Find
Notify
Tools

Dremel Tool Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Please educate me on Dremel Tools.

Battery or corded, speeds, package deals, hints and tricks, etc.

I've never had or used one, but I think I would find it very useful soon for some projects, and Black Friday is right around the corner.

Thanks

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had what amounts to their “Model #1” for about four decades. Corded, basic, but a very handy machine. If I were to do it again, I think I would still have a corded model.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
They have their place, but they are not the end-all tool. Buy a variable speed corded model. About every thing else can be purchased as needed as an accessory.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Variable speed corded.

An oscillating tool I find just as handy.

What projects you planning on?

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
They have their place, but they are not the end-all tool. Buy a variable speed corded model. About every thing else can be purchased as needed as an accessory.

This. Their diamond bladed cutting wheels are absolutely amazing in how they cut, but they're about $20 each for a little wheel.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
An incredibly useful tool.
I have one that is corded and has the flexible extended shaft that hangs like an IV drip bag on my main workbench.
Love it.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I had the original corded model for many years and when it came time to replace I went with the battery powered version. Been very happy with that. Great tool for cutting, grinding, shaping, etc.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've bought 4-5 Dremels and each one lasted less time than the one before it, until I stopped buying them. Bought the one Black & Decker sells for a lot less money and have been happy with it for 12-15 years.

I have a cordless Dremel at work and it never gets used because it's fairly useless. I'm sure battery tech has improved and maybe they're better now, but I still wouldn't buy a cordless one.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
After a few Dremels I got a Foredom.
Made a handy portable carriage for it.
Very nice tools.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
After a few Dremels I got a Foredom.
Made a handy portable carriage for it.
Very nice tools.

They are the best and equipped with variable speed control and cable. I got mine a long time ago like the mid 70's. They were expensive back then and are now close to $300 or more.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I have a corded kit that's several years old. I don't use it often but once in a while it's exactly what I need and I'm glad I have it. Definitely for finer, more precise grinding, cutting, polishing work. Anything requiring any sort of muscle or time and it's inadequate. As long as you understand it's place they are handy. For example, I used it a few months ago to grind of the cover off and then grind a slot in an old stripped out license plate screw. it saved me a lot of time.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My battery power Dremel did not last long at all and lacked in power. When it died it was replaced with a corded Rotozip Rotosaw. It is a much better tool in my opinion.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have two Dremels, corded and battery, and also a RotoZip, they all have their sweet spots. The latter is 10x the tool of the Dremel, but 1/4" shaft, rather than 1/8" shaft so far less versatile. If a 1/4" flex shaft were available, the choice would be obvious.

Corded variable-speed Dremel, with a flex shaft, is probably the most appropriate tool for most folks.

DeWalt and others make similar cordless rotary tools that may be a better fit if one has already bought into a specific vendor's battery/charger arrangement.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I have used my Dremel tool (corded, variable) in so many ways - it boggles the mind. I've used it to cut pipe, get a "locking lug nut" off of a stud, hobby projects, gunsmith projects, and many others. They have every attachment you could ever think of, and they're rather affordable on amazon.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I have two Dremels, corded and battery, and also a RotoZip, they all have their sweet spots. The latter is 10x the tool of the Dremel, but 1/4" shaft, rather than 1/8" shaft so far less versatile. If a 1/4" flex shaft were available, the choice would be obvious.

Roto-Zips used to come with two collets (1/4 and 1/8), do they not include the 1/8 anymore?

If not, you can buy them:
https://www.google.com/search?...i160k1.0.o6lY4QphrSE

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cant be seriously considered as a gun plumber until you are Dremel equipped. I have the corded model. And it does appear that Dremel brand quality is in decline. When my current one gives out, I will go Rotozip.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Invaluable tool to be sure, but you have to remember that it's easier to remove material than it is to add it.

Less is more.

I always say about the Dremel, it's the tool that makes a bad idea seem perfectly reasonable.

I have battery and corded.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Definitely corded, had a battery powered version at one point and it was a total piece of crap and batteries no longer held a charge after a short time.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Corded variable-speed Dremel, with a flex shaft, is probably the most appropriate tool for most folks.

DeWalt and others make similar cordless rotary tools that may be a better fit if one has already bought into a specific vendor's battery/charger arrangement.

My kit came with both size collets and a spare of each size.
I don't have a flex shaft but would the dremel one not work? All my other dremel accessories work.
Not sure why I never have a flex shaft but pretty sure I need one now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have an original, single-speed Dremel. Have had it for who-knows-how-long. Terrific tool. I have a battery-powered Dremel, with two battery packs, I was given for Christmas several years ago, which has seen more use since I got it. But if it's a more demanding job, or the batteries are empty, I fall back to my trusty old corded one.

I also have an original RotoZip and, more recently, a RotoZip RotoSaw and the RotoZip Direct Drive Cut-Off attachment for it. The original is smaller and more manoeuvrable, but the newer one is variable speed, has dust collection and can take the cut-off attachment.

Which of these tools is the best tool for the job depends upon the job. I've used all of the above-listed tools, many times each.

If I were going to start from scratch I'd have a variable speed corded Dremel and a RotoZip RotoSaw.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post