SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    be careful on the country roads , it's harvest time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

be careful on the country roads , it's harvest time Login/Join 
posted
Its that time of year again ,
the slow moving farm machines are out and about on the roads ,
so leave a little bit early , take a little more time.

there has been two accidents in our area already .
tractors , sprayers and the like are a fact of life ,
you killing one or two of the farmers will not
change the world.

just your world.

Please use caution while on the rural roads

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Year round fact of life around here.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. Suiting up for a country road ride in a little while. I absolutely hate coming around a curve a little fast and coming up on a disc or something similar.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tuesday , a fella doing 55 m.p.h. decided to pass four cars and a tractor with a disc,
and of course the tractor turned left in to his driveway at the exact same time.

both went to the hospital , both treated and released.

car and disc totaled,

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in rural Wisconsin and learned quickly. The farmers also drive around slowly to compare corn fields and how they are growing. Of course this is later in the season.

I also remember how BAD it smelled when the ground thawed in the fields and barnyard.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable is right. Gotta watch out for tractor chases as well. This guy hit 22 mph at one point. Here:

Illinois man leads police on 2-county tractor chase. LinK: http://wgntv.com/2018/04/27/il...ounty-tractor-chase/

ATHENS, Ill. — A suburban man on a large tractor led police on a low-speed chase through two counties Thursday, according to the Menard County Sheriff’s Office.

It all started when Daniel Moose, 29, was spotted driving a large farm tractor erratically through a subdivision in rural Athens, authorities said.

When police tried to stop Moose, he refused to brake — and instead rode his tractor along Menard County roads, farm fields and open grass areas. He at one point tried to strike a police car with the tractor, the sheriff’s office said; he failed.

@RichSaal
Multiple police agencies chased man in John Deere tractor through farm fields and along the Sangamon River levee in Menard County before he stopped and surrendered on the Sangamon Valley Trail bike path. Story coming soon.

3:27 PM - Apr 26, 2018
See Rich Saal's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
According to the State Journal-Register, the chase hit an estimated top speed of 22 mph before it finally ended in Sangamon County, where Moose was bested by a narrow bridge on the Sangamon Valley Trail.

Law enforcement from multiple towns and both counties traveled ahead of the tractor Thursday to warn other motorists and block intersections, the Menard County sheriff said. Officers were able to talk to Moose at several points; he refused to stop and made suicidal remarks, authorities said.

Moose, of Athens, is in custody. The Menard and Sangamon County state’s attorneys are reviewing the case.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Tip Bendable.

Years ago, where I worked there were about 5 of us that would ride motorcycles to work almost year round.
One of them was riding at dusk one day and rode under the back of a farm wagon pulling out onto a country road. He was decapitated. It was a shocking story for us back then. It was bad enough to lose him but going that way...?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi Bendable,
I just looked up Henry County IL. Some of that farm equipment may be working my wife's family acreage just outside Galesburg. Her brother inherited it from their Mom.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly do hate running into sidewalk farmers on the road. I like cars that handle, so driving a slow car slow really takes all the fun out of a country road for me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what sidewalk farmers are

posted Hide Post
The term "sidewalk farmers" refers to individuals who live in urban areas and drive to the country to care for their crops and livestock. Popular in other locales in earlier days.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We lost a young man, High School student, a couple years ago in my county. Car hit the back of his tractor so hard it broke the mid size tractor into.

You'll also occasionally come across a farm machine or truck & trailer etc parked in the road as the operator goes back to close a gate as well. Usually you have room to go around... unless someone is coming the other way.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I don't know what sidewalk farmers are

Here, a less than friendly expression for a "farmer" that puts more miles on his equipment on blacktop than he does hours on it on dirt. I understand people can no longer buy large plots (several hundred acres) together without hitting the lotto. I just wish those farmers with several fields over several miles would be cognizant of things like bus traffic, shift change and to/from work traffic while puddering along at 5-10mph blocking a lane or more of traffic and any visibility I may have on tree lined rural two lane roads.

I have two examples I really enjoy encountering:
Combine taking up a lane and a half of a 55mph two lane road, so I have to either get nearly in the ditch or pray for a driveway to pull into so we can pass.
A farmer on the east end of my small town who travels a residential street in a 4wd dual wheel enclosed Deere with seed drill/chisel plow/ insert pull type equipment of your choice during the early morning and mid day time frame to avoid the two traffic lights on main street. Clear across town, several times a season. With street parking, he basically turns the already not wide enough street into one way flow.
Loaded, unsecured bale wagons are also common on local roads.

While I obviously am not a fan of running into them on the road, especially given what and how I drive, I have lived here long enough to know to watch out for them and Amish (a whole other rant). Thank you for the reminder either way.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how far is "all the way across town "?
16 miles ? 20 ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
how far is "all the way across town "

Two four way stops and a blinking red light at the busy intersection by the feed store.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
how far is "all the way across town "
Two four way stops and a blinking red light at the busy intersection by the feed store.
Is the feed store near the Shell station?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wrong member

posted Hide Post
About 8 blocks of residential streets, houses about every 100-150'. No feed store, but 2 banks, a grocer, 2 churches, one with a day care operation and the local elementary school. One blinky light, 2 4 way stops. No Shell, but BP is on main st with the library and the auto shop.
I don't even know if our state capital is 16 miles across... what kinda villages do they have in Il? I think it denotes population under 5k around here.

posted Hide Post
1 mile by 1 mile , two water towers, a barber shop, 3 bars and a Casey's
corn and beans on all four sides

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the feed store near the Shell station?

No Shell Station we have a Texaco FUll SERVICE. It is closed weekends and five oclock on weekdays FYI.