SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Outdoor Nationals, Day 4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Outdoor Nationals, Day 4 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
2018 Outdoor Nationals is over. Our daughter drew a hard matchup in the brackets today and was eliminated in the first round by the girl who went on to win it all.

Nothing really to report on how she did, I wasn't there. With the attitude she displayed the day before I did not want to witness it again or be on the receiving end of it.

We've got a couple of days in Williamsburg, VA before heading home. We'll have a long talk. If the choice comes down to having a relationship with my daughter or being involved in archery, I'll be walking away from archery.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. I'm having similar issues with my daughter. We're just back from the USSSA Fastpitch Nationals and while she played pretty well her attitude has become a problem.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...We'll have a long talk. If the choice comes down to having a relationship with my daughter or being involved in archery, I'll be walking away from archery."

I understand that you are thinking, worrying, deciding, hoping, wishing, etc., etc., but does your " I'll" mean you or both?
Teenagers, tough calls and decisions, constantly varying as their emotions, hormones, and experiences change.
Maybe just a vacation from archery will give you some ease from pressure, before final decisions.
If Maya continues with archery, you and your wife will be there also, maybe just observing, and cheering and/or consoling. Defining a parents role in a child's activities, tough call, nothing stays the same!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar (maybe less intense) peaks & valleys of moods in my own grand kids. Both have been in school sports rather intensely.

Competition helps them mature regardless of win/lose IMHO.

The advantages of training & discipline are resident long after whatever snit of the moment is resolved.

At times I've been unable to discern whether anxiety of not competing or fear of losing have been more prevalent.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if we are talking about parents / children fighting over a sport and people not able to participate / watch due to attitudes, I really fail to see the benefit of it. Sure there will be occasional issues but this seems to have become more systemic the last 3-ish months or so.

You are obviously REALLY invested in this, otherwise there wouldn't be as many posts about it over the past 5-ish years. That's hard to walk away from but life is too short, especially childhood / parenthood, for that kind of drama (IMO). But maybe this is just another temporary thing which you both will get over.

I've known a bunch of successful people in my life and while most played sports at some junction, only a handful really pushed the National Level - and they really aren't any more successful that those who didn't go beyond rec sports - and none of them made money or a career out of it.

So believe it or not, Maya can have a wonderful, successful life - with or without Archery.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Enjoy Williamsburg. There's a lot to see there.

On of our most memorable kids breakdown was at "The Whaling Company" restaurant in Williamsburg. 25 years later we can smile about it but I'm not sure if they would allow us back

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasty things in the pubs in Williamsburg. And check out the rifle making, especially the barrel making.

I’m a fan of Old Stitch Brown Ale, only available in Williamsburg. Grab one, and good luck.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
And check out the rifle making, especially the barrel making.

Found it! Actually the second place we went to after entering the park. And it's only $10k and a 2 year wait to get a custom made rifle from them.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post