stick with the corded variable speed units, and don't bother with any cutoff wheels except either the diamond ones or the genuine fiberglass reinforced ones. Any others are too thin and break almost immediately. Their carbide engraving burrs are pretty nice too.

Black, the issue isn't that the Rotozip came with both collets, it's that (as I receall) there's a special collet that's basically a capped nut with a square hole broached into the closed end. The flex shaft attachment has a square shaft that mates up with this to transfer power to the collet on the flex head. If you had a machine shop it's pretty easy to make a collet, but that requires more time, money, and energy than it would to just simply go buy a Dremel kit and keep/maintain both tools.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I don't have a flex shaft but would the dremel one not work? All my other dremel accessories work.
Not sure why I never have a flex shaft but pretty sure I need one now.

I have an older Dremel with the flex shaft, and truth is, if you bend the shaft very much the drive shaft retracts in the sheath and disconnects from the back of the collet. I'll be working on something, move the shaft a bit, and it stops spinning. I'll have to straighten it out to get back to work. I like the Dremel OK, and necessary when I need it, but find the cutting wheels pretty fragile and expensive.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I've had a variable speed corded Dremel for some time. I don't remember exactly how long, but I do remember the biggest project I used it for was 16 years ago.

It's extremely versatile, and I've used it for a bunch of things. Just always bear in mind it's a 'small' tool. Stay away from big jobs requiring big tools with real power, and you'll be pretty happy.

I don't know if Dremel's quality/durability has gone down in recent years, because I've had mine a long time. But mine has lasted a long time.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
After a few Dremels I got a Foredom.
Made a handy portable carriage for it.
Very nice tools.

This ^
Get a Foredom and never look back.

I have had mine since 1975 and used it to port motorcycle cylinder heads and 2-stroke cylinders for about 15 years.
I still use it often for other projects.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post