SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pulp fiction books from the 40s (pics inside)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulp fiction books from the 40s (pics inside) Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Pulled this from my wife's old homestead before they bulldozed it. Shame they're a little degraded, but there's a lot of them here. Comics or dime store novels from the 1940s. Not sure if they're worth anything. Probably not more than a few dollars each I'd expect (if that). Thought some of you guys would get a kick out of seeing some Genuine "Pulp Fiction"!

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The art on those old pulp magazines is amazing. Smile Some of it (not these) is fairly risqué.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Karma? For sale?

I would love one of the western ones, just to read the real thing. One that is too degraded to sell, that is.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
Karma? For sale?

I would love one of the western ones, just to read the real thing. One that is too degraded to sell, that is.

Lemme root through and air them out a bit, and then you got it, I'll hook you up! Shoot me an email.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's always worthwhile to go online and take a look at prices. You wouldn't believe what some of the old forty-cent paperback copies of Erle Stanley Gardner's Cool & Lam series are going for.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Like any other paper collectible, condition is just about everything, unfortunately. But they can be enjoyed as reading copies...I have a number of modern reprint collections of mystery and horror pulp tales, and the better stories are a hoot.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin rodeo romances Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Big Grin rodeo romances Big Grin

I've been a pulp fiction fan for quite a while now, and along with a decent number of fiction-reprint collections have probably close to two dozen non-fiction books that examine the pulp industry in its era...I think I enjoy reading *about* the pulps more than I do reading the pulps themselves. Anyway and interestingly, another western romance pulp -- Ranch Romances -- was one of the more popular pulp magazines of its time.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I love the detective stories of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler. Set in the '30s and '40s. Cell phones would've made life for their fictional detectives a helluva lot easier.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post